By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: Horizon Zero Dawn Cauldren Pics Leaked [SPOILERS]

Mummelmann said:
VGPolyglot said:

I don't understand how it bothers people so much, to be honest. I'm playing OoT at 20FPS and it's not even really noticeable to me.

Habbit and preference, if you're used to 60-70 fps, you really notice massive drops or overall slow frame rates. Much the same way going back to watching VHS movies is a pain today, it becomes the same with games. Older games are a different thing; they have less effects, lower resolutions and more jagged visuals all round, it's not jarring in the same way, but for modern games with HD resolutions or higher, it becomes really noticeable. I don't mind playing older games with low fps, my all time favorite game plays with very low fps since it's from 1993 but it's different in almost every single way.

With my new TV, frame rate drops are more noticeable than ever on PS games. I understand that people probably won't be bothered if it's what they're used to though. It's like when my friend bought his Voodoo 2 graphics card and we were watching a rendering demo and were completely blown away by the quality of the graphics. Needless to say; those graphics look like shit today, but if we stuck with them, we wouldn't mind if they still looked the same.

I guess this issue is more prevalent among PC gamers since a lot of us are spoiled when it comes to the technical side of gaming. Like I said; I understand how some aren't bothered, but for me and others like me, it's really disturbing and becomes a hang-up when you play, kind of like a poor script in a movie with great visual effects, it steals the attention from the good bits.

I guess that's an advantage for playing a lot of early 3D games, it makes me much more tolerant of things like weird cameras and a low frame-rate.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Mummelmann said:

Habbit and preference, if you're used to 60-70 fps, you really notice massive drops or overall slow frame rates. Much the same way going back to watching VHS movies is a pain today, it becomes the same with games. Older games are a different thing; they have less effects, lower resolutions and more jagged visuals all round, it's not jarring in the same way, but for modern games with HD resolutions or higher, it becomes really noticeable. I don't mind playing older games with low fps, my all time favorite game plays with very low fps since it's from 1993 but it's different in almost every single way.

With my new TV, frame rate drops are more noticeable than ever on PS games. I understand that people probably won't be bothered if it's what they're used to though. It's like when my friend bought his Voodoo 2 graphics card and we were watching a rendering demo and were completely blown away by the quality of the graphics. Needless to say; those graphics look like shit today, but if we stuck with them, we wouldn't mind if they still looked the same.

I guess this issue is more prevalent among PC gamers since a lot of us are spoiled when it comes to the technical side of gaming. Like I said; I understand how some aren't bothered, but for me and others like me, it's really disturbing and becomes a hang-up when you play, kind of like a poor script in a movie with great visual effects, it steals the attention from the good bits.

I guess that's an advantage for playing a lot of early 3D games, it makes me much more tolerant of things like weird cameras and a low frame-rate.

I also played most of the early 3D games, and like I said; low frame rates in older games is fine. But being stuck on the same level 20-30 years after is not what I want from my more modern games with more advanced tech. Much the same way I wouldn't want modern movies in black & white with washed out contrast, even though I can appreciate old B&W movies as well today. Weird cameras in older games is fine, non functioning ones in modern games is not (FFXV, I'm looking at you... ).

Frame rates and AI need some serious work in modern gaming, they seem to be stuck at least a decade behind the development of visual effects and audio.

Mummelmann said:
VGPolyglot said:

I also played most of the early 3D games, and like I said; low frame rates in older games is fine. But being stuck on the same level 20-30 years after is not what I want from my more modern games with more advanced tech. Much the same way I wouldn't want modern movies in black & white with washed out contrast, even though I can appreciate old B&W movies as well today. Weird cameras in older games is fine, non functioning ones in modern games is not (FFXV, I'm looking at you... ).

Frame rates and AI need some serious work in modern gaming, they seem to be stuck at least a decade behind the development of visual effects and audio.

Well, I guess another factor is price. I almost always buy games for $5 or less, so my expectations obviously aren't as much as someone who buys a game for full price.