By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Xbox Rant - MS needs to step up their game

Valid rant 156 73.58%

Invalid rant 56 26.42%

Total:212

For whatever reason, I gravitated towards Xbox 360 over PS3. I've bought every PlayStation device aside from that phone and I've generally loved them but I looked Xbox 360 better. I never even owned an original Xbox and, to be 100% transparent, Nintendo has always been my sentimental favorite game company.

With the 8th gen, I purchased a PS4 first and got an Xbox One a few months later. I'm very pleased with it, at this point. I'm not a PC gamer so I've had a lot of fun with games like ReCore and Quantum Break on the platform. As far as my enjoyment goes, they've ranked right up there with the competitor's best.

Right now, I have three Xbox One consoles (a 500GB original, a 1TB original, and a 500GB S that Judy arrived yesterday). I have two PS4s (a 500GB original and a 1TB Pro). I love all of them and I'm really excited about Gravity Rush 2 and Nier 2 but based on personal tastes, if I could only have one console in my home, I'd hang on to an Xbox One.

Of course, that's just me. I'm happy with what they've offered and what's to come. It's okay if you're not. We're just here to play games. It's not that serious.

Around the Network

The OP wants MS to be something that they are not. This is there plan B and I think its a great plan. Why get in a pissing match that you already lost? Might as well play to your strengths and that is PC for MS. Bravo, I say. As for the games output. What do you expect? its always been like this, some people let a couple of timed exclusives cloud their vision but I'm pretty sure MS has been the less of the three in output, hell we shouldnt even be comparing them as Ninty and Sony have all of Japan. Its not fair

I dont think MS is in the position to really go hog wild on new "varied" IPs there main series arent what they used to be and the lower tier stuff isnt setting the world ablaze

Microsoft has tried variety. They bought Minecraft, released Rare Replay, they're pushing Sea of Thieves, they had Project Spark. There's the usual suspects like Crackdown, Gears, Halo, Halo Wars, and Forza.

It's up to demand to drive their output. If the Xbox One is selling well (not better than the competition but well enough to be successful and profitable), then what's their incentive to change?

I like variety as much as the next guy. I don't really look at list wars. I buy what I like and I but whatever I want. I put my money where my mouth is. If M$ had Super RPG 6 and Sony didn't, that would be a good thing....if I actually bought Super RPG 6. A lot of people are more than happy to list games that they have no intention of playing.

I see 20 games announced for platform A but I only buy 7. I see 10 games for platform B and I only buy 7. At the end of the day, when it comes down to enjoyment, the numbers didn't really matter. As long as I'm pleased with what my platform had to offer, it's okay with me.

Then again, WiiU was my favorite platform for years so I may just be a crazy person. Please ignore me.

d21lewis said:
Microsoft has tried variety. They bought Minecraft, released Rare Replay, they're pushing Sea of Thieves, they had Project Spark. There's the usual suspects like Crackdown, Gears, Halo, Halo Wars, and Forza.

It's up to demand to drive their output. If the Xbox One is selling well (not better than the competition but well enough to be successful and profitable), then what's their incentive to change?

I like variety as much as the next guy. I don't really look at list wars. I buy what I like and I but whatever I want. I put my money where my mouth is. If M$ had Super RPG 6 and Sony didn't, that would be a good thing....if I actually bought Super RPG 6. A lot of people are more than happy to list games that they have no intention of playing.

I see 20 games announced for platform A but I only buy 7. I see 10 games for platform B and I only buy 7. At the end of the day, when it comes down to enjoyment, the numbers didn't really matter. As long as I'm pleased with what my platform had to offer, it's okay with me.

Then again, WiiU was my favorite platform for years so I may just be a crazy person. Please ignore me.

Will do, crazy!

But seriously, thats my point. They did try variety, really try with 360 and it didnt work out that well so you cant blame them for not going as hard. They are doing some things now but it kinda pales to what they did in 360 heyday, again not blaming them if the demand isnt there it isnt there.

Around the Network

The difference between Sony outsourcing & MS outsourcing third parties/ projects is Sony actually has a history of developing internal projects. In fact, Sega, Nintendo & Sony all have first party games that have sold well or been critically praised, MS has only one (Forza) that even fits this bill.  

THREE. GENS. IN. 

Not just this gen but... 

THREE. GENS. IN. 

MS definitely has to step up their first party development, they have enough money to do so & even have the userbase (Xbox + PC) that could justify the risks of a new IP.  

PotentHerbs said:

The difference between Sony outsourcing & MS outsourcing third parties/ projects is Sony actually has a history of developing internal projects. In fact, Sega, Nintendo & Sony all have first party games that have sold well or been critically praised, MS has only one (Forza) that even fits this bill.  

THREE. GENS. IN. 

Not just this gen but... 

THREE. GENS. IN. 

MS definitely has to step up their first party development, they have enough money to do so & even have the userbase (Xbox + PC) that could justify the risks of a new IP.  

This. Its why people give the other two a "pass" they've proven themselves a long time ago.

jason1637 said:
Youre just not a big enough MS fan. For an example you said they havent been bringing anything new and say Nintendo offering is better. IP wise MS has funded or created more new ips this gen than Nintendo in the past 3 generations. The problem isnt the offering but its that youre not interested in what their offering.

You need to read better, Im not saying that sony or nintendo make better games, that's a personal opiniom.  Im saying that xbox is lacking exclusive content and as pc gamer the only must have franchise is halo, and Im not going to buy one system for one game cause everything else is on pc.

onionberry said:
jason1637 said:
Youre just not a big enough MS fan. For an example you said they havent been bringing anything new and say Nintendo offering is better. IP wise MS has funded or created more new ips this gen than Nintendo in the past 3 generations. The problem isnt the offering but its that youre not interested in what their offering.

You need to read better, Im not saying that sony or nintendo make better games, that's a personal opiniom.  Im saying that xbox is lacking exclusive content and as pc gamer the only must have franchise is halo, and Im not going to buy one system for one game cause everything else is on pc.

you have to divorce yourself from this idea that MS should make exclusives JUST for Xbox, that isnt happening anymore

oniyide said:
onionberry said:

you have to divorce yourself from this idea that MS should make exclusives JUST for Xbox, that isnt happening anymore

Then they should make all the games for xbox and windows, just one unified brand. They are doing that right now, but what about halo???