By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon: Zero Dawn Review Thread - MC: 89 / GR: 88.82%

The story of the fat girl surprised me. Until today, I thought It would receive mediocre to bad ratings but it might be the best rated game of the year. Metacritic will rise above 90 for sure. But she should really start a diet, this cannot be healthy.

Around the Network

Of course, some f****** r***** who has literally never written a review before has given it a 5/10. Because of course. If you read it, do so before having a meal. Before!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Of course, some f****** r***** who has literally never written a review has given it a 5/10. Because of course. If you read it, do so before having a meal. Before!

I can't wait for the reactions to some low scores for Breath of the Wild!

pray4mojo said:
estebxx said:
Polygon and the Jimquisition gave it a 9.5, im feeling confident about enjoying this one a lot, this quotes from Jim make me even more sure of it.

"Horizon: Zero Dawn is just brilliant. I speak as a critic who has played more "open sandbox" games than any one human should and has grown so very weary of them. I should have gotten sick of this thing in an hour, but I've been glued to it for days and days and I don't want it to end. I love existing in this world - a world of desperate survival but of growing culture and a sense of hope. A world of giant metal animals that promise some breathtaking fights."

"This is one of the first open world games I’ve played in years that actually caught me in the trap of pursuing sidequests, hunting for collectibles, and scouring ruins for loot because it’s a world I simply love being in. Not only is it gorgeous to look at, it’s packed full of interesting locations and the machine threat is as fascinating as it is intimidating."

Everything he says though doesn't speak about it being innovative and truly fresh. He's basically saying it's another me-too sandbox game, set in a different setting thus... interesting. It's like saying you can't stand horror movies but Freddy Krueger is such an awesome character that you can't stop watching it. In the end, it's STILL another horror movie.

I dont need a game to  be any of those things to be incredibly fun, TLOU is one of the best games ive ever played and nothing about it was truly innovative or fresh, it was just a really well done game.

StreaK said:
BraLoD said:

They started with this gen, as I said, we are in the middle of it and still didn't get a single mid-high 90 score yet (Nintendo already moved consoles without a single of them), and games that were hitting 90s before are now hitting 80s, like Halo, Xenoblade, Gears, Far Cry, Little Big Planet (from 90s to 70s), etc.

Regarding your next post, pretty clear I'm talking about Metacritic on the post you quoted, not GameRankings, so the remark is pointless to that post.

*cough*Uncharted 4*cough*Bloodborne*cough*

Both games are in low 90s, not mid or high 90s. The only two games that manage a 94+ score on PS4 are enhanced editions of last gen games (TLoU and GTA V).

For comparisons sake I looked at all PS3 games on metacritic rated 90+ and same with PS4 games. I counted the games that were made for that generation, so excluded enhanced editions, or HD ports.

PS3 has 49 games rated 90+. Of those 7 being sports games. 3 being music games. And 6 being downloadable only games.

PS4 has 6 games rated 90+. Of those 1 is downloadable only game.

I realize that PS3 has had more time, but the difference shouldn't be that massive. It should be at least a third of that number. So either critics have gotten way harsher and don't give out as high scores anymore, or the quality of games has significantly gone down (which I wouldn't agree with).

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

Of course, some f****** r***** who has literally never written a review before has given it a 5/10. Because of course. If you read it, do so before having a meal. Before!

Yeah, something is up there without a doubt.

The PS5 Exists. 

Of course a clickbait review site is going to fuck up the score. SMH. All the outlets I take seriously have given it 9s across the board. Well done Sony. Great Multiplats and Amazing exclusives. MS needs to get it's shit together.

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

I feel like the game was probably cheated from being a 90+ which it most likely should have been.

That 50 score clickbait review :p

See? 90 was à crazy hope, but 88 is still better than i expected

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

pray4mojo said:
estebxx said:
Polygon and the Jimquisition gave it a 9.5, im feeling confident about enjoying this one a lot, this quotes from Jim make me even more sure of it.

"Horizon: Zero Dawn is just brilliant. I speak as a critic who has played more "open sandbox" games than any one human should and has grown so very weary of them. I should have gotten sick of this thing in an hour, but I've been glued to it for days and days and I don't want it to end. I love existing in this world - a world of desperate survival but of growing culture and a sense of hope. A world of giant metal animals that promise some breathtaking fights."

"This is one of the first open world games I’ve played in years that actually caught me in the trap of pursuing sidequests, hunting for collectibles, and scouring ruins for loot because it’s a world I simply love being in. Not only is it gorgeous to look at, it’s packed full of interesting locations and the machine threat is as fascinating as it is intimidating."

Everything he says though doesn't speak about it being innovative and truly fresh. He's basically saying it's another me-too sandbox game, set in a different setting thus... interesting. It's like saying you can't stand horror movies but Freddy Krueger is such an awesome character that you can't stop watching it. In the end, it's STILL another horror movie.

Yea that's not what everyone is looking for though.  What I want is good games with good stories. This seems to be that game.