By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can't Wait For Gamestop To Go Under!

The town I live in here in Texas has two privately owned mom and pop game stores that have a nice selection of used games. There is no GameStop here. As small retailers they need to turn a profit so they dont give very much for used games, but by supporting them we are helping the local economy. They do have a lot of retro systems and games too which is nice.
GameStop is just another greedy corporation looking to maximize profits at the expense of their employees and also their customers. I fail to see how making their stores sell cell phones and tablets is going to save them when there are so many other stores doing the same thing. The fact they are moving to mobile is just more proof that home gaming consoles are going away. Even Nintendo's next system is a tablet using mobile tech.

Hey! They got SONY on my amiibo! Wait a minute. Two great gaming tastes that game great together!

Switch FC: SW-0398-8858-1969

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:
GameStop keeps changing their business practices in terms of the inventory help stay revelant. But at some point I do see them going away kind of like Blockbusters did. Not quite as fast but I can see it happening.

If it does happen, we will have another epic south park episode at least ;p

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Craigslist bro. Support that resource and eliminate big business from the mix.

Yeaa fuck them!

Their used games are bearly cheaper than getting a new copy these days, their nagging is nonsense and their knowledge about games isn't as good as it should be.

For example, when I got my ps4 pro, I went into the ebgames that was closet to my house and asked him what games are good for ps4 pro. Every game he suggested apart from Uncharted 4 had zero PS4 Pro upgrades. And when I picked up bloodborne for $30, he was like, you should buy the used version for $5 less cause its the samething and cheaper.

Its like, why would I buy the used version if its only $5 less than the new copy? That entire logic is dumb cause a new copy won't be a gamble. And don't even get me started on their return policy.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Well, we don't have Gamestop here in Spain anymore, so that's that. We do have Game, which can be very dickish from time to time. I don't usually trade in games, so I don't know how their policies are in that regard.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
There's a lot of good people who work at GameStop. They don't deserve to lose their jobs because you expected a billion dollars for your used ass game. Jesus Fucking Christ, the entitlement of some people

!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

After I bought Gears of War 4 from GameStop I decided it will be the last game I buy from them, going to buy either at Target or digital purchase.

Proud to be a Californian.

Some other posters have said it: Some people work there for a living, so I won't wish anything bad for them. But Gamestop is irrelevant to me nowadays, and I can bet they're going under quite soon.

I fail to understand the loyalty that some people have to that shitty chain of stores, I'd understand if it was the only option around.... But if there's a dedicated videogames store in your town, there's sure to be other retailers.

Some people are really LOYAL, and I don't get it. When Amazon and Best Buy are much better options, heck even Wal-Mart has nice deals from time to time and they won't try to sell you gutted copies as "new" or have employees be disrespectful to you for not buying what they're told to push down on people's throats.

From my experience 99% of games are bad from an investment perspective. I have odd occasional title that goes up in value, but in general they lose 70-80% of value in their first year.

I don't blame Gamestop for what they offer for games, they are not required to buy anything for more than they want. I also don't blame me, you, or others, for going elsewhere to sell their games.

Not walked in a Gamestop in years. I did go to my local store called Game ChangerZ and I traded in Uncharted 3,Enslaved,Blazeblue Vita nd Shining Wisdom on SS and they gave me 70 bucks in credit which I then went to town and got a bunch of games. Gamestop is a farce.