By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Gen starts on March 3

???

YES, Switch is a 9th Gen Console 220 40.59%

NO, Switch is a small upg... 322 59.41%

Total:542
dharh said:
Until someone comes up with something better, since I think we are witnessing the end of traditional generations, I will consider Scorpio and PS4Pro as gen 8.5 and the Switch gen 9 (due to technicality). However, I think this is mostly moot. Switch will be competing with gen 8 and gen 8.5, and of course all the phones and tablets out there as well.

I don't think we will see a new console from SONY or MS for a couple years or even longer, by then we might see a successor to Switch. So would we consider SONY/MS starting their 9th gen and Nintendo starting their 10th gen near the same time? That doesn't seem right.

It's funny that a 9th gen console isn't capable of playing MP of 8th gen console and there won't be a 9th gen MP until PS5 launches and certainly Switch won't play them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Yes it is in my oppinion.

Now, of course how to define a generation is mainly based on personnal oppinion even if people want to argue for hours (or page) that they "know" the right definition.

And in my oppinion, as well as several others, a generation is more a console cycle; pretty tied to their release date when they are close by a year or 2 and the new software library or concepts.

Based on that, I see the Nintendo Switch as a new generation (and a very awesome one knowing everything we know about the Switch:)).

In truth, it doesn't really matter. Nintendo are on a completely different playing field to everyone else, so what's the use of trying to create a correlation between where you stand to another when you're trying so hard to stand apart?

I'm sure many would have no problem with calling Switch a 9th gen console had it released in 2018, but since Nintendo were forced to jump ship early, we have this situation now. :D

DonFerrari said:
dharh said:
Until someone comes up with something better, since I think we are witnessing the end of traditional generations, I will consider Scorpio and PS4Pro as gen 8.5 and the Switch gen 9 (due to technicality). However, I think this is mostly moot. Switch will be competing with gen 8 and gen 8.5, and of course all the phones and tablets out there as well.

I don't think we will see a new console from SONY or MS for a couple years or even longer, by then we might see a successor to Switch. So would we consider SONY/MS starting their 9th gen and Nintendo starting their 10th gen near the same time? That doesn't seem right.

It's funny that a 9th gen console isn't capable of playing MP of 8th gen console and there won't be a 9th gen MP until PS5 launches and certainly Switch won't play them.

Just because third party studios aren't putting their games on the Switch doesn't mean the Switch is incapable of getting ports of said games.

There's many games the PS4 or PS5 (if there will even be a new PS console in the future) won't be able to play either, so what's your point? Can you play 1-2 Switch or Arms on the PS4? Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Breath of the Wild? Super Mario Odyssey? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Splatoon 2? Fire Emblem? Pokémon? Shin Megami Tensei? Project Octopath Traveler? Fast RMX?

Can your PS4 play games everywhere you want without the need of a TV? No? Hmm, that's so last-gen!

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
DonFerrari said:

Just because third party studios aren't putting their games on the Switch doesn't mean the Switch is incapable of getting ports of said games.

There's many games the PS4 or PS5 (if there will even be a new PS console in the future) won't be able to play either, so what's your point? Can you play 1-2 Switch or Arms on the PS4? Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Breath of the Wild? Super Mario Odyssey? Mario Kart 8 Deluxe? Splatoon 2? Fire Emblem? Pokémon? Shin Megami Tensei? Project Octopath Traveler? Fast RMX?

Can your PS4 play games everywhere you want without the need of a TV? No? Hmm, that's so last-gen!

You sure are onto something keep going. I'm not saying the games won't be there, what I'm saying is that they can't (unless we go for hyperboles that anything can be ported)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Alkibiádēs said:

You sure are onto something keep going. I'm not saying the games won't be there, what I'm saying is that they can't (unless we go for hyperboles that anything can be ported)

I've yet to see an 8th gen game that does something that wasn't possible on last-gen hardware, besides fancier graphics/animations and all. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
DonFerrari said:

I've yet to see an 8th gen game that does something that wasn't possible on last-gen hardware, besides fancier graphics/animations and all. 

Depending on your level of pushing narratives almost nothing done in today games is impossible on PS1 level HW, it would just suck. But go there and port a 8th gen AAA Multiplatform for Switch (I already sniff the switch reveal trailer of the game that is not confirmed being used as evidence)

mZuzek said:
DonFerrari said:

And how exactly is that related to being from one or another generation of consoles?

New Generations are brought because the older one wasn't capable of going forward SW wise, being it needs more power to advance. So if you label a console as 9th gen but it isn't capable of playing 8th gen level game then it's quite strange.

Alkibiádēs said:

In combination with a Vita and a good internet connection... yes. 

ktay95 said:
Sure, why not. Its not like gens mean anything anyway.

Of course they do! You must be able to easily proclaim something as the "winner of a generation" because nothing else matters.