By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: "I'd Love to See Mario on Xbox"

chakkra said:
Nautilus said:

I dont think so.First because that kind of a deal will obviously have the one that will benefit more, the one that will "own" the system those games will be launched on and remember as the "owner".And that ultimately will affect the brand.I dont think Nintendo nor MS wants to be the second guy here.

Second reason is that MS is having its own success.It seems that XOne is having a great momentum now, and it was already selling well.And it already has plans for the future, with Play Anywhere and Scorpio.The same can be said to Nintendo, with the whole Theme park/Movies/mobile initiatives, also with the Switch comming.If a deal is to be made, its not going to happen in the next 4 years.And if that happens, it will take an extra 2 or 3 years for us to see any kind of result out of that.So that wont happen soon at all, if it happens at all.

Third reason is that it is simply is more profitable to be a full owner(no partnership) of the platform or the business you are in, and thats especially true for Nintendo, because they can do whatever they want, and seeing how they do many things that are out of the box and outright different, while MS is more conservative(at least in my perspective).And time proved time and time again that this quirkiness is very profitable for Nintendo(Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Wii, DS,etc, were all born from this different way to see the industry, or if you prefer, lack of fear of doing something different).There is also the argument that you satnd to profit wayyyyyy more ripping all the profit of a platform for yourself than to split that with partners, even if you have to endure the occasional failure like the Wii U, if that means you have the chance to have another success as the Wii.Plus I see Nintendo as a very proud company.I think they prefer to go third party than to give in and make a joint partnership on a platform.

Plus its not like they wont have something to fall back to if the Switch fails(and fails here is very subjective).They will have many sources of income from all the initiatives they are doing, plus the merchandising and stuff.And since I personally think that the Switch will be successful, I dont see it happening.Like, never happening.

I think you're looking at it from just one perspective:  One hardware for both companies and IPs.  And that is not what Soundwave is saying.

I think what we're looking at here is a deal where we find SOME Nintendo IPs on MS hardware and viceversa.  That way both companies will have relatively the same benefits.

I truly believe that negotiations are already being made as we speak. 

Then that would be an even worse deal in my opinion, for one of the two companies.If most of a companies IP would be in their competitor system, potential consumers would not see a point of buying both consoles and rather just stick with one, leaving the other one not only in the dust, but with their hardware business completely on the mud.And lets be honest here, Nintendo brand as a videogame company is much much stronger than Microsoft.And assuming that third party support is good on Nintendo system on this hipotetical arrangement, people would simply flock to Nintendo system and Microsoft would be essentialy a third party developer.

People ar reading too much into this.As I said before, this is one of the few industries that competitors are very friendly and supporting(in terms of praises and stuff) of their competitors.Its one of the things I like the most about this industry.And Phil is just being that, nice.Could in the future a Conker or Banjo appearance in Smash?Sure.But that as far as they will go, and its a far cry from this joint partnership you are suggesting.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
SamLeheny said:
I'd like to see every game on every platform.
I want my Playstation homies playing Halo, but Nintendoids playing Bloodborne, and my Xboners playing Mario!

Awww :) If I could upvote this comment I would have.

Me too. I'd love to see all Nintendo games on Xbox and PS

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

chakkra said:

I smell a bromance here.  

People here are going to crucify me for saying this, but I trully believe that negotiations are already being made behind closed doors.

I don't know, but I feel like Phil Spencer is always trying to sound cute about the market and competition.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:

Nintendo on Xbox would make more sense, seeing as how many of Microsoft's own games (sans Halo, Forza and Gears) originated on Nintendo platforms.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion2 said:
0D0 said:

Nintendo on Xbox would make more sense, seeing as how many of Microsoft's own games (sans Halo, Forza and Gears) originated on Nintendo platforms.

I'm not too sure about that. Plenty of Microsoft's games have nothing to do with Nintendo at all. You're probably thinking about Rare making follow-ups about Perfect Dark or such, or things like Viva Piñata also appearing on DS, but things like Fable, Project Gotham Racing, Ninety-Nine Nights, Lost Odyssey, Fuzion Frenzy among others didn't originate anywhere in a Nintendo console. If anything, Xbox and Microsoft have much more roots with SEGA than anyone else.