By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Need some PC expert help... Gtx 1080???

ps3-sales! said:
JEMC said:

Those results are odd. The 480 should be able to do +50fps in The Witcher 3 at Max detail, and that game is a lot more demanding than those you've listed.

What drivers are you using?

I have the updated amd crimson drivers. it shows 16.12.2

Ok. When did you update? AMD launched a new 16.12.2 drivers on Jan 9, with some fixes.

Also, did the games run fine before the update? Sometimes, and I know this from personal experience, the drivers installation doesn't work as it should, and then you're better completely unninstalling them (with a tool like DDU) and reinstall them again.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
The most important question is, what monitor do you have, which resolutions are you trying to achieve?

As others pointed out, if you buy a gtx 1080, that CPU will bottleneck you like crazy. I would suggest the following, unless you're really hurting for a new machine, give it a few months and see what AMD comes up with both on the CPU and GPUs (Ryzen and Vega).

The rumors are pretty strong that the IPC improvements will make them the better choice against the latest from Nvidia and Intel. Especially on a price/performance analysis.

Also, there's no such thing as future proofing a PC. You should always buy the most balanced machine you can afford for the display that you want to use.

I have a 144hz AOC monitor. 1080p. 

Yeah... I am just impatient lol. I shouldn't have gotten this pre built pc. should have built my own xD. 

I just want to play games at 60fps at 1080p at close to max settings. Is that too much to ask for?? heh.

Another question... if i wanted to keep my rx 480 could i just outright upgrade my cpu? would that help? another guy suggested throwing in an ssd which most people highly suggest.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Conina said:
ps3-sales! said:
Ok so to answer some of you guys....

Honestly I've been extremely disappointed with my RX480. I don't know why everybody supports it so much.

I can't even run Black Flag at max settings with 60fps. It drops to 10-15 with almost near max settings then crashes. And that's an almost 4 year old game.

My processor can't beat that much of a bottleneck. But I don't know what else is wrong with my pc if it's not the weak gpu. Those who say the RX480 is meant to play to 1080p games clearly don't experience what I'm seeing lol.

Other games I've tested:

Skyrim - around 50 fps on max. 6 year old game
Witcher 2 - lower than 30, med-high settings. This one stings. Not even going to attempt Witcher 3

Are you sure they didn't sell you this "RX" 480 graphic card? ;)

xDDD

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

JEMC said:
ps3-sales! said:

I have the updated amd crimson drivers. it shows 16.12.2

Ok. When did you update? AMD launched a new 16.12.2 drivers on Jan 9, with some fixes.

Also, did the games run fine before the update? Sometimes, and I know this from personal experience, the drivers installation doesn't work as it should, and then you're better completely unninstalling them (with a tool like DDU) and reinstall them again.

so there are different 16.12.2 updates?

I believe my gpu crashed yesterday actually because I (please don't judge me i'm an idiot) tried to tinker around with the AMD wattman to slightly overclock stuff for a fix... Damn you youtube guy. we had all the same pc specs so i figured it'd be cool. 

anyway. so i uninstalled all my amd drivers and just reinstalled early this morning. so now it showed 16.12.2 and all my games stopped crashing. but no even before that since i bought this pc (august 2016) games have not run 1080p even close to 60fps. it's been disappointing. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

ps3-sales! said:
JEMC said:

I believe my gpu crashed yesterday actually because I (please don't judge me i'm an idiot) tried to tinker around with the AMD wattman to slightly overclock stuff for a fix... Damn you youtube guy. we had all the same pc specs so i figured it'd be cool. 

anyway. so i uninstalled all my amd drivers and just reinstalled early this morning. so now it showed 16.12.2 and all my games stopped crashing. but no even before that since i bought this pc (august 2016) games have not run 1080p even close to 60fps. it's been disappointing. 

No one is going to judge you for trying to improve your gaming experience, althought there are some professional reviews have a section detailing how they have overclocked the card, which can be used as another source of info.

