By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So Switch raw power is 80% of Xbone or more when Docked ?

zippy said:
Barkley said:

That works both ways, it's a title designed around the constraints of a much weaker system yet it still can't attain 1080p on the Switch.

No it doesn't take full advantage of the Switch's capabilities, but equally porting a 720p 30fps WiiU title and only being able to attain 900p is a good indication that the Switch is not 0.9TF.

I've played the remastered version of dishonoured on PS4 and that suffers from huge frame dips. A game ported from last gen hardware to a far superior machine, which is no benchmark to judge the machines power. I will judge the power of the Switch when I play something made from the ground up. Mario Odyssey seems like the best place to start because stuff like arms and Splatoon 2 are quite simplistic in design.

This, currently Mario Odyssey looks like only Switch game that is made from ground just for Switch hardware without reusing assets or other things from Wii U games.

Around the Network

80%? Waaaay too generous.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

Zelda BotW on Switch cannot be evidence or proof of Switch hardware capabilities because it's game that was made from ground with Wii U hardware on mind and its just port to Switch, so Zelda BotW in any case doenst use most of Switch hardware.

That works both ways, it's a title designed around the constraints of a much weaker system yet it still can't attain 1080p on the Switch.

No it doesn't take full advantage of the Switch's capabilities, but equally porting a 720p 30fps WiiU title and only being able to attain 900p is a good indication that the Switch is not 0.9TF.

Does Twilight Princess run at 1080p 60 fps on the WiiU. Cause at least the WiiU cpu is based on the Gamecube.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

firstly 0.9/1.3 is not 80%, it is just below 70%. Secondly given all the information known so far that doesn't seem very likely unless they decided to give it a last minute boost. regardless we will know for certain shortly anyway.

Also what the hell is wrong with those CPU Clocks in HH mode?

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

Zelda BotW on Switch cannot be evidence or proof of Switch hardware capabilities because it's game that was made from ground with Wii U hardware on mind and its just port to Switch, so Zelda BotW in any case doenst use most of Switch hardware.

The game is a straight port, Aonuma confirmed the game only began being ported to Switch around April last year and even then the Switch version has better performance and draw distance.

We just have to accept that the Switch will be like the Wii and Wii U; that is weaker than the competition. I do wonder how long it will be supported though, because surely PS4/XB1 will have their successors out in three years time.

shenlong213 said:

Hi,

Nintendo Switch clock seems to be leaked from China. I'm not sure 100% about the translation, can someone help us to translate it correctly ?

This is what we can easily read from Baidu :

Architecture

516 ARMv8 Cores (512 CUDA Cores + 4 ARMv8 maybe?) Not sure what does it means,

They'are talking about 386 CUDA Cores or maybe 512 Cores CUDA Cores in the comments section.

Handheld mode

• Cpu Core 0 314mhz
  • Cpu Core 1 726mhz
  • Cpu Core 2 726mhz
  • Cpu Core 3 314mhz
  • GPU 275mhz
  • GFLOPS Benchmark : 375 gflops FP32

Docked mode

• Cpu all cores are 2143mhz
  • GPU is 1005mhz
  • GFLOPS Benchmark : 875.77 gflops FP32
It's only a notch below the XBONE with almost 0.9 TFLOPs (Switch when docked) compared to 1.3 Tflops (Xbone). And this is one hell of a custom SoC !

Basically mate the are going to be a lot of people questioning this because it's significantly more powerful than other rumours

Am I missing something or having now actually looked at the Data in the OP propperly isn't it completely illogical?

The GFlops don't make any sense.

Docked: 1005mhz (875.77 GFlops)

Undocked: 275mhz (375 gflops) ???

Look at the clock speeds, with that underclock the Handheld GFlops should be 240GFlops not 375 right? It's a bigger underclock in HH then the EG rumour.

And the CPU clocks in HH mode being SO much lower is crazy.

Barkley said:

Am I missing something or having now actually looked at the Data in the OP propperly isn't it completely illogical?

The GFlops don't make any sense.

Docked: 1005mhz (875.77 GFlops)

Undocked: 275mhz (375 gflops) ???

Look at the clock speeds, with that underclock the Handheld GFlops should be 240GFlops not 375 right? It's a bigger underclock in HH then the EG rumour.

And the CPU clocks in HH mode being SO much lower is crazy.

275MHZ is standby mode not when the platform is running check the GAF link someone posted.