By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Hands-On with Nintendo Switch

Nem said:
I think it fails at beeing both. Not powerful enough for a home console, not portable enough to be a portable. It's disaster in the making.

While I feel you may be right , the fact that most hand helds are played at home helps negate some of that lack of portability.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
UnderstatedCornHole said:
Rab said:

Like I said it's DF

They have a narrow view

They view in absolutes and intellectual analysis.

If you call that narrow then you have been brainwashed.

It appears you also have the same narrow view

Black and white (absolute) thinking generally starts with the young and is reduced as peope age with aquired wisdom

Normchacho said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Then I question whether he's really a gamer or interested in Nintendo games at all. The Mario Kart team, for example, no longer needs to make two different Mario Kart games and can use part of these resources for something else now. Arms is being made by the producer of Mario Kart for example... 

Alkibiádēs said:

Because now they can use part of their resources for something other than Mario Kart, so everyone interested in Nintendo games should care. If he doesn't care for Nintendo games then don't buy the Switch and complain somewhere else. That simple. 

Your assumptions don't line up with what Nintendo's been saying.

"This time, however, Fils-Aime told Wired that "3DS has a long life in front of it," and that Nintendo sees the Switch as "at its heart, it’s a home console that you can take with you on the go." That suggests the 3DS will continue to be the place Nintendo funnels games designed to be played portably, while the Switch gets games more tailored to the TV experience."

So no, I wouldn't expect a tangible increase in software for the Switch just because it's portable.

I take issue with the Switch because I do care about Nintendo games. I want access to these games but realistically I'd just leave it in its dock and buy a pro controller to use. With that in mind I just haven't seen the value in the system to justify the considerable cost.

Yeah, sure, the 3DS has a long life ahead of it lol. How gullible are you exactly? They said the same about the DS and look how that turned out.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
Normchacho said:

Your assumptions don't line up with what Nintendo's been saying.

"This time, however, Fils-Aime told Wired that "3DS has a long life in front of it," and that Nintendo sees the Switch as "at its heart, it’s a home console that you can take with you on the go." That suggests the 3DS will continue to be the place Nintendo funnels games designed to be played portably, while the Switch gets games more tailored to the TV experience."

So no, I wouldn't expect a tangible increase in software for the Switch just because it's portable.

I take issue with the Switch because I do care about Nintendo games. I want access to these games but realistically I'd just leave it in its dock and buy a pro controller to use. With that in mind I just haven't seen the value in the system to justify the considerable cost.

Yeah, sure, the 3DS has a long life ahead of it lol. How gullible are you exactly? They said the same about the DS and look how that turned out.

1. The DS was a dedicated handheld while Nintendo is adamant that the Switch is a home console first and foremost. Now, I personally view the Switch as a handheld that plugs into a TV. Bit how Nintendo handles the system will be based on their perception of it, not mine. We don't even know that the 3DS won't get a successor.

2. You're still suggesting that some should buy a system based on little more than your series of assumptions. You also seem to be fond of the idea that anyone that doesn't prescribe to your assumptions is either biased or not a "real gamer".

Now, if have an actual point to make, by all means continue.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:
Alkibiádēs said:

1. The DS was a dedicated handheld while Nintendo is adamant that the Switch is a home console first and foremost. Now, I personally view the Switch as a handheld that plugs into a TV. Bit how Nintendo handles the system will be based on their perception of it, not mine. We don't even know that the 3DS won't get a successor.

2. You're still suggesting that some should buy a system based on little more than your series of assumptions. You also seem to be fond of the idea that anyone that doesn't prescribe to your assumptions is either biased or not a "real gamer".

To be fair, Nnty is probably lying. 

Around the Network
Normchacho said:
Alkibiádēs said:

They're just lying to keep 3DS sales as high as possible until the Switch releases... How on earth can you not see this. They literally said DS wouldn't replace the GBA, but it did lol.

Why on earth would they bother with a hybrid console to then make another system again? The problem last gen was that they couldn't support two systems at once. The Switch is an answer to that. 

I sincerely hope they don't continue to support 3DS; that would effectively kill the Switch, as it would have the same problem as Wii U, not enough games because studios are split between two platforms.

The thing is though, the kind of support we're seeing for Switch doesn't seem like what I'd expect from a platform with all of Nintendo's development power behind it. What they've revealed so far seems more like the Wii U; only a handful of major titles a year with filler like indies and old ports in between.

curl-6 said:
I sincerely hope they don't continue to support 3DS; that would effectively kill the Switch, as it would have the same problem as Wii U, not enough games because studios are split between two platforms.

The thing is though, the kind of support we're seeing for Switch doesn't seem like what I'd expect from a platform with all of Nintendo's development power behind it. What they've revealed so far seems more like the Wii U; only a handful of major titles a year with filler like indies and old ports in between.

They haven't announced all games yet, but what did the Wii U have for the first 9 months? Nintendoland, New Super Mario Bros. U (which was basically the Wii version in HD) and Pikmin 3. 

In 2017 the Switch will get The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 1-2 Switch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Super Mario Odyssey. That's already a vast improvement if you ask me. 

Rab said:
UnderstatedCornHole said:

They view in absolutes and intellectual analysis.

If you call that narrow then you have been brainwashed.

It appears you also have the same narrow view

Black and white (absolute) thinking generally starts with the young and is reduced as peope age with aquired wisdom

No, in this case we are talking the conveyence of opinion. It helps to give that in absolute terms. Obviously the actual experience of the DF team would be subjective but quantifying that in relative terms is what they have done.

It sounds like you are unhappy that they haven't discussed magical sparkley bits?

Alkibiádēs said:
curl-6 said:

They haven't announced all games yet, but what did the Wii U have for the first 9 months? Nintendoland, New Super Mario Bros. U (which was basically the Wii version in HD) and Pikmin 3. 

In 2017 the Switch will get The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 1-2 Switch, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Arms, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and Super Mario Odyssey. That's already a vast improvement if you ask me. 

In it's first year Wii U also got Wind Waker HD, New Super Luigi U, Sing Party, Wii Sports Club, Wii Party U, and Wii Fit U. That's 9 first party titles in its first year, Switch doesn't look like it will significantly surpass that unless they're holding back a ton of announcements.

I mean, if this is supposed to replace 3DS as well as the Wii U, then where's Monster Hunter, Pokemon, and other portable staples?