Now, I have another question: does that pre build have enough ventilation? How many fans does it have? It's possible that the build has a reference/blower style card and, if the case doesn't have enough ventilation, it can get too hot and throttle, limiting its performance.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

First question is first.
What type of Radeon 480 do you have? There is a fairly large performance delta between the vanilla 4Gb RX 480 and and say... An 8Gb RX 480 Overclocked edition from like every manufacturer.

As for your games...

1) Black Flag is a Ubisoft game. Enough said. - Disable V-Sync or download Radeon Pro and use adaptive V-Sync, turn off HBAO+/SSAO and TXAA.
The RX 480 should be more than capable of hitting and maintaining 60fps in this title. So something is up with your rig, try fixing the problem instead of throwing money away on a new GPU which might not fix the issue.

Skyrim and the Witcher are CPU heavy. Skyrim was never a well optimized game anyway and uses an abundance of scripting. - Are you running the Special Edition which uses the Fallout 4 engine?
There are mods which can increase the amount of DRAM Skyrim can use (If you aren't using the special edition), optimize the scripting etc'.

Witcher 2 is older. Disable Ubersampling, edit the configuration file to set the FPS limit at 60 and increase the render ahead count to 2.

With that said, Polaris, Aka. The Radeon RX 480 was never supposed to be a high-end card, people had unrealistic expectations. (Mostly because of the flops.)

It was priced and targeted as a mid-range card, so your expectations need to be aligned to match.

As for upgrading to a Geforce 1080, utterly pointless.
Your motherboard is low-end, your CPU is average... So one must assume you are only gaming at 1080P and lower anyway, so a Geforce 1080 is a waste.
You would be better served with the Geforce 1070 or upgrading the rest of your rig.

Or better yet. Upgrade none of it and get an SSD. - Using a 5400rpm must suck hardcore, how do you handle having to wait for everything to load?

i have the vanilla 4 gb version lol. 

i edited OP. i have the 7200rpm sorry heh. still bad though. a lot of people have been recommeded an ssd for windows/games. but honestly my load times aren't really terrible. 

i've asked a coupple others but is it possible for me to just upgrade my cpu on my current build? the only things are would my psu and motherboard support it...

Currently own:

• Ps4

Wait for Vega. You waited this long for a 1080, wait a couple more months for Vega so you can get a 1080 or a Vega GPU for cheaper

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

JEMC said:
ps3-sales! said:

No one is going to judge you for trying to improve your gaming experience, althought there are some professional reviews have a section detailing how they have overclocked the card, which can be used as another source of info.

Now, I have another question: does that pre build have enough ventilation? How many fans does it have? It's possible that the build has a reference/blower style card and, if the case doesn't have enough ventilation, it can get too hot and throttle, limiting its performance.

this is the exact pc that i bought for $650 on sale last year. for the price/performance ratio it didn't seem terrible at the time. 

Not sure if it has enough fans. but i have been checking temps; yet don't know that sweet spot it should be at for gaming. also the air mostly always is cool when i feel all around the pc.

Sorry forgot to post the link lmao

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HNBLHAA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484676687&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=cyberpowerpc&dpPl=1&dpID=511WRjswCuL&ref=plSrch

Currently own:

• Ps4

ps3-sales! said:
JEMC said:

this is the exact pc that i bought for $650 on sale last year. for the price/performance ratio it didn't seem terrible at the time. 

Not sure if it has enough fans. but i have been checking temps; yet don't know that sweet spot it should be at for gaming. also the air mostly always is cool when i feel all around the pc.

The problem with not enough ventilation is that hot air will remain trapped inside the PC case. You should check to see if there's at least two, one intake and one exhaust.

Something is wrong if you only get 30fps with Witcher 3.

Maybe a power setting in windows is set to laptop/power saving? Set it to power on demand.

Get cpuz and gpuz and look if everything powers to maximum frequency when gaming.