By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Solar Power Is Becoming The World's Cheapest Energy

fatslob-:O said:

The sun is the enabler for all of life yet some would dare to even look down on it because it is also the main enabler of climate change that you guys so despise ...

This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Around the Network
Too bad that fossil fuels are cheaper than solar energy in most of the United States ...

Fossil fuels are cheaper than solar in all of USA for now... as long as you bow to the Saudis.

Solar Power has no foreseeable future as a big supplier in developed nations, eh ?

Because in developed countries demand is already covered and it would be idiotic to spend a ton of money to replace the current fossil fuel plants with something else as long as oil is cheap.

The other thing that pisses me off about so called "renewable" alternatives to energy is that their intermittent and that we'd need expensive batteries to store that energy if we want to be self sustaining from fossil fuels ...

Molten salt energy storage efficiency was 93% seven years ago on the first plant it was used and improving. It uses a mix of salts commonly used as fertilizers like Calcium Nitrate, which are quite cheap. I don't know if further preparations are required for their use in a solar plant, but you can buy them at about $250 per metric ton online.

Extreme environmentalists will never be able to break off dependence from traditional sources of energy no matter how hard they wish it LOL ...

I dunno, I wouldn't bet against silicon after what we've seen in the last decades.

I don't know much about this (energy sources) but the Pandora's Promise documentary says that nuclear energy is by far the cheapest and the most efficient energy source. Besides, it's the source that have less impact on environment.

By the way, they address the point of nuclear toxic wast and - if it's true - we're being desinformed all along. Again, according to them the toxic waste is incredible minimal.

haqqaton said:

I don't know much about this (energy sources) but the Pandora's Promise documentary says that nuclear energy is by far the cheapest and the most efficient energy source. Besides, it's the source that have less impact on environment.

By the way, they address the point of nuclear toxic wast and - if it's true - we're being desinformed all along. Again, according to them the toxic waste is incredible minimal.

If we would replace all power producing plants with nuclear we would run out of uranium in 40 years.

Too bad that fossil fuels are cheaper than solar energy in most of the United States ...

Solar Power has no foreseeable future as a big supplier in developed nations, eh ?

The other thing that pisses me off about so called "renewable" alternatives to energy is that their intermittent and that we'd need expensive batteries to store that energy if we want to be self sustaining from fossil fuels ...

Extreme environmentalists will never be able to break off dependence from traditional sources of energy no matter how hard they wish it LOL ...

What are you credentials for saying so? Because I've had a number of master electricians tell me that the advent of the Tesla Powerwall has accelerated America many steps closer to being able to swear off fossil fuels. The only issue now is the warmer states, where air conditioning is practically a necessity to survive. When solar can generate enough power to run AC, we can get rid of fossil fuel dependence. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
haqqaton said:

Until it goes boom!!!!

Well, meltdowns rarely happen. The problem with it happening in Japan a few years ago is because it was next to a body of water. To avoid this, we would need to find a different way to power places near water. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Soundwave said:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a24357/solar-power-cheapest-energy/

Over the past six years, the cost of solar energy has dropped dramatically, to the point where it is now even cheaper than wind power in emerging markets like China and India. This may be largely due to rising investments in solar over the last few years. Now, there is electricity being produced in Chile for $29.10 per megawatt hour–half the price of power produced by coal.

Not good news for the oil/gas/coal industries but good news for humanity. 

The sourced article from bloomberg only states that two contracts in 2016 have pledged to produce solar electrcity at those prices, well one at 64 and the other at 29.10. They haven't actually done it yet. While it is great news that solar is finally getting competive I always like to wait and see what actually happens

Azuren said:

What are you credentials for saying so? Because I've had a number of master electricians tell me that the advent of the Tesla Powerwall has accelerated America many steps closer to being able to swear off fossil fuels. The only issue now is the warmer states, where air conditioning is practically a necessity to survive. When solar can generate enough power to run AC, we can get rid of fossil fuel dependence. 

Just read the end of the article ... 

thranx said:

The sourced article from bloomberg only states that two contracts in 2016 have pledged to produce solar electrcity at those prices, well one at 64 and the other at 29.10. They haven't actually done it yet. While it is great news that solar is finally getting competive I always like to wait and see what actually happens

What usually happens to technology?  It gets cheaper and especially if more are being produced.  There shouldn't be any excuse not to have solar on all our rooftops through solar roof shingles or other means in a decade or so.  This would cut the demand for power plants to power our buildings.  It just needs to get a little more down in price where it is barely more expensive than traditional shingles.

Netyaroze said:
haqqaton said:

If we would replace all power producing plants with nuclear we would run out of uranium in 40 years.

We can make more Uranium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTKl5X72NIc

Have you seen the documentary (Pandora's Promise)? It's really interesting. It's on Netflix.