By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4Pro: Beast Mode Tested (Digital Foundry/NXGamer)

iron_megalith said:
If boostmode on pro could do this right now, it will be interesting to see how Scorpio fares granted that they hit the intended performance.

Keep in mind consoles are funny things.

How boost mode on the PS4pro seems to be working is that the PS4pro just leverages the fact that it can run its 6 CPU cores at a higher clock, runs half of its 36CU on the GPU to match the 18CU in the PS4 at a higher clock too and lastly has a higher memory bandwidth. The games we are seeing now are all from those higher stats.

For a game to actually use the exttra GPU hardwarre in the PS4pro or more Ram, it has to have a PS4pro patch. 

I expect this will be the same case with the scorpio.

Around the Network

Reminds me of the backwards compatibility mode for PS2 (playing PS1 games) or PS3 (playing PS2 games). Certain times the improvement is drastic. Other times, it's non-existent. I imagine there will be times where the performance is adversely affected, too.

d21lewis said:
PS3 (playing PS2 games). Certain times the improvement is drastic. Other times, it's non-existent.

The original Ratchet & Clank was unplayable on the PS3. For some reason it ran at about half the speed it should. Didn't find any other PS2 games that had an issue like that though.

Barkley said:
d21lewis said:
PS3 (playing PS2 games). Certain times the improvement is drastic. Other times, it's non-existent.

The original Ratchet & Clank was unplayable on the PS3. For some reason it ran at about half the speed it should. Didn't find any other PS2 games that had an issue like that though.

For me, Metal Gear solid 3--but only during The Fury boss fight. I had to turn that enhancement mode (can't remember the name since my OG PS3 broke) to win. It was like 5 frames per second!

think-man said:
Does it improve the witchers fps?

Abit judgeing by some videos on youtube.

Saw a compairison of a swamp area with fighting, and it looked alot smoother.

Around the Network

It's great news for Playstation gamers.
At-least now there is actually a benefit to buying the Playstation 4 Pro, especially if you have a large amount of games that will never be patched to take advantage of the Playstation 4 Pro.

It's basically taken a similar concept that the Xbox S took, but taken it to the next level. - Hopefully it also sets a good precedent for Microsoft to follow with Scorpio.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
At-least now there is actually a benefit to buying the Playstation 4 Pro, especially if you have a large amount of games that will never be patched to take advantage of the Playstation 4 Pro.

It's basically taken a similar concept that the Xbox S took, but taken it to the next level. - Hopefully it also sets a good precedent for Microsoft to follow with Scorpio.

I think that's a bit too far. There was already a benefit to nearly every game coming out this year and beyond, this is just a nice little cherry on top. 

Ariakon said:
Pemalite said:

I think that's a bit too far. There was already a benefit to nearly every game coming out this year and beyond, this is just a nice little cherry on top. 

It's not too far. And if you kept reading I stipulated that the benefit is if you had a "large amount of games not patched for Playstation 4 Pro".

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Bloodborne, Witcher 3 And Community Requests
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLFatxFg0nM

The PS5 Exists. 

So BB,W3 run basically the same. So much of this Amateur.