By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo files multiple Switch-related patents (Controllers, dock, tablet, possible VR)

spemanig said:
There's a patent for a Joy-Con with a Dpad and the right analog stick on top of the face buttons.

There is a God.

I wonder if these will be available at launch. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

Well to be honest, dock system is a nice idea... not great. But it can be great if it success. Currently i am playin ps4 with my friends and none of them have a wiiu but some of them have 3ds. And im surprise how my ps4 friends got a hype with switch. I am not that hype, but it feels nice how they asked me frequently about nintendo. For example some funny questions.. is there any metroid sequel on wiiu? Or is there a "new" zelda before botw on wii u? There is will be a new metroid on wiiu? What wiiu player playing for multiplayer? Is there any voice party? Or we play mario 3d online? What is the last game you (me) playing on wiiu? If i buy digital games on wiiu can we share it? There is so much "hope" in our convertation. I wonder if nintendo fanboy can interact every time we playing mp games. I still have ton of nintendo fanboy they really proud how wiiu are. It makes me sad sometime, but i understand how they feel. Back to the switch, when i see switch trailer for the 1st time, i know what are nintendo trying to offer. But sadly its not enough.. nintendo need to pull their old market alongside with their new market. Ps4 and X1 player every night trying to convincing their new and old friends to buy this game or that game on party. And they will convincing non gamer or mobile gamer to play ps4 or x1. And if they successfull convicing they friend, They bring their new friend on party and... we got a new friend. Ops too long...

I'm beginning to believe those words of Bethesda about the E3 demo .

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Oh wow, that's a lot of patents.. tagging

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Pyro as Bill said:
Wii Sports VR - https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4g6eb8/wii_sports_on_dolphin_vr/

Dolphin/Wii VR - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8eM1e6gg5I

Plenty of low power SD classics to choose from.

Metroid Prime in VR... now that's something that could make me buy a Switch earlier than I thought!

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Jranation said:
spemanig said:
There's a patent for a Joy-Con with a Dpad and the right analog stick on top of the face buttons.

There is a God.

I wonder if these will be available at launch. 

I can only pray.

Switch VR is weird. (They have to call it the Virtual Boy 2)

Because this could be a big deal. I don't know though. 720p is really bad for VR, and we have to keep in mind that any VR games would be using the lesser undocked power, but everything else is really good. Since proper VR is in its infancy, will people care about that yet if it's affordable and convenient? They didn't with the Wii. It has:

1. Motion controllers built in
2. Wireless VR
3. Dedicated gaming OS and marketplace, unlike similar products like Samsung Gear VR/Google Cardbox
4. Price.

For $250 + however much the frame is (let's say $99 like Gear VR), you can theoretically get a full fledged console and wireless VR with console quality and quantity VR games and motion controllers built in. A theoretical $350 for all of that is way cheaper than the competition. But it's also of much lower quality because of the screen and power. But again, will people care? This would drastically lower the barrier to entry to VR and make it extremely affordable.

I don't care what anyone says - $250 for a console (PS4 holiday bundle) + $400 for a PSVR headset + $60 for PS Move + $40 for Playstation Camera = $750 at least to have the cheapest VR experience right now, and that's before applying sales tax. That's a huge barrier to entry. Even the $500 before tax that it would cost if you already own a PS4 is a lot of money, and that's still a wired experience, which is a big deal no matter how you slice it. It's $350ish vs $750 if you own neither, or $500 vs maybe $99 if you own both. That's a big difference, and unlike mobile phones that have tried this, Switch has a dedicated gaming marketplace that can actually get games like Arkham VR. It would just be an inferior port. For less money. But a better user experience outside of the actual VR quality because it's wireless and comes with motion controllers and can be played anywhere. This is tough.

Would Nintendo even do this, though? That's the other thing. Outside of Metroid Prime, they don't really have franchises that would translate to VR very well. Maybe racing games like F-Zero and Mario Kart. Maybe new IP as well, but I don't see Nintendo making something like this unless they can use it a lot for their own games. I guess they could also do the whole "virtual console" thing as well, where you're using VR to simulate a bigger screen.

Switch VR is REALLY weird.

I've been saying the Switch is likely to support VR for a long time and as I said before I won't be surprised if the surprise is VR.

This to me makes the Switch an absolutely brilliant gaming option. Google cardboard does work but controllers and setting up etc can be time consuming and results vary. This is a VR solution that is simply slot in and play and low cost. Virtual Reality is amazing and no reason to think the Switch won't be amazing too. I'm absolutely hyped for this now that VR is confirmed.

I think the Switch may have a 1080p screen but even with 720p its not a deal breaker for decent VR. Yes the pixels will be larger but it doesn't mean it won't be a great gaming experience. Christ, the crappy little low res screens some of the Nintendo portables have had. It's still going to be a minimum of 640x720 per eye at 720p. It could even be a screen resolution between 720p and 1080p.

bonzobanana said:
I've been saying the Switch is likely to support VR for a long time and as I said before I won't be surprised if the surprise is VR.

This to me makes the Switch an absolutely brilliant gaming option. Google cardboard does work but controllers and setting up etc can be time consuming and results vary. This is a VR solution that is simply slot in and play and low cost. Virtual Reality is amazing and no reason to think the Switch won't be amazing too. I'm absolutely hyped for this now that VR is confirmed.

I think the Switch may have a 1080p screen but even with 720p its not a deal breaker for decent VR. Yes the pixels will be larger but it doesn't mean it won't be a great gaming experience. Christ, the crappy little low res screens some of the Nintendo portables have had. It's still going to be a minimum of 640x720 per eye at 720p. It could even be a screen resolution between 720p and 1080p.

VR isn't confirmed.

But I do admit that I was one of the naysayers, and this makes it way more likely than it ever seemed before. The rumor is that the screen resolution is 720p. There's no reason to believe it will be 1080p. 720p isn't a deal breaker, but it is not for VR, no matter how you slice it. It doesn't matter how bad Nintendo screens used to be. They weren't being used for VR. If this becomes a real product, the screendoor effect the 720p screen will bring is a very noticeable issue.

But like I stated in my post above, it might not be a deal breaker. Switch could very well be the Wii of VR. The cheap and accessable entry point that is inferior to the competition on a technical level, but massively successful regardless. Just thinking about playing Mario Kart VR locally (or online) with 4 friends makes me drool, regardless of if it's inferier to the competition on a technical level. If it's cheaper and more accessible, that might be enough to give it that critical edge. Especially if Nintendo are the ones to give VR its Wii Sports. And of all the companies in the world, they would be.

inb4 "Switch Sports"

Captain_Yuri said:
Without scrolling through everything, anyone see anything resembling a micro-sd card slot?

Yes its there.

Well, to be exact slots are referred to, not "microsd" specific. But, for all intent and purpose the illustrations/description prove it has to be "SD" as that is the only logically used storage medium at this point and Nintendo has used it in the last few mobiles.