By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - More Americans died in Chicago than in the Iraq & Afghanistan wars combined

I live on the South Side of Chicago. It's one of the better neighborhoods, but shit still goes down from time to time. We are literally surrounded by shit neighborhoods and most the trouble used to come from outside. Lately a whole bunch of gangbangers have been moving in and tensions have been high from time to time. Lots of Cops and Firefighters live in Hegewisch though so it'll be interesting how this will work over time. Although the neighborhood is divided from the little downtown section and has a South Side / North Side feel to it. Can't wait to move out though as I don't feel as safe as I once was. Honestly it's not even a black/white/Hispanic thing, it's more of a decent people who just want to work and be peaceful and trash who don't care if they live or die.

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

Around the Network
pleaserecycle said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Ahh, the love hate relationship I have with my city.. Ironically I live in one of the safest towns in the nation which is not far outside Chicago (south west burbs). Most of this crime is on our south side. Gangs n' such.. Basically, you probably won't catch me going to a home White Sox game anytime soon - and if I do, I won't be hanging around the area long after the game..

Yeah, it's a shame that so many people are writing off the entire city of Chicago because of shootings that mostly occur in the south and west sides.  Even Comiskey/Guaranteed Rate Field is a good area.  

However it is a disgrace to the entire city to be so rich and be so poor and violent in a few miles of each other.

LadyJasmine said:
pleaserecycle said:

Yeah, it's a shame that so many people are writing off the entire city of Chicago because of shootings that mostly occur in the south and west sides.  Even Comiskey/Guaranteed Rate Field is a good area.  

However it is a disgrace to the entire city to be so rich and be so poor and violent in a few miles of each other.

Would you mind elaborating?  I'm not sure how that relates to my post.

pleaserecycle said:
LadyJasmine said:

I meant  I find people in Chicago and many American Cities think minorities and poor people = high crime = normal.

Which is absurd really as that is not the case in Canada.

Arkham City.

Around the Network
LadyJasmine said:
pleaserecycle said:

I meant  I find people in Chicago and many American Cities think minorities and poor people = high crime = normal.

In the case of Chicago, most of the violence occurs in low-income neighborhoods that contain high percentages of minority populations (see Englewood, Austin, West Garfield Park).  I've never met anyone in the city who believes that minorities are inherently more violent than non-minorities; the general consensus is that the frequent school closings and unemployment in these neighborhoods leads to increased gang activity and violence.  

pleaserecycle said:
LadyJasmine said:

In the case of Chicago, most of the violence occurs in low-income neighborhoods that contain high percentages of minority populations (see Englewood, Austin, West Garfield Park).  I've never met anyone in the city who believes that minorities are inherently more violent than non-minorities; the general consensus is that the frequent school closings and unemployment in these neighborhoods leads to increased gang activity and violence.  

Yes and people in the city just accept it as normal suggesting most people are just passively racist towards blacks. 

Just because people dont say things out does not mean they dont in thier mind or just normally.

I been to the city and it seems people in the city could care less that 100s of people get murdered each year. 

LadyJasmine said:
pleaserecycle said:

Yes and people in the city just accept it as normal suggesting most people are just passively racist towards blacks. 

Just because people dont say things out does not mean they dont in thier mind or just normally.

I been to the city and it seems people in the city could care less that 100s of people get murdered each year. 

I'm not sure there is anything I can say to change your perspective.  I'm not doubting that racist people live in Chicago, but it feels unfair to discredit an entire city, in which more than half of the population is a minority, because of those types of people.  

If you think that´s alarming... you should check some Latin American cities, like Rio de Janeiro or Guatemala City...

Chicago is a very left-leaning city with 85% voting Democrat over the last elections.

http://www.chicagomag.com/city-life/November-2016/Chicago-Election-Results-President/