By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

I was thinking... Google Pixel C uses Tegra X1 at full speed (1.9GHz on CPU I believe) and doesn't have active cooling. Why is Nintendo using active cooling on Switch if it's Tegra chip is so underclocked? Maybe the rumour is false and there's no active cooling then?

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
celador said:
so I guess the Skyrim port is from the PS3 version

they better fucking knock it out of the park with software

The fact that we aren't even talking about games anymore is really bothering me.  Like at my core.  Why are we even here? 

Start thread=the topic will be talked about. Why are you coming to a console spec thread and complaining that we are talking about specs?.... 

CosmicSex said:
Random_Matt said:
Pre-order cancelled, that's just shocking.

I don't see the big deal here.   Its massively more powerful than the 3DS and the CPU alone destroys the VITA.  Stop sucking on the 4k dick. Seriously folks.  Why are we dismissing a gaming platform without even talking about games? Answer that fucking question.  I'm starting to hate gaming forums.   You guys don't even like games do you?  Please admit it so I can just get over it.  

You need to calm the fuck down. There was hardware news and it's way different than people were expecting. Why on earth would people not be talking about hardware in this thread? When we get news about more games coming to the Switch, will talk about that. Until then, take part or go away.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

CaptainExplosion said:
Trunkin said:
iirc Tegra's Shield TV runs really hot for a "mobile" chip, so there was unfortunately no way we'd be seeing that kind of performance if Nintendo simply took the X1 and put it into a handheld. Does this mean that it's safe to assume that the Switch won't be boasting an X2 after all? Those numbers pretty much kill all hope of getting the vast majority of PS4/XB1 titles on Switch. It's a pity, cause there are a couple AAA titles that would work pretty well on handheld, I think.

Anyway, this still isn't a dealbreaker for me. At $250, if the game support is solid, which it should be, it's still worthwhile purchase for me. It's still a massive upgrade from the 3DS, and probably a significant jump from the Wii U as well, gigaflops be damned.

Oh yeah, you guys can also forget about VR with those specs. Get hyped for Switch 2.0!

You're unintentionally making the Switch sound like the poor man's version of PlayStation and Xbox.

In terms of hardware, its quite terrible. Especially for something thats releasing in early 2017.

But yeah, I'm going to have to go with with Trukin on this one. Tegra X1 is a questionable choice for a portable. These chips are notoriously hot and power hungry. And going by the rumours.. the way Nintendo/Nvidia handled it it was to downclock it significatly in portable mode. Which is fine.. Though, it doesn't make it any less dissapointing.

haqqaton said:
I was thinking... Google Pixel C uses Tegra X1 at full speed (1.9GHz on CPU I believe) and doesn't have active cooling. Why is Nintendo using active cooling on Switch if it's Tegra chip is so underclocked? Maybe the rumour is false and there's no active cooling then?

The pixel likely throttles under certain conditions. 

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
Random_Matt said:
Pre-order cancelled, that's just shocking.

I don't see the big deal here.   Its massively more powerful than the 3DS and the CPU alone destroys the VITA.  Stop sucking on the 4k dick. Seriously folks.  Why are we dismissing a gaming platform without even talking about games? Answer that fucking question.  I'm starting to hate gaming forums.   You guys don't even like games do you?  Please admit it so I can just get over it.  

That trailer with the games shown, was not representative of actual gameplay on the switch, it was just bullshots.

They have only shown 1 game running on switch hardware, I think? thats Zelda during the Jimmy Fallon show, showing Zelda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TJ7IUNWGl4

Anyways this thread is about the hardware, since thats what the news article is about.

People are right to be bummed out by specs.

150 Gflops portable, and 400 Docked is kinda low.

Wont be long until you see Iphones more powerfull for portable gameing than the switch.

Random_Matt said:
haqqaton said:

Yes, but it's already severely underclocked (CPU is about half) and still uses active cooling to not throttle? It's a bit strange don't you think?

Edit: Apart from CPU being about half of the Pixel C clock the GPU is running at 80% of capacity. Is it still throttling?

I was thinking more using it for portable gaming anyways so it won't be that bad for me but I will unlikely buy it for more than 200 USD if that's the actual power level considering a shield TV is around the same price point. The problem will be space I guess, I already carry a 3DS around all the time, now I gotta carry another tablet like device in the backpack if I do get it. I see this as a true Vita experience, if that makes sense.

haqqaton said:
Random_Matt said:

Yes, but it's already severely underclocked (CPU is about half) and still uses active cooling to not throttle? It's a bit strange don't you think?

They cannot afford to give developers a system that may throttle, as DF suggested, it was created with worse case scenarios in mind. I don't think gamers would appreciate playing a game that starts buttery smooth, and an hour later the chip starts melting and throttles accordinaly, the frames would dip.

Splendid news. I wish Switch to fail so badly. Can't wait for January's disaster.

User moderated -RavenXtra