By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - F**king Ni No Kuni, why do devs do this?

Lawlight said:
vivster said:
Lol. I hope you never play FFX or FFXII.

I don't recall having to grind in FFXII. And I did beat Yazmat and Zodiarc. Can't really remember FFX but I know I got all the ultimate weapons.

Sounds like you didn't get all the ultimate weapons in FFXII and probably never maxed a sphere grid in FFX. DQ in general and FF1 and 2 also have it as a core mechanic if you don't want to even progress in the story.

Grinding is nice. You can have a fun little zen experience and watch videos or listen to audio books while you're at it. Even if it is mindless it still costs effort. It's called a time penalty. Not the most engaging mechanic but an easy one. Like what Bloodborne does when you die.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

This game has the wrong battle system for such a grind heavy game. I like grinding but this battle system makes it take 3-4X longer than it should. For this I gave up on the game. I still have the Wizards Edition. They need to make II either not grind heavy or have a revamped battle system. That is the games most glaring flaw.

vivster said:
Lawlight said:

I don't recall having to grind in FFXII. And I did beat Yazmat and Zodiarc. Can't really remember FFX but I know I got all the ultimate weapons.

Sounds like you didn't get all the ultimate weapons in FFXII and probably never maxed a sphere grid in FFX. DQ in general and FF1 and 2 also have it as a core mechanic if you don't want to even progress in the story.

Grinding is nice. You can have a fun little zen experience and watch videos or listen to audio books while you're at it. Even if it is mindless it still costs effort. It's called a time penalty. Not the most engaging mechanic but an easy one. Like what Bloodborne does when you die.

Pretty sure FFXIII is the first FF game that I didn't get the ultimate weapons for. Looking at the names of the weapons, yeah, pretty sure I got them. For FFX, there is no need to max a sphere grid.

Lawlight said:
vivster said:

Pretty sure FFXIII is the first FF game that I didn't get the ultimate weapons for. Looking at the names of the weapons, yeah, pretty sure I got them. For FFX, there is no need to max a sphere grid.

There is also no need to do every quest and get platinum. Maxing a sphere grid could easily been a gold trophy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

SegataSanshiro said:
This game has the wrong battle system for such a grind heavy game. I like grinding but this battle system makes it take 3-4X longer than it should. For this I gave up on the game. I still have the Wizards Edition. They need to make II either not grind heavy or have a revamped battle system. That is the games most glaring flaw.

Actually,  they're completely revamping the battle system for the sequel.

Around the Network
m0ney said:
Then don't play it?

That means no purchase, which is never good for the devs.

Its not just the grinding, its how its done. I dont mind FFXII's grinding because it involves you going to different areas to get a specific item to be able to create a specific weapon, not necessarily by the endgame. Ni No Kuni's grinding, on the other hand, demands you stay in the same area to farm for 5 of the exact same item, which can potentially take hours, to get the "ultimate weapons" that you can only use in the post-game. Theres no context in which that is fun.

I love JRPGs, but I cannot imagine going for a platinum in one. I beat them, maybe do some side quests and then I'm done after a good 30-50 hours. I have no interest grinding for hours if the reward is trophies.

Took me 144 hours to get the platinum. It's one of my all time favourite games, but man the grinding was stupid as hell especially in the Glittering Grotto (or whatever it was called).

I feel you, OP.

The games I got platinums for I found the experience boring and not worth the effort. This is the reason I'm glad I'm not a trophy hunter. I find they distract from the main game. They're just pointless awards that give no prize whatsoever, except, "ooo look I've spent hours getting a platinum"

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website