By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Bernie Sanders wouldn't have won against Donald Trump in the election.

fatslob-:O said:

Nate Silver disagrees in his analysis ... (I too didn't think it was rigged but I can't deny that some rules just don't favour Sander's however at the same time I can't overlook the extra 3 and a half a million votes she got.) 

You're right that 10% of dems wouldn't have voted for Trump if Sanders was running the general election. In fact Trump would've gotten even more democrats to switch! It works both ways LOL ...

Bernie Sander's is not against immigration, in fact he is pro-immigration so he wouldn't use similar rhetoric like Trump did against Muslims ...

"Dumb" Hillary was arguably the Democrats best chance at the whitehouse all things considered when she could court minorities all around and the likely voters too since she also had some appeal to older voters as well ... 

Also Sanders is hardly like Trump from lifestyles, history, and all the way to beliefs ... (Rich vs Poor Christian vs Jewish Stable employment vs Unstable employment Businessman vs Politican Socially progessive vs Socially moderate Fiscally progressive vs Fiscally moderate Nationalism vs Anti-nationalism etc) 

There's more to Trump's countryside appeal than just economic nationalism and pseudo-political independence plus it's hard to control the executive branch for more than two elections so the cycle wouldn't have been favourable to Bernie either along with the minorities ... 

View on YouTube

He's for securing the border just like Trump. That was his message during the campaign. He's not for deporting the illegals but even Trump back pedalled on that DURING the election. The 3 million gap between him and Hillary would've been smaller if independents were allowed to vote. Bernie supporters suspicions were confirmed by the wikileaks and the DNC scandal. Bernie and Trump are similar on the issues that actually mattered to people. Trade deals, securing the border and stop dumping low wage workers that are taking Americans' jobs, Bernie could also advertise himself as an anti-establishment figure as well, and he would've sounded more believable than Trump and had more republicans vote for him. He's also for free college and free health care, another 2 important issues that Hillary and Trump don't have clear stance on. Yes, Hillary bent to Bernie's demands on free education later on but did anyone actually believe her? People had a hard time believe she's anti-TTP, she was just that untrust worthy. 

I am not saying he was gonna win 100%, I am saying he could've won. Why you are up in arms sneering at people thinking he could've won? Dumb Hillary lost to Trump by few points, SHE could've won had she managed her campaign better and didn't depend entirely on smearing Trump instead of connecting with people. Oh, and She's that dumb but still won the popular vote by 2.5 millions. American democracy is just funny that way. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
LurkerJ said:

We know for a fact that the primaries were rigged by the DNC. Why are we using data from the primaries as an indicative of a hypothetical election results?

If Bernie won, he would've continued building momentum and Hillary voters would've voted for him. Unlike the bernie bros who vowed to #neverhillary.

10% of dems voted for Trump, I highly doubt that would've happened if Sanders replaced Hillary.

Trump would've lost voters to Sanders if people got to know about him more, he always stood against immigration and trade deals, the two issues that pushed Trump to win.

He was always against the Iraq and always pro-gay marriage. You can't make a video of Sanders lying for 15 minutes straight like you could with Hillary and Trump.

Sanders is Trump in many ways, but without the personal baggage and the questionable personality. He could've won. Even dumb Hillary lost by few points here and there, why are you making it out to be an impossible mission for Sanders?

To the *middle class* I would agree once people get to know Bernie is probably the most likable candidate in a long, long time. 

Obama has more charisma and booming speech ability, but Sanders might be even better at speaking to the "common man/woman". You can tell he is really genuine about it too, it's no sales job, Hillary always had problems with this. 

Hillary is not a terrible candidate, but she is deficient in some areas. If she had ran in 2004, I think she probably could've beaten George W. Bush. In a campaign against a more conventional opponent she probably does well. I think she would've beaten Ted Cruz (though narrowly), Jeb Bush, or Ben Carson this cycle too, but Marco Rubio probably would've presented her a lot of problems. 

Well, she ran her campaign horrribly. She had this thing about her that people couldn't connect to her or believe what she said. She's been in politics for 30 years and when you are in it for that long you certainly have said things that will come back to haunt you later. Like being anti-gay marriage and pro-trade deals. Her baggage made her unbelievable to many people, especially that everything  she said was taped lol. She's not dumb of course, but she ran her campaign horribly and stupidly.