By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Which of these Nintendo franchises would work best with an M-rated installment?

Metroid 94 75.81%

Zelda 7 5.65%

Xenoblade 23 18.55%

Total:124

Just kidding...though I wouldn't mind spinoff like this

or this

Around the Network

XCX sequel and next mainline SMT game are good candidates for M-rated installment.

Honestly I wouldn't mind next Paper Mario to be M-rated. Many games in the series already on the borderline, they can easily push it even further.

Or just create a new IP that's M rated. Like a story driven adventure or something

I mean, I guess Metroid. An M rating seems pretty pointless in those other games, but at least in Metroid it could be utilized to help set a mood. Not like you don't already kill a lot of sentient, space faring creatures and come across a lot of corpses in those games.

Maybe Fire Emblem, if the next game has mandatory incest.

In seriousness though, I'm not sure any Nintendo IPs would necessarily benefit from an increased rating. I did a quick Google search on the Uncharted series, which I found to feature mature content without feeling like it was trying too hard, and apparently all four games were rated T. If Nintendo were to push any of their IPs past that level, I feel like it would be trying too hard to appeal to an audience that just wants sex and violence for the sake of having sex and violence. Honestly, that was a big reason I didn't bother with the Bayonetta games...just looked overall unappealing to me.

I could be wrong though...so I'd be curious if Nintendo could pull it off somehow. I just hope they would have a solid reason for doing it...rather than just novelty.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Boberkun said:
XCX sequel and next mainline SMT game are good candidates for M-rated installment.

XCX, while T-rated, already flirts on the border of an M-rating at several points; it includes such things as a wounded soldier being shot in the head execution style, a character asking if their robotic body can get pregnant because they've started "seeing" someone, etc.

Honestly, XCX itself already did a pretty good job of bringing a more adult-oriented experience to Wii U, in conjunction with the likes of ZombiU, Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame, etc.

Switch though doesn't seem to have any such games so far.

I don't see much point in changing many of the ips unless they were selling bad. It would be like taking other companies star franchises and needlessly changing it like Halo or God of War to T, or Uncharted to M. Halo 5 is actually T instead of M and I am not sure how much of an effect it had, but I always thought M was necessary for the older games.

New ips are usually the better choice.

Farsala said:
I don't see much point in changing many of the ips unless they were selling bad. It would be like taking other companies star franchises and needlessly changing it like Halo or God of War to T, or Uncharted to M. Halo 5 is actually T instead of M and I am not sure how much of an effect it had, but I always thought M was necessary for the older games.

New ips are usually the better choice.

Halo 5 was actually rated T.

That 6 people actually voted for Zelda upsets me.

"Metroid" could work, but they can achieve all the same things at a Teen rating. I'm honestly surprised that BotW got an E10, though I was also surprised when Sm4sh did the same thing last gen (are we really going into 9th gen? that's another thread altogether).

With the cursing an innuendo in Xenoblade X, it would have been M had there been blood in the combat. Honestly, though, I just want Nintendo to publish another Bayonetta and commission a sequel to "Eternal Darkness".

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7