By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My first day with PSVR.

PSVR

Amazing! 111 83.46%

Terrible. 22 16.54%

Total:133

New VR convert here.

Need apps to play on my PSVR. Already contemplating Rush of Blood after RE7 (do I need PS Move for that?)

Anything else? I'm a bit of a graphics snob so I would prefer games with a AAA feel or at least have passably realistic graphics.

Also, any titles to look forward to for the year? :D

Around the Network
DrDoomz said:

New VR convert here.

Need apps to play on my PSVR. Already contemplating Rush of Blood after RE7 (do I need PS Move for that?)

Anything else? I'm a bit of a graphics snob so I would prefer games with a AAA feel or at least have passably realistic graphics.

RE7 is really the class of the lineup atm.

Rush of Blood is great -- far better with two move sticks.

Batman is good experience but too short.  

PS Worlds isn't worth 40$ but is a good experience. 

Holoball is fun (Need 1 move stick)

Windlands is fun (Basic graphics but a lot of fun)

Rigs is pretty cool too.

Heard good things visually from Robinson the Journey.

Soonerman said:
Resident Evil 7 in VR is a scary but compromised experience http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/24/14369624/resident-evil-7-ps4-playstation-vr

He makes a lot of good points, draws entirely the wrong conclusion. (And you can turn off the blurring effect while sprinting)
It doesn't get more real than standing inside the house and the sense of dread is much higher in VR. It seems he doesn't have his VR legs yet or is at greater risk of motion sickness.

DrDoomz said:

New VR convert here.

Try Eve Valkyrie. It gives an amazing VR experience, but it also has a rather repititive gameplay

DrDoomz said:

New VR convert here.

If you have a pro then Robinson is quite pretty. Think first person point and click adventure rather than action game though.

Realistic graphics snob, not really the best for VR in its early stage ;) Eve: Valkyrie might fit the bill.

Bound, Thumper and Rez Infinite look really good, but not realistic.

Windlands is an amazing platformer, also not realistic and worst offender for motion sickness.

Rotr and SW Battlefront have some good looking, but rather short content. COD Jackal assault demo looks great, lasts only 5 minutes.

I guess Pinball FX2 looks realistic and quite good, if you like pinball.

DriveClub VR looks realistic and quite bad apart from the very detailed car interiors. Tons of fun though.

Around the Network

For new VR owners make sure u try Rez. It's the best

Soonerman said:
Resident Evil 7 in VR is a scary but compromised experience http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/24/14369624/resident-evil-7-ps4-playstation-vr

As Svennoj said, he makes a few valid points. But he's wrong.

-When you're peaking around a corner or through a window

naturally, just by moving your head.

-When you hear something just to your right and you glance on that direction

-When aiming in game is as easy as aiming in real life

-When you can stand on your toes or get on your knees to see over/under something (though I played 99% sitting on a sofa...)

And that's not too mention the inherent sense of depth and being there that comes along with playing in VR. Using just a standard controller and TV would probably make the game harder.

I always wonder about these professional game reviewers/sites that can't even afford all of the systems or hardware. I mean, I'm just some average guy and I have a PS4 Pro but they don't? 

*Edit*

Yeah, I just tried it without VR. It's like watching a movie on TV instead of seeing it in a theater--except much more drastic. Right analog is no match for the instantaneous response of just moving your head. Looks sharper but that's about it. Imagine looking up at a 7 foot monster in person or watching a 7 foot monster on TV. It's like that.

d21lewis said:
Soonerman said:

As Svennoj said, he makes a few valid points. But he's wrong.

-When you're peaking around a corner or through a window

naturally, just by moving your head.

-When you hear something just to your right and you glance on that direction

-When aiming in game is as easy as aiming in real life

-When you can stand on your toes or get on your knees to see over/under something (though I played 99% sitting on a sofa...)

And that's not too mention the inherent sense of depth and being there that comes along with playing in VR. Using just a standard controller and TV would probably make the game harder.

I always wonder about these professional game reviewers/sites that can't even afford all of the systems or hardware. I mean, I'm just some average guy and I have a PS4 Pro but they don't? 

Last night I actually managed to check the hallway ahead by peeking through the tiny crack between the closed door and the wall in VR, moving in close and slightly side to side to scan back and forth. It's a shame the keyholes are fake cause that was my initial thought to peek through. There are lots of instance where you can lean in to get a better look, even places you can stick your head through a window to check if something is outside waiting in front of a door. Especially on MadHouse difficulty, I'm taking every little advantage VR offers.

It seems the reviewer is blaming his discomfort on all the minor issues, plus he played the game without VR first and is comparing it to that, and probably trying to play it like that as well. Anyway most of the stuff he complains about is easily fixed. Turn off the blurring, reset viewpoint while leaning slightly back to make sure the floating arms always stay a little behind, turn subtitles off, don't open the UI with you head in the scenery duh. The other stuff he blames for his nausea is there to make you feel less discomfort, but you can turn on smooth transitions to crouching instead of the instant perpective shift.

But he's right about the cutting to 2D cutscenes and that it diminishes the impact of the cutscenes, because they're not in VR duh. And the shifts in viewpoint when you get into a prerecorded animations when climbing a ladder for example can be intrusive, especially when played standing and you're currently not facing towards the ps camera. In those animations the game you will assume you are, so you're suddenly facing the wrong way.

But this VR may make the jump scares even scarier, but it loses the more slow-burning sense of dread that comes slowly stalking through the house and spotting all of the gruesome little details. Erm, no, just no.

Psychonauts VR Chapter in 3 weeks! I love Psychonauts!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/30/psychonauts-in-the-rhombus-of-ruin-coming-to-ps-vr-on-february-21/

Hynad said:

A lot of people dismiss VR without having experienced it.

I had my first VR experience yesterday when a friend of mine came over with his PSVR set and had me and my son try it. I knew I was going to like it, based on feedback from my brother who tried the Vive at one of his friend's, but I didn't expect it to leave such an impact.

It simply blew my mind. And watching my son's reaction truly was priceless (especially when he tried The Deep, with that shark. We didn't show him the more mature stuff like RE7 or Batman.). In fact my friend told me that looking at someone's first VR experience never gets old. You really don't know what it is like until you try it for yourself. It really is a game changer, and the biggest step in gaming since the passage from 2D to 3D. In fact, I think it's a much bigger jump than 2D to 3D.

I didn't get to pre-order the Switch on time, so I have to wait until new supply gets allocated here. So after what I experienced yesterday, I am strongly considering getting the PSVR before the Switch.

It's expensive and we have only a few games (reasons why I fear it won't be a success), but it is indeed amazing. I played London Heist and it's really amazing.