By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN 2016 GOTY is..........

Do you agree?

Yes! 39 15.79%

Nope! 208 84.21%

Total:247

OVERWATCH!!!!! 

http://au.ign.com/wikis/best-of-2016-awards/Game_of_the_Year

- I stopped playing Overwatch quite early because I didnt really liked the game, but I can see why it is very popular and very enjoyable to a lot of people. The "Visuals" and the "colourness" was one of the things that amazed me. 

Other IGN Awards: 

- Best PC Game: Overwatch

- Best Xbox One Game: Inside

- Best PS4 Game: Dishonored 2 

- Best PSVita Game: Darkest Dungeon

- Best Wii U Game: Paper Mario: Color Splash  

- Best 3DS Game: Pokemon Sun and Moon 

- Best Mobile Game: Pokemon Go 

|UPDATE| 

- People's Choice for 2016 GOTY: Uncharted 4 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Pretty bad list, uncharted 4 for ps4 and forza horizon 3 for xbox fore sure..

If you make game of the year, I can understand it because it might be game of the year on PC and people really love it online, the vita, wiiu, 3ds and mobile game seem ok

So I partially agree, but these kinds of lists are very personal and I am sure all of the IGN staff voted, so its hard to argue with it.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Since Overwatch was GOTY they should had given best PC game to another game. Like Doom. Besides that, this is a great list that is devoid of console bias and dares to reject the obvious fan-hyped games in favor of those that, they actually think, truly deserve the awards.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

It's weird when they choose multiplatform games as best game of a specific platform. For example they chose Inside for Xbox and Dishonored for PS4. But those games are also available on the other platform. So which game is better and why not the other way around?

Which means we're back to our original problem. Awards that are given out without proper explanation are worthless.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

No Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE and No Odin Sphere HD and no King of Fighters XIV and finally no DQVII or SMTV:A. IGN list sucks donkey balls.

Around the Network

I am deeply concerned about the amount of goty awards Overwatch will receive. Full price multiplayer only title that still has the audacity to have cosmetic microtransactions. The gameplay isnt groundbreaking either, as i still find myself enjoying TF2 just as much. The future of gaming is looking bleak tbh.

That and im getting old and cynical :^)

Meh, I tried twice and just could not get into Overwatch. Battleborn seemed to do everything it did only much better and much more content. So it was my most played game of 2016.

Hell yes! Well Deserved! Go Go WaifuWatch

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Panama said:
I am deeply concerned about the amount of goty awards Overwatch will receive. Full price multiplayer only title that still has the audacity to have cosmetic microtransactions. The gameplay isnt groundbreaking either, as i still find myself enjoying TF2 just as much. The future of gaming is looking bleak tbh.

That and im getting old and cynical :^)

See, having micro-transactions might seem a bit urghh worthy but then if you think about what you are getting in return, I'd say its worth it. Because what everyone is getting in return for those micro-transactions is free DLC which includes heroes, maps and modes for the life of the game. And since it is a Blizzard game, given their long history of supporting games for a really long time with content, the free heroes, maps and modes should continue to come for a very long time. It is also $40 on PC but $60 on consoles.

The other thing is, the lootboxes probably seem pretty lame at first but no one is being forced to buy them in order to enjoy the game. The enjoyment doesn't come from skins, the enjoyment comes from the gameplay. And the lootboxes aren't that hard to obtain. Playing and winning arcade mode games gives you 3 lootboxes per week and leveling up gives you lootboxes too. Now the question is, which one would people rather have? Parts of the game such as maps and etc locked behind $15 dlc or Cosmetics that are locked behind easily attainable lootboxes? Cause supporting the game for a really long time doesn't come for free so yes, people would have to choose one or the other. In a magical world, we wouldn't need to but in reality, we do hence why every game either has one or the other or has both.

I personally like Overwatch's implementation because it doesn't segment off the player base into chunks that have the dlc and the ones that don't. I have been playing overwatch since the day I got it and I have not spent a single dime. I got all the skins and sprays and emotes that I care about and I have a shit ton of gold doing nothing.

So I for one say that if games of the future implement overwatch's system where we get free dlc such as maps and etc for the life of the game with micro-transaction for cosmetic items that is as easily attainable as they are in overwatch, then I am 110% on board. What I don't want is cosmectics locked behind real world money or currency that isn't easily attainable and dlc that segments off the players who don't want to spend extra money on the game. I will say that trying to get the skin you want in overwatch from the start can be annoying certainly since the lootboxes are random but I say the trade-off is still worth it.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Well, the WiiU goty should be for Tokio Mirage Sessions #FE, my favourite JRPG in ages, but Color Splash is a ridiculously underrated game that suffered the hate of its predecesor despite being remarkably better in almost everything and really fun this time, so a bit of praise somewhere is well received.