By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Voice acting option in Breath of the Wild

mZuzek said:
I personally doubt this will happen since it's Nintendo and they never have any kind of options in their games.

That said, the voice acting won't be too intrusive. I think not everyone realizes this, but the game is going for a mixed approach with VA - basically, the cutscenes will be fully acted and have voices and all, while all the dialogue during gameplay will be classic text boxes with just generic voice sounds.

If that's still not enough to satisfy you and you'd rather have boxes throughout the game, I can only tell you to be ready to have to bear with it.

Personally, I think that's the best possible approach for voice acting, as I do think voices are distracting and annoying during gameplay, but are necessary for epic cutscenes to truly shine. I mean, Skyward Sword's cutscenes were absolutely amazing, but I can't help but feel they would be ten times more mindblowing with some good VA going on.

Yeah, that sounds pretty good. Okay.

Around the Network

well its definitely not all voiced. the old man character doesn't seem to have a voice (clips of gameplay have shown him having a box of text). I think its very unlikely that Link will have a voice.

I honestly don't mind voices as long as Link remains silent. IMO the biggest thing is being able to be immersed in being Link, whether you're a chick or dude, or have a low or high voice, as soon as Link has a forced voice it may alienate some of us by breaking immersion

same sort of thing applies to Fallout, the new voiced protagonist turned off a lot of people.

But I'm cool with voices as long as Link is the one exception.

However I 100% agree with the OP that the best absolute option would be to give an on/off feature for voice. Doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to implement that

I only hope for Japanese VA option in BotW. English VA is simply terrible, Russian VA is even worse.
To me japanese already sounds like Hylian, I want to keep these voices in game.

They might give the option to adjust voice volumes, in which case you could just set it to 0.

Also, it looks like I'm the only one who much prefers the English VA to the Japanese?

Honestly I really hope I can keep Japanese VA.

I've watched the Japanese trailer at least 5 times, and the part where Zelda is crying still sends shivers down my spine.

English trailer didn't have that same effect. :/

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

double post

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Audio options would be nice.

Don't really care for the japanese dub since the game is getting latin american spanish dub, which is godlike.

I don't know why people liked that Zelda cry in Japanese, the squeakiness of that hurt my ears. And it almost went supersonic. The English one was better. Much more subtle.

OT: It's something to get used to for sure, the VA, but at a glance it sounds like they did a decent job. Link's still silent, which is good. That part's mandatory as far as I'm concerned. Options are good though, I don't know yet if I'd leave it on or if I'd prefer the classic text reading way.

I had hoped they'd invent spoken Hylian for this game. Would have been great.

Ugh.

Text is all fine. I love those old school games. But when you make a game as visually advanced as this new Zelda (and the past couple Zeldas), voice acting should be required.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros