By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Getting shit done (ie. Success)

Do you view yourself as successful?

Yes 18 42.86%

No 13 30.95%

Somewhat! 11 26.19%

Total:42

My recent quote I've been following is "what's stopping you"

Around the Network
robzo100 said:
Farsala said:
Doing whatever I want, and not letting anybody stop me.

I don't know how old you are, but in your experience so far how much has resistance from close friends and family been a factor? Sometimes I notice people who ahve a lot of support from friends and family, and then others don't for whatever reason, making this statement an easier sell for some and not others.

superchunk said:

I also really like Amazon's leadership principles.
http://www.amazon.jobs/principles

Hey, nice one!

Well my immediate family is really poor, uneducated, addicts etc. So I strive to be the opposite of them most of the time. And I have very few friends as I am quite different from most people.

But none of that stops me from continuously adapting and enjoying life.

Just keep working.

When you twist your ankle, you can always heal it eventually.

When you lose money, you can always gain it back eventually.

If you waste time however, you can never recover it.

Success is 90% luck and 10% genetics.
I say that as someone who feels fairly successful in life. Truth is I had a lot of luck that I did do nothing really to deserve.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I think I'm successful and all I did was work my hardest at whatever job I had until something better came along. Never made any excuses, and treated people with respect.

Currently have almost zero debt and I can bank about a grand a month after paying my bills and going crazy buying things I don't need and eating out.

Around the Network

Years ago when I was 21 living in Atlanta, I worked in a shoe store. A customer was leaving out and I said "Couldn't find anything?"

He said, "Nah. I needed soccer cleats and you guys didn't have them."

I said, "Actually, I think we do." And tore up the storage area until I found them.

The guy thanked me and said something like "Hey, I don't know if you're interested but give me a call. I don't know your background but if you want to do something better, I can help you out. You are just about the only one motivated in here." And gave me a business card.

I thanked him. Never called by I never forgot, either. Just being motivated at a $6.50 an hour job opened a door for me. I didn't take advantage but I could have. And that has happened repeatedly throughout my life.

theprof00 said:
why is that picture blurred

It seemed appropriate

d21lewis said:

Years ago when I was 21 living in Atlanta, I worked in a shoe store. A customer was leaving out and I said "Couldn't find anything?"

I said, "Actually, I think we do." And tore up the storage area until I found them.

The guy thanked me and said something like "Hey, I don't know if you're interested but give me a call. I don't know your background but if you want to do something better, I can help you out. You are just about the only one motivated in here." And gave me a business card.

I thanked him. Never called by I never forgot, either. Just being motivated at a $6.50 an hour job opened a door for me. I didn't take advantage but I could have. And that has happened repeatedly throughout my life.

And that man was Steve Jobs. 

Only advice I would ever give anyone is simply this, complacency is death.

TheLastStarFighter said:
d21lewis said:

And that man was Steve Jobs. 

I'm glad I didn't call, then. I dislike Apple products!