By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales- Switch Year 1 vs 3DS and Wii U

1million here we come!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
SuperNova said:

Turns out you're likely right.

For now the race to overtake the 3DS until it's pricecut begins. It'll have to build up quite a comfotable cushion in order to stand a chance againt it.

With Nintendos productions targets moving up constantly it might be possible. Newest reports say they want to produce 20m by March 2018, so lets see how that goes.

Since not everyone knows it and because your post is as good as any to mention it: Using the 3DS as the bar is reaching for the stars, because the 3DS holds the record for the highest sales within the first twelve months of launch by a comfortable margin. It did ~5m.

I (personally) realize that, but one can have unreasonable hopes right? :P

RolStoppable said:

Since not everyone knows it and because your post is as good as any to mention it: Using the 3DS as the bar is reaching for the stars, because the 3DS holds the record for the highest sales within the first twelve months of launch by a comfortable margin. It did ~5m.

I agree that it's a completely unfair comparison. The 3DS was not handicapped by its own success in the US as the Switch is.

PS, are you sure the GBA didn't beat that? Not even close?

Shadow1980 said:

Chart update! Now extended to 26 weeks.

The Switch is faring well against the 3DS for now. But in the 3DS's 25th week it got a price cut, and for nearly two years it consistently stayed over 50k/week. Increasing the supply (and maybe also a price cut ahead of the holidays) are going to be essential in keeping the Switch on par with the 3DS.

Nice graph, really puts into perspective how dominant Nintendo is in Japan.

Jranation said:
1million here we come!

Most likely ARMS launch week, so in 3 weeks.

Shadow1980 said:

Chart update! Now extended to 26 weeks.

The Switch is faring well against the 3DS for now. But in the 3DS's 25th week it got a price cut, and for nearly two years it consistently stayed over 50k/week. Increasing the supply (and maybe also a price cut ahead of the holidays) are going to be essential in keeping the Switch on par with the 3DS.

There no any reason that Switch receives price cut this year, Nintendo still cant keep up with demand and they have some system sellers for later this year.

I relly hope Nintendo will have more stocks on Splatoon2 launch.

Around the Network

Too bad for stock problems, Switch would easily outperform PSP and most likely 3DS in same time period.

Assuming that nintendo has enough switches available for splatoon 2's launch and we include the bundle... can anyone see the switch doing over 150k that week alone?

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

I expect the Switch will briefly surpass the 3DS around week 21 (when Splatoon 2 releases), but will quickly fall behind within 2-3 weeks of the 3DS Price drop

uran10 said:
Assuming that nintendo has enough switches available for splatoon 2's launch and we include the bundle... can anyone see the switch doing over 150k that week alone?

My prediction is around 140-160K for that week. It should be huge if they can get the stock in (which I am beginning to doubt).

Bets:

1. If the Wii U sells closer to 10 million LTD by 1/3/2015 I win. If it sells closer to 9.5 million LTD by 1/3/2015 OfficerRaichu15 wins (winner gets 2 weeks of avatar control)--Lost.

uran10 said:

Yes, assuming that Nintendo has enough stocks, I think that Switch could easily do over 150k that week.

RolStoppable said:
SuperNova said:

Turns out you're likely right.

For now the race to overtake the 3DS until it's pricecut begins. It'll have to build up quite a comfotable cushion in order to stand a chance againt it.

With Nintendos productions targets moving up constantly it might be possible. Newest reports say they want to produce 20m by March 2018, so lets see how that goes.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but 3DS sold more in the first 12 months and sold less than the Wii did. It sold 3.6 million as of March 31, 2011 and then sold another 13.5 million in its first full fiscal year. The Wii sold 18 million in its first full fiscal year. But again, maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Visit my site for more

Known as Smashchu in a former life