By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GOTY for each year of its life

Goodnightmoon said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

Besides Pokken and TMS, it's for the best that we don't remember the other 2016 Wii U games.

Well, even if you don't like a good game like Paper Mario there were still other few good indie games like Shantae, Severed, Steamworld Heist or Axiom Verge. Also Lego The Force Awakens was surprisingly fun, better than the average lego game. 

@Bolded: Hah, cute! ;p

Alright just exclusive retail games then.

Slarvax said:
I still stand by my opinion: 2015 > 2014

If I had to choose a single year as the best I think I'd go with 2015 also. Splatatatatatoon! But Woolly World was also amazing, and 2015 saw moar great DLC for Smash n Kart.

Around the Network

I think I've turned on my WiiU a total of 6 or 7 times. My Xbox One has been my go-to system this gen while my WiiU hasn't done anything memorable for me.

Seventizz said:

I think I've turned on my WiiU a total of 6 or 7 times. My Xbox One has been my go-to system this gen while my WiiU hasn't done anything memorable for me.

That could be due to you having only turned on your Wii U 6 or 7 times, but that's just my obviously biased theory!

mZuzek said:
Slarvax said:

That's a respectable opinion, even though it is wrong.

Yours happens to be respectable too, and also completely right.

Slarvax said:

Xenoblade X came out 2015 = you win

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
bigtakilla said:

Xenoblade X came out 2015 = you win

Tell that to DKC: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and Smash 4.

It's not a contest. (edit: I have a feeling these words will be used against me.)

You got Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Splatoon, Fast Racing Neo, and Mario Maker.

Prefer what you want, but to say its no contest is a bit far.

bigtakilla said:
mZuzek said:

Tell that to DKC: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 and Smash 4.

It's not a contest. (edit: I have a feeling these words will be used against me.)

You got Xenoblade X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Splatoon, Fast Racing Neo, and Mario Maker.

Nah TMS was relased on 2016. Add to 2014 Captain Toad and Hyrule Warriors and is clear 2014>2015, Splatoon is da best of them all though :P

Goodnightmoon said:
bigtakilla said:

Nah TMS was relased on 2016. Add to 2014 Captain Toad and Hyrule Warriors and is clear 2014>2015, Splatoon is da best of them all though :P

Well, true, outside of Japan TMS did release 2016. Either way, for big releases 2015 was better.

Honestly kind of a rough call, considering how few games there actually were. But here goes:

2012: NSMBU - Great game, even though I liked NSMBWii better.

2013: Super Mario 3D World - Fun game, nice to have the SMB2 lineup back, though I wish they would have gone all out with the SMB2 influence, and just had the game take place in Subcon again, with more SMB2 bosses/enemies, including Wart. Would have made the game more memorable, instead of merely good.

2014: Hyrule Warriors - When this game was announced, I honestly didn't think all that much of the idea, because I've never been super into the Warriors series. But I got it, and it's damn fun. Put a lot of hours into it, might even be my most-played Wii U game, in sheer hours. I might have given it to Mario Kart 8, because the RACING part is great, but to me, it's held back from being ALL it could have been, by the piss-poor, phoned-in "Battle" mode. Shovel Knight also deserves a mention, but it's not Wii U exclusive. So Warriors gets it.

2015: Kind of a rough year to be honest, but I guess Yoshi's Wooly World deserves the nod. Somehow I haven't enjoyed it AS much as I did Kirby's Epic Yarn, but it's still a very solid game.

2016: Also rough, but I'll give it to Twilight Princess HD. I would have preferred that this game received the same kind of HD treatment that WW got, and it kind of pisses me off that it didn't get it. But it's still a good game, even IF they made some incredibly retarded choices, like making Rupees from chests just disappear if your wallet is full.

IF Breath of the Wild had come out in 2016 for Wii U like it was supposed to, I have a feeling it would have won GOTY hands down. And for all I know, it might still wind up being game of the SYSTEM, considering the fact that I'll likely not be getting a Switch anytime around launch. It's only too bad the game didn't come out with Wii U actually needed it, instead of as a sad afterthought.

Einsam_Delphin said:
daredevil.shark said:
2016 seems bad for Wii U. I do not remember any noteworthy games released in 2016 for Wii U.

Besides Pokken and TMS, it's for the best that we don't remember the other 2016 Wii U games.

Miyamotoo said:

2016: Paper Mario: Color Splash

mZuzek said:

2016 - Star Fox Zero

It'll be interesting to see if these games get anymore votes. I figured they'd get atleast one, of the games of this tier, it's only Mario Party, Mario Tennis, and amiibo Festival that I expect/hope get zero votes.

Paper Mario: Color Splash is pretty solid game and Wii U actually had only few games in 2016, so I dont think that Paper Mario: Color Splash is comparible with Mario Party, Mario Tennis, and amiibo Festival in any of those cases.