By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Trump: 'Nobody Really Knows' If Climate Change Is Real

Locknuts said:
Man made climate change may turn out to be significant and it may not, but I think we need to be aware that there are those who will use climate change to push their own agenda.

It's important that we don't panic and that every time a solution is proposed we ask the question: what's in it for the person proposing it? What's their agenda?

For politicians it's a lot easier to deny climate change. If an important person says 'nobody really knows if climate change is real', then people will believe him. This way, they do not have to feel guilty for keeping polluting.

You could compare it to a politician who wants to abolish all taxes. It sounds good, but it isn't. In the first few years, people will get richer, but after that the country will have a lot of debts and there will be an economical crisis.

Also, the oil lobby is way bigger than the 'green energy lobby' (if that even exists). Fossil fuel is cheaper than  renewable energy.

By the way, 99% of the scientists say climate change is real. Why would they lie? Some people seem to think that being a scientist means that you're a part of some sort of cult or political organisation.

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:

No they are not you can survive extreme cold relvatively easily and its not that difficult to build a shelter to guard against extreme cold humans have been doing it for thousands of years.  The only problem with exteme cold is if you are stuck in it too long there is good chance you might loose some toes, fingers  or other body parts  due to frost bite.  But with extreme heat once you go into heat stroke or are dehydrated you will die pretty quickly without imeditate medical attention.  Most places that have numerous days above 40C would have less then 1/10 the population they have today without air conditioning since humans adapt a lot less to extreme heat then extreme cold.

A shelter isn't enough, especially in -40*C ... (while 40*C is far from comfortable at least homeostasis is less likely to fail you there since you have a realistic option of sweating able to cool you down whereas most people can't even sustain living in -20*C or let along fathom living in -40*C) 

You'd need some sort of reliable heating system to prevent falling into hypothermia condition ... (dying from dehydration is totally different to dying from a heat stroke) 

Even the CDC agrees with me that Americans are more likely to die from excessive exposure to cold temperatures than hot temperatures, in fact TWICE as likely! 

That's a report coming from an Agency whose full of medical professionals

Flilix said:
UnderstatedCornHole said:

Pixie dust and magic carpets.

These 'liberal scientists' you were talking about are probably the least superstitious people in the world.

They know you should do research instead of just believing what other people say.

They don't "know" anything. They simply understand what the results of a certain test means in the narrow context of the biased direction they've been asked to test in.

A few of the ignorant vocal ones will go for 15 minutes of fame.

They puppet exactly what "other people say". They don't realize they are in an echo chamber. They are no more intellectual than hollywood celebs who are surrounded by more useful idiots like themselves. The worst thing about "scienties" is that they forget they are irrantional emotionally and fall back on science to prove to themselves they aren't muppets.

Their data is extrapolated by ill people who serve to manipulate the masses and thus we have "climate change".

Real issues don't even get dealt with in politics, do you think something might not be real is going to be looked seriously? Don't be so naive.

It's just something for the liberals to worship and feel good about themselves and make them more pliable.

you guys can look this up if you want to, I forgot the name of it but I was watching a documentary about global warming, and in it they were showing how almost all the navy officers are moving away from coastal areas to live in higher terrain.

if anyone other than scientist knows about raising sea levels, and global warming, it'll be officers in the Navy.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
fatslob-:O said:
Chris Hu said:

No they are not you can survive extreme cold relvatively easily and its not that difficult to build a shelter to guard against extreme cold humans have been doing it for thousands of years.  The only problem with exteme cold is if you are stuck in it too long there is good chance you might loose some toes, fingers  or other body parts  due to frost bite.  But with extreme heat once you go into heat stroke or are dehydrated you will die pretty quickly without imeditate medical attention.  Most places that have numerous days above 40C would have less then 1/10 the population they have today without air conditioning since humans adapt a lot less to extreme heat then extreme cold.

A shelter isn't enough, especially in -40*C ... (while 40*C is far from comfortable at least homeostasis is less likely to fail you there since you have a realistic option of sweating able to cool you down whereas most people can't even sustain living in -20*C or let along fathom living in -40*C) 

You'd need some sort of reliable heating system to prevent falling into hypothermia condition ... (dying from dehydration is totally different to dying from a heat stroke) 

Even the CDC agrees with me that Americans are more likely to die from excessive exposure to cold temperatures than hot temperatures, in fact TWICE as likely! 

He's not going to agree with you no matter how much obvious logic you use.

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
you guys can look this up if you want to, I forgot the name of it but I was watching a documentary about global warming, and in it they were showing how almost all the navy officers are moving away from coastal areas to live in higher terrain.

if anyone other than scientist knows about raising sea levels, and global warming, it'll be officers in the Navy.

That's a leap of logic.

They could be moving for any reason, if you've been working at sea all your life it just might be you don't want to live next to it when you retire etc.

Companies that make documentaries don't do it to inform, they do it for ratings, profit. They can and do twist anything. Question everything, especially when it's a nice friendly narrative that gives you confirmation bias!

someone call some Eskimo's. ask them how they survive living in a ice box.

deskpro2k3 said:

That's a leap of logic.

They could be moving for any reason, if you've been working at sea all your life it just might be you don't want to live next to it when you retire etc.

Companies that make documentaries don't do it to inform, they do it for ratings, profit. They can and do twist anything. Question everything, especially when it's a nice friendly narrative that gives you confirmation bias!

source? look, if you got this from facebook don't even bother..

deskpro2k3 said:

That's a leap of logic.

source? look, if you got this from facebook don't even bother..

Source?

You need the source, you're making the statement against accepted norm, or you are introducing new information.

Facebook? What is your obsession with Facebook, I don't even use Facebook. That's the third time you've bought it up for no reason.

Soundwave said:
Who knows. A 400 pound man on his bed in New Jersey could be causing global warming. We don't know.

fatslob-:O said:
Chris Hu said:

I caught the tail-end of your discussion, and forgive me if someone already brought this up, but just to play devil's advocate a bit here, I'd present you with a bit of information on the igloo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igloo

"On the outside, temperatures may be as low as −45 °C (−49 °F), but on the inside the temperature may range from −7 °C (19 °F) to 16 °C (61 °F) when warmed by body heat alone"

I think this is a good argument in favour of the ease with which humans can survive in cold temperatures (and have been doing so for thousands of years. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but do you have a similar apparatus humans can use that can decrease outside hot temperatures as efficiently as igloos, without using things like electricity or other types of power generators (since igloos only use body heat, and often require a chimney to vent the excess heat and prevent melting)?