By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ARK dev: PS4 Pro performance equal to $900 gaming PC

CosmicSex said:
If you actually do the math he is about right.

No, not even close, and there are a few examples in this thread and if you need more, I will find the neogaf thread for you where this is even more discussed.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
UnderstatedCornHole said:
PS4 Pro is no match for a GTX 970.
It's R460 which is considerably down the pile.
On the very absolute lower edge of middle range for today's graphics cards and that is being generous.
Researched consensus.

You can build a competing gaming PC for far less than $900 equivalent even here in the UK. I'd say approximately $500-$550 if being extremely selective.

It's not, it's 480 downclocked to 911MHz, so more or less, around 470 performance. Still ludicrous statement about $900, when 480/1060 rig (with OS and gamepad) would cost around $600-$650...and that's not going for cheapest components.

Barkley said:
PS4 Pro is no match for a GTX 970.
It's R460 which is considerably down the pile.

I hope that was a typo, RX460 is a 2.2TF Card.

Well you guys seem to have some specifics. Thanks for enlightening me on this I read a bit before release and hearth RX460 banded about a fair bit. Gives a nice warm feeling as still thought the pro was a bit underpowered but can't complain at that kind of gpu equivalent.

One question though, I thought the pro TF quote was a kind of pseudo best situation and not a real absolute raw number?

If baseline PS4 is 680p@30fps, how low have they gone for baseline X1? Or there isn't a X1 version?

Is this have that demanding and pretty or just poor codded? 1080p30fps on Pro also seems very low.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
If baseline PS4 is 680p@30fps, how low have they gone for baseline X1? Or there isn't a X1 version?

It's been on X1 for a while, and it ran absolutley TERRIBLY. I have no idea how much it improved over time, but it was running at 612p and dropping to as low as 15fps.

I wonder what his statement will be when Scorpio is launched.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:

Presumably higher than $900.

Pemalite said:
Trunkin said:
Wtf is with that PS4Pro performance? Other games are running at 1800p and arc can only reach 1080!?

Also, he's wrong about that $900 PC. I could buy a gtx 1060 right now for $250 and the total cost of my rig would barely exceed $900, and that's including the $200 I spent on the gtx960 that I currently have.

I can drop a new GPU into my "Last Generation" PC and smash the PS4 Pro into next week for $350 AUD or less. (PS4 pro is $550-$600 AUD).
And still get cheaper games, free online. - And that's Australia, where nothing is cheap. Not even beer.

If we are doing comparisons like that Pema I can also say that I can sell my PS4 here in Brazil for R$1500 (around 450USD), and when in USA buy PS4Pro on BF for 330 USD and paying -120USD on the upgrade, how is that for value?

HoloDust said:

It's not, it's 480 downclocked to 911MHz, so more or less, around 470 performance. Still ludicrous statement about $900, when 480/1060 rig (with OS and gamepad) would cost around $600-$650...and that's not going for cheapest components.

Barkley said:

I hope that was a typo, RX460 is a 2.2TF Card.

Well you guys seem to have some specifics. Thanks for enlightening me on this I read a bit before release and hearth RX460 banded about a fair bit. Gives a nice warm feeling as still thought the pro was a bit underpowered but can't complain at that kind of gpu equivalent.

One question though, I thought the pro TF quote was a kind of pseudo best situation and not a real absolute raw number?

Nope... 4,2TF is real world performance of PS4Pro, the pseudo value was an "invented" 8,4TF on 16bit integer that would have very little application.

Barkley said:
DonFerrari said:

It's been on X1 for a while, and it ran absolutley TERRIBLY. I have no idea how much it improved over time, but it was running at 612p and dropping to as low as 15fps.

I see... that is very bad.

@all people bashing OP and asking to stop the comparisons... from what I remember in this forum it's more acceptable for people to have incorrect positive image of things than to be negative about things even when you are right.

And even more funny is guys making rigs for 600+ and suggesting kb+mouses for 10USD, can any of you be sincere in saying you buy this range of kb and mouse for your playing PC?

Besides that, the guy is a dev, so it isn't ruler opinion is the dev analysis as wrong as it may be. And I believe he is saying that this is the cost for an average person who would buy a built rig, not for expert users who will research discount and pick each component to their liking or be upgrading. So there is no point in saying "I can match this performance with this bargains from 10 different stores on discontinued parts".

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Barkley said:
walsufnir said:

Presumably higher than $900.

Scorpio will be in 1 year, so yep should be about the same, the decrease on the cost of PC together with the raise in performance should match.

walsufnir said:

The point of the thread is that someone made a silly comment about a console and made an even worse comparison and ruler thought this would make a good thread.

Truth is ps4p is not comparable to such a pc.

He always thinks it's a good time to make a thread where he pits the PS4P against a PC to make the PC side look terrible. It's either piracy or really bad optimization when it comes to these type of vs threads. I'm expecting another time in the next few weeks to months where he posts yet another thread that makes PS4P look miles better than PC or a thread that once again puts PC in the negative spotlight.

The devs have proven to be really shitty when it comes to overall optimization. I've been watching the game since it came out on PC and even the latest GPU like the 1080 cannot cut the butter with the game, yet it can with all sorts of other AAA games, this proves that the devs do not in fact know how to optimize properly at all. All they keep doing, is constantly release updates that churn out content or mechanics, new dinos, rather than sorting out the actual game itself.

This recently came to light and it shows that the devs don't even know how to sort out PVP well either.:

These are the same devs that charge you for DLC when the game isn't even completed, let alone optimized. Can't say I trust them as far as I could throw them when it comes to ever taking their word.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

just PR talk, for 900 you can get a 1060 or even 1070 in your rig, which is significantly more powerfull then the pro

Twitter @CyberMalistix