By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Splatoon 2 has voice chat... "using smart devices"

KLAMarine said:
m_csquare said:

Sure if you think it matters

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/features/playstation-app/

http://store.steampowered.com/mobile

I for once never see those things matter. When was the last time you see ppl complain abt the  lack of those features from these two apps?

Wow, had no idea these things existed.

Amazing right? Its available for the most ubiquitous device on earth and nobody gives a sht abt those apps

Around the Network
m_csquare said:
spemanig said:

Lmao, are you joking? Of course it matters. What, are you talking about Skype or something? Can you not see the objective advantage to being able to access these functions directly from your platform friends list everyone on the platform has instead of from a third party friend's list? 1st party apps are more convenient because they're more integrated. I don't have to add every Nintendo friend I make to Skype just so I can talk to them, making sure they all have skype in the first place. It also makes the network bigger and more reliable. Everyone with a Nintendo subscription should have the app, meaning the breadth of who can join a party expands. With a not everyone who has a Nintendo subscription will have Skype, meaning the web of interconnectivity is immediately smaller. On PS4, when I join a party, i have a possible web of everyone I'm friends with, everyone they're friends with, and so forth infinitely who can be added with ease. That can't happen with third party apps. It's clunky and not ideal for social interaction, which is the point.

Sure if you think it matters

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps4/features/playstation-app/

http://store.steampowered.com/mobile

I for once never see those things matter. When was the last time you see ppl complain abt the  lack of those features from these two apps?

Do those say anything about voice chat, which is exactly what I'm talking about?

And who cares if people haven't complained? Progress isn't just fixing obvious problems - it's fixing hidden ones. Most people don't even use those apps.

m_csquare said:
KLAMarine said:

Wow, had no idea these things existed.

Amazing right? Its available for the most ubiquitous device on earth and nobody gives a sht abt those apps

Either people don't care or they just don't know these apps exist.

Yeah, there have been a few threads about Nintendos total and complete ineptitude when it comes to voice chat on the Switch. Stunning that this got overlooked in 2017.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Thespiralmatrix said:
What kills me is that you will have to pay for your phone, pay for your data then pay Nintendo to use said services.

I really don't know how they green light such ideas. I'll just call my friends in a party call and skip the middle man.

I doubt this requires the use of your data plan. Any smart device can connect to wifi, right? Just use that.

Still looking to be a convoluted, dumb ass idea if this is REALLY how voice chat works, though.

Around the Network
nuckles87 said:
Thespiralmatrix said:
What kills me is that you will have to pay for your phone, pay for your data then pay Nintendo to use said services.

I really don't know how they green light such ideas. I'll just call my friends in a party call and skip the middle man.

I doubt this requires the use of your data plan. Any smart device can connect to wifi, right? Just use that.

Still looking to be a convoluted, dumb ass idea if this is REALLY how voice chat works, though.

Yeah, I mean...if you need to use data for voice chat, you aren't going to be able to play online anyways. No wifi.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

spemanig said:
COKTOE said:

The whole shebang should be a part of the system. It's a well established industry standard. Nintendo's trying to kick water uphill when we already have aquaducts.

Who's to say it isn't progress? Smartphones have taken websites and made them theirs. They've taken music and film and literature and made experiencing all of it more convenient. Who's to say Nintendo isn't doing the same with their app? Social media was a computer thing. Now it's a phone thing. Ordering take out, calling taxies, giving money to friends, and even online shopping: all of that is far superior through apps than they are in any other form. How do you know Nintendo hasn't done that for voice chat and other online functions?

I'm not necessarily saying that they have, but options halt progress, because no one cares about doing things better - they care about doing things comfortably. If the app is this obviously superior way to do online, what benefit is there to giving people the option to have an inferior experience? There is none. If the app is awesome, and everybody uses it, then everybody will talk it up, and more people will learn that Nintendo's online is awesome faster. If the app is awesome, and only some people use it, then that process is much slower and touches less people. And if it sucks, then the online would have sucked either way, and nothing is lost.

Flip phones were the industry standard until iphone made the touch screen an industry standard. Standards aren't hard rules, and standards don't make progress until people challenge them. Home consoles are the industry standard, but Nintendo is showing that there is potential desire for tabletop consoles with the Switch.

Someone else said it: voice chat has been pretty much exactly the same since the Dreamcast. Why doesn't that deserve to be challenged? Maybe this app will suck, but I'm not going to shame Nintendo for trying something new. The execution is what will matter, not the idea.

Ohhh man. I quoted the wrong guy. :) You have way more energy than me. That's about as good of an argument as can be made in favor of the direction the Switch's online is taking. The option to use an alternate method would be nice and all, if it had some type of perk(s). I don't see what they would be yet. I just want to be able to point my face at my handheld and make with the yakkity-yak without getting a smartphone involved. I'm pretty mental over the whole thing.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Mar1217 said:
KLAMarine said:

Either people don't care or they just don't know these apps exist.

Well ... some of my friends who plays on Steam a lot does have the application.

I'm sure there are people who have the apps. I just wonder how many people have them on their phones.

spemanig said:
COKTOE said:

The whole shebang should be a part of the system. It's a well established industry standard. Nintendo's trying to kick water uphill when we already have aquaducts.

Who's to say it isn't progress? Smartphones have taken websites and made them theirs. They've taken music and film and literature and made experiencing all of it more convenient. Who's to say Nintendo isn't doing the same with their app? Social media was a computer thing. Now it's a phone thing. Ordering take out, calling taxies, giving money to friends, and even online shopping: all of that is far superior through apps than they are in any other form. How do you know Nintendo hasn't done that for voice chat and other online functions?

I'm not necessarily saying that they have, but options halt progress, because no one cares about doing things better - they care about doing things comfortably. If the app is this obviously superior way to do online, what benefit is there to giving people the option to have an inferior experience? There is none. If the app is awesome, and everybody uses it, then everybody will talk it up, and more people will learn that Nintendo's online is awesome faster. If the app is awesome, and only some people use it, then that process is much slower and touches less people. And if it sucks, then the online would have sucked either way, and nothing is lost.

Flip phones were the industry standard until iphone made the touch screen an industry standard. Standards aren't hard rules, and standards don't make progress until people challenge them. Home consoles are the industry standard, but Nintendo is showing that there is potential desire for tabletop consoles with the Switch.

Someone else said it: voice chat has been pretty much exactly the same since the Dreamcast. Why doesn't that deserve to be challenged? Maybe this app will suck, but I'm not going to shame Nintendo for trying something new. The execution is what will matter, not the idea.

In what possible way could a smartphone app improve voice chat that couldn't be implemented in an app on the Switch itself?

You made this big long post about how Nintendo is trying to change the way we use voice chat, and how giving people options halts progress, but you never said what that progress was.

There are several clear downsides to using an app for voice chat instead of having it built into the system, and to defend it you've had to use really broad statements about technological progress. That alone should tell you this is a dumb idea.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

Normchacho said:
spemanig said:

In what possible way could a smartphone app improve voice chat that couldn't be implemented in an app on the Switch itself?

You made this big long post about how Nintendo is trying to change the way we use voice chat, and how giving people options halts progress, but you never said what that progress was.

There are several clear downsides to using an app for voice chat instead of having it built into the system, and to defend it you've had to use really broad statements about technological progress. That alone should tell you this is a dumb idea.

If I knew the answer to that, I wouldn't be talking to you, I'd be selling the idea. It's not my job to know how to make a product work, but I can be open minded, and there's reason to be, as made obvious in that post.

What are those clear downsides, by the way? Enlighten me.