By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox head: The ‘final destination’ for VR gaming should be a HoloLens style headset

Glad to see MS finally caught up, realizing untethered mixed reality headset will be the norm in the not so far future.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
SvennoJ said:

Awesome, you have hololens.

I'm wondering can it make the holograms really solid like in VR, or is there always some translucency going on? I guess it depends on the room lighting?
Is it possible to effectively darken areas (like darkening sunglasses) or is it only additive, overpowering background light?
Can it simply act as VR if you put a blindfold over it? :)

Style will eventually be normal glasses, long way off. Then vr contacts!
Or perhaps retinal projectors.

It depends on 2 things actually :) I really played a lot and tried different things with it.

- Room lightning definitely but it is really not that much a problem (of course if you are outside in a very sunny day it may but it will still work)
- The most impacting thing is the actual hologram. Holograms are basically ray of lights with the hololens being projected into the 2 small screens; so if the holograms is too dark (using darker textures) then less light are projected and if you are really projecting something black, Hololens is basically not projecting anything at all :)

I would say that for very bright holograms, it can actually appears almost solid and I can definitly hide the "real" objects behind it (I 'm trying it at the same time than typing this :) Actually, I can see the object behind if I really focus but the hologram is really almost appearing solid). But if I go darker (close to blak) then it will virtualy be transparent.

Overall this is really not an issue tho because you just design your application in consequence and so far I did not really have any problem with that.

Interesting, so it's pretty much additive light for now. I guess adding an extra layer that can block light might work, so you can project a video screen in the environment. Although I don't know how the optics work. It's probably not as simple as adding an extra lcd layer to darken incoming light.

Looks like it's a projection system
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/6/11376442/microsoft-hololens-holograms-parts-teardown-photos-hands-on
No partial blocking of light, it wouldn't work with focus.

How does focus work btw? Are the holograms projected at the correct focal length, or do they exist at a certain minimum distance from your eyes. VR headsets have convergence sorted out, yet everything is at the same focal length. So even though close ojects in VR look like a double image when you look at the background and vice verse, both fore and background are always at the same focal distance, which takes some getting used to. Do the holograms actually go blurry when you look at different distances?

" Xbox head: The ‘final destination’ for VR gaming should be a HoloLens style headset"

looks at pics of it.... not bad.

Yes they should make smaller VR headsets...  On the other hand though, VR headsets can show so much more detail pictures currently than what Hololense does, that I can understand why they are bigger.

Since VR can show AR but AR won't be full room and changing dinamically while you play I'll say VR will be much more immersive. Right now Hololens would be better social experience, but on next versions of VR headsets nothing will prevent you from having multiple headsets playing in the same environment.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

first, cordless VR or AR is still extremely expensive , but eventually we will get there but in 5 to 10 years from now.

second the AR from holo lens tech also is not cheap as well , the tech still need to be perfected. It's still a long way to go. But yes Phil Spencer is correct well of course i have predicted this easily is not a rocket science.

The question is for Microsoft , and Xbox Division, can they deliver the content and the games. Every companies can create great and advance tech in time, but what gamers want is the games and the content of the media. The same thing goes with VR and AR. Microsoft need to make great games and just not solelely depend on third party studios, they need to invest more and create good studio from scratch. Turn 10 already in agood track , they need more if they want still win from SONY.  The winner is always the gamer and gamer want games not just variaty and quantity but quality as well. 

but we will see in time how the future will unfold. 

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

" Xbox head: The ‘final destination’ for VR gaming should be a HoloLens style headset"

looks at pics of it.... not bad.

Yes they should make smaller VR headsets...  On the other hand though, VR headsets can show so much more detail pictures currently than what Hololense does, that I can understand why they are bigger.

There's also this

Avegant Glyph, can be used as normal headphones too.
It's not VR though, 720p 3D viewer with 40 degrees fov. Bigger fov than hololens yet still far short for decent VR.

We're probably stuck with the big headsets until someone figures out the optics to get wide fov working. I can see past the edges of my glasses in PSVR, ie my glasses aren't big enough to use as VR screens. Can't be smaller than ski goggles.

Something like that.

Phill Spencers logic: if i dont have anything my self i talk it down

lol Hololens costs $3000+ , how is it comparable to VR? VR is perspective not holographic image both are like night and day

of course, provided HoloLens is a affordable headset like not more than $299

HokageTenshi said:

MS is planning a $299 windows 10 headset. Not Hololens though

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/81175/20161204/microsofts-vr-headset-release-date-price-specs-microsofts-vr-headset-is-better-than-oculus-rift.htm

No specs yet, except you don't need extra base station as it will have inside out tracking, but still tethered.
PC specs suggest the resolution won't be great, (4GB ram, 4 cores, DX12 compatible gpu)

It's targeted to be made by 3rd parties, like the Steam box. So specs and price will probably vary.

SvennoJ said:
HokageTenshi said:

MS is planning a $299 windows 10 headset. Not Hololens though

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/81175/20161204/microsofts-vr-headset-release-date-price-specs-microsofts-vr-headset-is-better-than-oculus-rift.htm

No specs yet, except you don't need extra base station as it will have inside out tracking, but still tethered.
PC specs suggest the resolution won't be great, (4GB ram, 4 cores, DX12 compatible gpu)

It's targeted to be made by 3rd parties, like the Steam box. So specs and price will probably vary.

My concern for those headsets isn't resolution. It's screen tech and optics. It may very well be something like a 1080p pentile LCD display with rather basic lenses.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.