By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

As for my thoughts, its on the lower end of what I expected. It is a portable form-factor overall though, it wasn't gonna be a Xbox One on the go. What doesn't make sense though is if its so heavily underclocked, why does it even need a fan?

At the very least, it will be getting a combined platform support of Nintendo, plus some extra Japanese support with some random western third parties thrown in. That's the base of what I was expecting from Switch, hopefully they have a good lineup for launch.

Around the Network
twintail said:
spemanig said:
Something is not lining up. Not the specs, but the support.

what support?

Third party support from From Soft and Bethesda.

That is f***ing horrible news...
Its going to be so much weaker than people thought it was, damn it!

daredevil.shark said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Finally we get some reliable info that actually says something. So it basically runs like a wiiu in portable mode and its a lot faster in docked. I dont think it will get easy ports from ps4/x1 with those specs from Western third parties but we will see.
I fully am expecting it to mainly be a Nintendo/Japanese dev machine

In dock mode it's like Wii U (1/3 of Xbox one) and portable mode it's glorified PS Vita. No joke. Check other threads or neogaf.

Try reading the article:

"Even a 307.2MHz GPU based on Maxwell technology should be capable of out-performing Wii U - and certainly the Zelda: Breath of the Wild demo seen recently on the Jimmy Fallon show revealed a level of performance significantly smoother than that seen in last year's E3 code running on Wii U hardware"

That number and analysis is for the portable mode. Stop baselessly spreading FUD.

-snip-
Alt. Removed -RavenXtra

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:

It ran a Wii U game better! Rejoice!

I'm really happy indeed. Getting a game with graphics like Assassins Creed 4 runing in HD with better frame rates on a portable is quite a feat. I prefer handheld gaming after all.

Given that it's more of a handheld console than a home console, it honestly isn't much of a surprise to me. I personally don't mind because I like Nintendo's handheld systems.

Somewhat dissapoiting, somewhat?............. but what will really tell if this device will (or won´t) be a success is definetely its library of games.

If successfull japanese franchises like Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch, Shin Megami Tensei, Layton etc. have their next installments in this device (rather than going to the PS4) plus Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem etc. then the Switch will sell ok, even with low power.

I think that the simple fact that we may have all Nintendo library + lower-cost third party productions in a single device is a very, very positive thing.

haqqaton said:
bigtakilla said:

It ran a Wii U game better! Rejoice!

I'm really happy indeed. Getting a game with graphics like Assassins Creed 4 runing in HD with better frame rates on a portable is quite a feat. I prefer handheld gaming after all.

Haven't their been other options out on the market that can do this for a while now?

spemanig said:
twintail said:

what support?

Third party support from From Soft and Bethesda.

I think Skyrim and DS1-3 are achievable with those specs (not sure about DS3 though). That might be their support, nothing more.