By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - BOTW: French video game site teases 20/20 score, Square Enix France reacts

spurgeonryan said:
guiduc said:

I'm trying to look over, it's not as well-structured as IGN per se... Nope, Wind Waker is the only game that was awarded a 20/20. I recall the scandal that ensued this decision, reviewer was fired and all... The only two perfect scores Jeuxvideo.com has ever given are Legend of Zelda games. So BotW is the lucky bastard.

Botw is lucky, but the reviewer is probably fired.

Yes, the only lucky thing is the game itself. I'm picturing the meltdown that will follow the end of the embargo on March 2nd...

Around the Network

What if it is Nier that got the perfect score?

guiduc said:
The Fury said:
Are they harsher than EDGE? Good on them. Edge is soft nowadays.

In giving perfect scores? Yes they are. Only 2 of them since 1997. French are among the harshest out there... Sometimes even though I speak the same language, people from France annoy the fuck out of me They're so critical over everything

In the school system, a 16/20 is considered excellent, average at 12-13...

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

guiduc said:
The Fury said:
Are they harsher than EDGE? Good on them. Edge is soft nowadays.

In giving perfect scores? Yes they are. Only 2 of them since 1997. French are among the harshest out there... Sometimes even though I speak the same language, people from France annoy the fuck out of me They're so critical over everything

It always depends on the reviewer. JV.com isn't that harsh IMO. Even Gamekult, known for really harsh scores, sometimes gives great scores because the reviewer is a fan of the series (one of them, for example, is a huge fan of Souls games, another is a fan of indie games...). The users usually bet on the score of big games as soon as they know who is handling the reviews. And then, in their talk shows, other reviewers sometimes disagree with the official reviewer... 

So harsh, yes, but sometimes still able to behave and write like fanboys or kids at Christmas. 

Faelco said:
guiduc said:

It always depends on the reviewer. JV.com isn't that harsh IMO. Even Gamekult, known for really harsh scores, sometimes gives great scores because the reviewer is a fan of the series (one of them, for example, is a huge fan of Souls games, another is a fan of indie games...). The users usually bet on the score of big games as soon as they know who is handling the reviews. And then, in their talk shows, other reviewers sometimes disagree with the official reviewer... 

So harsh, yes, but sometimes still able to behave and write like fanboys or kids at Christmas. 

Inevitably, behind every review, there's a flawed human being. But given the circumstances, and the fact that last time it happened 14 years ago, I am still confident that this game truly shines.

Around the Network
guiduc said:
Faelco said:

Inevitably, behind every review, there's a flawed human being. But given the circumstances, and the fact that last time it happened 14 years ago, I am still confident that this game truly shines.

Yeah, I was just answering to the "harshest" part, because it's the first time I've heard that about jeuxvideo.com ^^. 

In France, jeuxvideo.com are known for having quite irregular review scores (they sometimes really overrate a game, sometimes the opposite), Gameblog is known for non-stop clickbait (mixed with lies and/or wrong info), and Gamekult is known for being generally harsh and overly critical (they like to be "different" and think of themselves as the "elite" compared to other game sites). 

Dualshockers, on the other hand, seems to be threatening an extremely low score, concentrating almost exclusively on technical elements.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Faelco said:
guiduc said:

Yeah, I was just answering to the "harshest" part, because it's the first time I've heard that about jeuxvideo.com ^^. 

In France, jeuxvideo.com are known for having quite irregular review scores (they sometimes really overrate a game, sometimes the opposite), Gameblog is known for non-stop clickbait (mixed with lies and/or wrong info), and Gamekult is known for being generally harsh and overly critical. 

Yes, you're right. About jeuxvideo.com, I only stated that the harsh part was getting a perfect score, in a way. The harsh comment was about French in general, their general attitude towards the gaming industry. Very critical people (I spend so much time on their websites, and the comments sometimes...)

guiduc said:
Faelco said:

In France, jeuxvideo.com are known for having quite irregular review scores (they sometimes really overrate a game, sometimes the opposite), Gameblog is known for non-stop clickbait (mixed with lies and/or wrong info), and Gamekult is known for being generally harsh and overly critical. 

Yes, you're right. About jeuxvideo.com, I only stated that the harsh part was getting a perfect score, in a way. The harsh comment was about French in general, their general attitude towards the gaming industry. Very critical people (I spend so much time on their websites, and the comments sometimes...)

Yep, that's pretty much our culture. And you're lucky to just read that on Internet, it can be worse IRL, and not only about video games. We're one of the most pessimistic nations in the world when asked about the future IIRC, it's not just for show! :D

Wow they fired the guy for giving WW a perfect score? Wonder how they felt later when the game was finally appreciated for what it is and not blinded by the art style. Hope that guy got a good new job.

How do we know SE was joking? Just curious. Not trying to start some fight or anything.

But good for BotW if the score if for that. Only like 3 days left or so. So excited.

Watched a little of Horizon yesterday while going into blackout mode for Zelda. That looks pretty good. Hoping you can turn off all the indicators though. Annoying imo seeing all of the icons showing you plants, rocks, twigs, ect. The goal icon in front of you every 20 yards and directing you constantly to the goal. Those things annoy me. I would think you could turn them off. Also as a reviewer stated, the whistle to the tall grass/silent take down is way too OP. Otherwise looks beautiful, story is intriguing, world looks interesting and I want to play it someday.