By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Strong parallels between Switch and Wii: Next runaway hit for Nintendo?

How do you see NS performing sales wise?

Wii level: 100M+ 42 9.27%

Moderate success: 80M+ 42 9.27%

3DS level: 50M+ 112 24.72%

It will sell more than N64: 30M+ 145 32.01%

Will barely outsell Wii U: 15M+ 86 18.98%

Won't outsell Vita and i... 26 5.74%

Total:453
JRPGfan said:

I have serious doubts it ll be as big as the Wii was.

I think theres two kinds of views of it:

1) its a cool handheld (powerfull handheld) that can also play on your tv (expensive handheld).
2) its a homeconsole (really weak) and its overpriced for its hardware (competitors x3 power & cheaper)

The 2nd view point seems to be pretty popular on youtube.

I dont think they ll do 100m with the switch.

It all about how you market it and I believe mainstream media and the general public are seeing its potential as a new way to get both experiencies in one single device. Wii was a glorified GC with a silly controller if we look back.

Around the Network

I hope it does really well. At the very least between 50-80m units lifetime and a very long lifetime, not just three and a half years).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I think some of the parallels you listed are a bit superficial, and, as Zorg wrote, you can also find similarities with WiiU.

It's still too early to tell.

onionberry said:
It's going to take time, but I see future for this device/brand. Forget about all the bad media from neogaf and eurogamer, they're reacting to the launch year of the system, which btw is miles better than the wii u AND wii in terms of hardware/games. But, it's going to take time and games. Maybe not a wii situation tho.

Better launch than the Wii U maybe, but the Wii? No way.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

gatito said:

Let's take a look at the facts.

• Redemption console after an underwhelming one (GameCube, Wii U)
  • People are very curious about it and is stirring up interest in mainstream media (Just go on YT and look for reviews and reactions)
  • Innovative hardware (Wiimote, Hybrid device)
  • About the same price (adjusted for inflation)
  • Newest and highly anticipated Zelda at launch

Switch also has a lot more going on like a promising lineup for its first couple months, is developer friendly and is also almost guaranteed to have all of their heavy hitters including the handheld exclusives like mainline Pokemon and Animal Crossing. I think we're looking at the beggining of a new golden era for Nintendo.

Going to use this topic shortly as part of a new thread hope you don't mind.

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
onionberry said:
It's going to take time, but I see future for this device/brand. Forget about all the bad media from neogaf and eurogamer, they're reacting to the launch year of the system, which btw is miles better than the wii u AND wii in terms of hardware/games. But, it's going to take time and games. Maybe not a wii situation tho.

I'm talking about the launch year/window. 

1 2 Switch is no Wii Sports, though.

onionberry said:
Normchacho said:

Yeah that's really debatable if we're talking about the first 12 months. Definitely better than U, but better than Wii? Waaaay too early to make that call I think. 

Renna Hazel said:
onionberry said:

Yeah that's really debatable if we're talking about the first 12 months. Definitely better than U, but better than Wii? Waaaay too early to make that call I think. 

If  not better pretty similar, wii had Wii sport, Zelda, Metroid Prime 3 and Mario galaxy the first year. Switch will have zelda (the most hyped zelda ever) splatoon 2, mario kart 8 deluxe (will be new for a lot of people) Fire emblem warriors, xenoblade chronicles 2 and super mario odyssey.  So the system sellers are there.

Now, this is a fantasy and this doesn't count, but imagine that pokemon star game in November.

The Wii had millions of people who either did not play games or had not played games in years coming into the fold. For the Switch to come close "1 2 Switch" has to connect the way Wii Sports did, and that is asking a lot especially given it is not included with the system.