By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXV's Sales In Japan: It Is Time For Japanese Devs To Support Switch?

Yes, the console market in Japan is very weak, has been for a very long time, but in this particular case, I agree with Nautilus, this is more on the state of the FF brand, the damage XIII caused and the structure of FFXV itself (with its open world and battle system it´s more in line with a Western game) than on consoles.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Soundwave said:

Opening weeks for main line Final Fantasy games in Japan:

Final Fantasy VII: 2.03 million first week

Final Fantasy VIII: 2.5 million first week

Final Fantasy IX: 1.94 million first week

Final Fantasy X: 1.75 million first week

Final Fantasy XII: 1.84 million first week

Final Fantasy XIII: 1.5 million first week

Final Fantasy XV: 690k first week

Care to post the numbers on Nintendo consoles? ^^

From gaf with love... haha

[FC] Final Fantasy - ? / 520.000

[FC] Final Fantasy II - 9.566pts (two week period) / 760.000

[FC] Final Fantasy III - 12.631pts / 1.400.000

[SFC] Final Fantasy IV - ? / 1.440.000

[SFC] Final Fantasy V - ? / 2.450.000

[SFC] Final Fantasy VI - 278.159pts / 2.550.000

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?s=6c3388154326d859d71b59448e9c9d09&t=1322896

But yeah, the Switch can only really make a difference in Japan. Final Fantasy's core audience in the west have no issue with home consoles.

BraLoD said:
Soundwave said:

Opening weeks for main line Final Fantasy games in Japan:

Final Fantasy VII: 2.03 million first week

Final Fantasy VIII: 2.5 million first week

Final Fantasy IX: 1.94 million first week

Final Fantasy X: 1.75 million first week

Final Fantasy XII: 1.84 million first week

Final Fantasy XIII: 1.5 million first week

Final Fantasy XV: 690k first week

Care to post the numbers on Nintendo consoles? ^^

Unfortuantely there aren't reliable first week numbers going back that far. This is the lowest FW for Final Fantasy since Final Fantasy IV or V I believe. FFV went on to sell 2.45 milion in Japan, no way is this coming close to that though. 

And you ask if it´s time for Japanese devs to support the Switch...what makes you think they won´t?...if anything, I´d say a healthy Japanese 3rd party support for the system is to be expected.

Around the Network

Basically you are saying Square should revive their declining franchise in japan, by releasing it on NS, the successor of a failure. Come on now, how much have you been waiting to post this thread? we don't know yet how good it will do that console in japan, I also heard WiiU was going to rekt PS4 WORLDWIDE and here we are

BraLoD said:
tak13 said:

From gaf with love... haha

[FC] Final Fantasy - ? / 520.000

[FC] Final Fantasy II - 9.566pts (two week period) / 760.000

[FC] Final Fantasy III - 12.631pts / 1.400.000

[SFC] Final Fantasy IV - ? / 1.440.000

[SFC] Final Fantasy V - ? / 2.450.000

[SFC] Final Fantasy VI - 278.159pts / 2.550.000

http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?s=6c3388154326d859d71b59448e9c9d09&t=1322896

How dare you mention GAF here? Banned!
Oh wait, it's the other way around... thanks then.

Lol Sometimes, I'm avoiding mentioning it here, in retaliation...

leyendax69 said:
Basically you are saying Square should revive their declining franchise in japan, by releasing it on NS, the successor of a failure. Come on now, how much have you been waiting to post this thread? we don't know yet how good it will do that console in japan, I also heard WiiU was going to rekt PS4 WORLDWIDE and here we are

I'm saying the situation is far more dire than that. The time for Japanese developers playing favorites need to be over. 

Nintendo is the only one that can save the Japanese traditional gaming market. I'm sorry if that view bothers some people but it's looking patently true. Playstation 3 and 4 have not lit Japan on fire at all, a hybrid platform like Switch backed by the might of Nintendo's 1st party IP like Pokemon and Mario Kart and Splatoon is the last, best hope for Japan. 

But even Nintendo needs help. These developers need to wake up and realize they need to help Nintendo or the entire Japanese game market is fucked. As in I hope they enjoy making mobile games, I hope they enjoy making Street Fighter VI and Dragon Quest XII and Monster Hunter VI on iOS/Android. 

Because that's where this is going. 

Man, I really, really want KH1.5 and 2.5 on switch.
With dont just SE test if a home console KH would do well on a nintendo console?
It makes more sense than FF

Oh my, you've finally gone off the deep end haven't you?

how about you think of this, what made square switch from Nintendo to sony to begin with?

If you can remember that one, then while you are at it kindly tell us how they will make a 40-51GB game fit in a 16GB cart?

Has it occurred to you, that going off Nintendo hardware decisions at all respective generations, it would just have been physically impossible for any FF from 7 through to the cuttrnt 15 to work on Nintendo hardware?