By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon: Zero Dawn Review Thread - MC: 89 / GR: 88.82%

jason1637 said:
88 is a good score. i Predicted 97 so thats nice.

What? No game will ever get this score.

Around the Network

That Destructoid review was pretty bad.  It was nothing, just pure fluff.  I've read much better reviews from Chris Carter before, I'm sure of it.  It's super short and has very little in the way of details.  

His main reason for giving it a low score is that it has "stuff you've seen before".  Not that this stuff is bad but rather that that you've seen it before.  

"Horizon Zero Dawn is a fascinating premise wrapped in a tortilla of tropes. It has detective vision, radio towers, skill trees, masked load screens (Tony Hawk's American Wasteland gets no credit for popularizing this in 2005, by the way), and a world map littered with billions of points of interest -- all stuff you've seen before."

Skill trees?  Points of interest?  MASKED LOADING SCREENS?  How am I supposed to enjoy a game with skill trees and MASKED LOADING SCREENS!

I actually got one of these right for a change

https://youtu.be/btM7-6VvkpI

This makes me wish I could just skip ahead straight to next Tuesday.

LoD, you should highlight those who predicted right the score atm (like me)

Around the Network
Radek said:
MTZehvor said:

Ah, yes. The always reliable "I disagree with it so therefore it must be trolling" method of discrediting a review. A tried, tested, and true measure that works just as effectively as it did on Gamespot's Skyward Sword review five years ago.

Not even Ubisoft games deserve 5/10 but sure have it your way.

Then what exactly is the purpose of a 10 point scale if half of it is considered so insulting it should essentially never be used? If we're going to consistently be rating games from 1-10 (or 1-100), we might as well make consistent use of, y'know, the entire spectrum, not just the 6 and up range.

I am glad the game is reviewing a lot better than I thought. It looks to be 87-89 at metacritic in the end.

pokoko said:

Skill trees?  Points of interest?  MASKED LOADING SCREENS?  How am I supposed to enjoy a game with skill trees and MASKED LOADING SCREENS!

Not to be like the Devil's Advocate, which I am, but the masked loading screens in Max Payne 3 killed plenty of my enjoyement. xD

This-this is the closest I've ever been! If it would just drop one more point...

Great to see it getting such high scores, though. I guess the hype was warranted. Now to just actually read some of the reviews behind those scores.

I think if this were a Naughty Dog game it would get to middle 90s.

It appears the lack of a well craft narrative hurts the score more than any gameplay of graphical achievements.

May be only CD Project can pull this trick in a open world game.