By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - New Computer

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a new computer, a custom HP dv9700 laptop that is decked out. I like it alot. The only beef I have with it is that I can't use the iPhone SDK with it (as it is not a Mac). I didn't even know the SDK was Apple only when I ordered this computer. I've had it for about just over a week and its within the return period. I'm a web application developer (ASP.Net) so I'm used to the Windows environment, but I just bought an ipod touch (thinking about getting a 3g iphone when they come out) and I really want to try to write some programs for it. I've already paid off the HP Account, and I no longer have the box, but I have everything that would need to go back.

First:

Do you think I could get my money back without the box?

If so what about the fact that the computer was bought with credit that has since been paid off.

I custom ordered the computer, I am not sure they even take custom returns.

Second:

If I can get all of my money back then a comparable mac would cost me another almost grand still. Is it worth it?

OR

Should I get a mac mini just for that stuff, ($599) <- IRS stimulus check?

PS. The tech support lady got things working again but the power supply flaked out on me yesterday (it was plugged in, wasn't charging, battery died)

Around the Network

If you end up keeping the laptop you could always look into dual booting your Windows OS with OS X v10.4.10.

Here's a link with more information: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Installation_Guides

Thanks Legend, but you must have 10.5.2 to run the SDK :(

I've tried to install it but I haven't had any luck.

theshoe23 said:

I'm a web application developer (ASP.Net) so I'm used to the Windows environment, but I just bought an ipod touch (thinking about getting a 3g iphone when they come out) and I really want to try to write some programs for it

Do you want to make money with the programs or is this just for idle fun?

If the former, could you have an application ready for the iPhone/iTunes application launch?

Do you have any experience at all in programming Objective-C (or even C)?

You need to decide what the value/payout in this idea is for you before you make your decision.

*sigh* I really want a laptop.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
theshoe23 said:

I'm a web application developer (ASP.Net) so I'm used to the Windows environment, but I just bought an ipod touch (thinking about getting a 3g iphone when they come out) and I really want to try to write some programs for it

Do you want to make money with the programs or is this just for idle fun?

If the former, could you have an application ready for the iPhone/iTunes application launch?

Do you have any experience at all in programming Objective-C (or even C)?

You need to decide what the value/payout in this idea is for you before you make your decision.

I have no plans to make any money at this.

I have programming experience in C#, Java, etc.  Objective-C is an object oriented version of C.  Something I could easily pick up given enough time.

There's this one kid at school who said he wants to program, so I asked him what C++ was (whatever the hell it's called, i'm no programmer you know) and he didn't know what I was talking about.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive