By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why did Nintendo insist on getting the console out so fast?

I mean, let's say, launch mid summer. The presentation heavily focused on hardware, 2 weeks before E3, to make sure that people know more is coming. An excellent E3 shortly before launch, with Spla2n, MK8D, Zelda, Arms, and a substantial list of third parties for launch. I just don't see the purpose of getting in early with uncertain reception when so much more could be done just a few months later.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network

Because the launch would have been in a competition for peoples attention.

palou said:

I mean, let's say, launch mid summer. The presentation heavily focused on hardware, 2 weeks before E3, to make sure that people know more is coming. An excellent E3 shortly before launch, with Spla2n, MK8D, Zelda, Arms, and a substantial list of third parties for launch. I just don't see the purpose of getting in early with uncertain reception when so much more could be done just a few months later.

Summer would be the worst time to launch. It is when video game sales are at their lowest because people in the U.S and Europe are busy with vacations/spending time outside. Also it changes very little besides the perception of hardcore gamers. Eitherway you get to play Splatoon 2 and MK8D come summer, except your scenario we'd have to wait to play Zelda. How exactly is that better?

palou said:

1. will get content every month

2. wii u is dead

3. they need to release zelda

4. they need the console out this fiscal year.

Because shareholders want the promised Q4 profits...

Around the Network

why would you launch a console with 4 high profile, first party launch titles?

and do you really think any 3rd party launch title would sell well if Zelda, Mario Kart & Splatoon were there day 1?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

sc94597 said:
palou said:

Summer would be the worst time to launch. It is when video game sales are at their lowest because people in the U.S and Europe are busy with vacations/spending time outside. Also it changes very little besides the perception of hardcore gamers. Eitherway you get to play Splatoon 2 and MK8D come summer, except your scenario we'd have to wait to play Zelda. How exactly is that better?

I was under the impression that the lack of launch titles was frowned upon. Equally, Nintendo clearly has something prepared for this year's E3; that could have contributed to a better reception at launch, which I do believ to be essential. I'm personnaly convinced that the XB1 suffered alot from the weak start, even if the product later on was more convincing (no mandatory useless 100$ periphial)  

Bet with PeH: 

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

Because the Wii U is aside, from the Zelda.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

onionberry said:
palou said:

1. will get content every month

2. wii u is dead

3. they need to release zelda

4. they need the console out this fiscal year.

4. That makes sense.

Bet with PeH: 

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

palou said:
sc94597 said:

I was under the impression that the lack of launch titles was frowned upon. Equally, Nintendo clearly has something prepared for this year's E3; that could have contributed to a better reception at launch, which I do believ to be essential. I'm personnaly convinced that the XB1 suffered alot from the weak start, even if the product later on was more convincing (no mandatory useless 100$ periphial)  

Conversely, the 3DS had a bad start, and doesn't seem worse off, and the Wii U had a really good start and because of droughts it suffered badly. I think what is important is a sustained number of good titles throughout the lifetime of the platform. Nintendo needs to solve that, and they seem to be doing a good job with that regard so far.