Forums - Gaming Discussion - 9th Gen starts on March 3

???

YES, Switch is a 9th Gen Console 220 40.59%

NO, Switch is a small upg... 322 59.41%

Total:542
xl-klaudkil said:
Nope. Ps4 still beats it.
Its 6th gen upgrade

Xbox one beats it. The original  xbone...

Around the Network

My personal take though is this is a successor that will support Nintendo games for the next 4+ years. It's next gen.

xl-klaudkil said:
Nope. Ps4 still beats it.
Its 6th gen upgrade

Gens arent the same as power. The Wii U and 3DS are 8th consoles and the Switch is their successor so 9th gen starts March 3rd.

Generations are hardware based, not power based. It's 9th and will be recorded historically as such. Period.

I don't even know anymore. With the Switch being the first console of it's kind and likely without competition from the handheld space hard to tell anymore.

Around the Network

It's Nintendo's first generation of hybrid consoles. Or their 8th generation of home consoles and their 5th generation of handheld consoles.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

DonFerrari said:
nope, a gen start when sony says so

That's interesting because Saturn was the first 5th generation console on the market, Dreamcast was the first 6th generation out of the gates and Xbox 360 was the first 7th generation console when it launched.

I don't think it's still relevant to talk about generations (if it were, we wouldn't have this discussion), but if you want to put it in a gen, it's rather gen 9 than gen 8 since it's a successor to the 3DS and the Wii U.

Until someone comes up with something better, since I think we are witnessing the end of traditional generations, I will consider Scorpio and PS4Pro as gen 8.5 and the Switch gen 9 (due to technicality). However, I think this is mostly moot. Switch will be competing with gen 8 and gen 8.5, and of course all the phones and tablets out there as well.

I don't think we will see a new console from SONY or MS for a couple years or even longer, by then we might see a successor to Switch. So would we consider SONY/MS starting their 9th gen and Nintendo starting their 10th gen near the same time? That doesn't seem right.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

pray4mojo said:
DonFerrari said:
nope, a gen start when sony says so

That's interesting because Saturn was the first 5th generation console on the market, Dreamcast was the first 6th generation out of the gates and Xbox 360 was the first 7th generation console when it launched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85cEkzRcjUQ#t=2m26s

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."