By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Nintendo release a handheld only pack for 199$

Yeah. I'd actually feel more.positive about that.

I wonder if retailerss can do that. Like for example someone trades their Switch but doesnt return the dock. Can they just sell the Switch without the dock?

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
If people want it, then sure.

Market-wise, makes all sense. Get much more impulse buyers, and profit the same, cos theyd latter buy the acessories.
But the name of the console is switch because it is intended to switch between the screens. so, makes no sense concept-wise.
I bet in releasing a new version. switch mini or something like that. Doesnt come with the dock station, but with a smaller screen, and fit a pocket. And still get the switch concept, but kinda different. You can switch between the actual switch in horizontal screen and in vertical screen. In vertical mode, it would act as a 2DS, and support 3DS BC titles. 3DS titles would still be avaliable for 1 or 2 years, and that would also help the transition between 3DS and switch, and marketing with both switch and 3DS games.
2 distinct products based on switch concept, that run also the same switch library. One of them is first and foremost a home console, and other is first and foremost a handheld. But both serve as the other conterpart.

More choices are always good. So, if people demand this, why not? I'm still not sure about Nintendo's decision to promote it as a home console...

I wont buy the switch but a smaller (4,5 inch maybe?) handheld version with no controllers that are removable would be an instant buy for me

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network

I remember when I was saying this (way before launch).
They should make a handheld only version, without the dock and the joycon-middle part, that transforms them to a controller.

That should allow them to sell it atleast 50$ cheaper.

If I was nintendo I would do this:
199$ switch (without dock, joy-con middle part)
249$ switch (with dock, middle part).

Id announce a PR statement saying online is free, due to negative reaction from public.
And they plan to keep it that way.

I would lower the prices slightly on the accessories.

I feel like nintendo would sell sooooooo much more if they did that.

JRPGfan said:

They should make a handheld only version, without the dock and the joycon-middle part, that transforms them to a controller.

Id announce a PR statement saying online is free, due to negative reaction from public.

You need the JoyCon middle part in order to charge up the JoyCons though.

numberwang said:

So 299$ seems a bit too much for some, but looking at the internal prices of the packages, the handheld alone with 2 joycons should be possible for 199$.

Of course you have to milk early adopters first, so 299$ for the well-off Nintendo fans first.

Switch starter set 199$ at Christmas 2017 instead of a price cut for the larger package?

I think that's a decent idea, it really wont take much away from the system, and later if they want to dock it that can buy the dock for TV play

malistix1985 said:
I wont buy the switch but a smaller (4,5 inch maybe?) handheld version with no controllers that are removable would be an instant buy for me

Kinda like how there is a 2DS version to the 3DS.

Make a handheld only part.... I guess.

I just think its not even needed, just remove the dock + joy-con middle part, sell a switch without those, and 50$ cheaper.

KLXVER said:
JRPGfan said:

You need the JoyCon middle part in order to charge up the JoyCons though.

Are you sure about that?

cant it be charged if they are just connected to the switch, and the usb-c is plugged in and the system is chargeing up?

If true, nintendo f***ed up the hardware design.

It would be so much smarter if everything just automatically charged up at the same time, from just 1 cable.