By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Opinion: Hardcore Gamers Are Not The Majority Of The Gaming Market

Which consumer makes up the majority of the gaming market?

Average 107 87.70%

Hardcore 15 12.30%

Total:122
Bandorr said:

My issue with this argument is that the "average gamer" is not a "casual" gamer.
They are their own tier.

The casual gamer is the iphone/ipad/wii[bowling, tennis etc] user.
The average user knows about games, and consoles they just don't know about specs.
The hardcore user knows all below plus they care about specs etc.

Also having 3 hours outside the home has nothing to do with what tier of gamer you are. So that point just makes no sense.

In regards to the battery life thing. I have not once seen the average gamer have 3 hours in a row dedicated to gaming outside the house. They have work school or whatever that they need to do. 

Around the Network
onionberry said:
I think the market is too complicated, I mean, I have all the just dance games next to all the "hardcore" games.

A hardcore gamer plays games for the sake of gaming. It doesnt matter what type, but rather only demand a healthy appetite. Just dance doesnt make you any less of one. That type of variety makes life even more enjoyable.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
onionberry said:
I think the market is too complicated, I mean, I have all the just dance games next to all the "hardcore" games.

A hardcore gamer plays games for the sake of gaming. It doesnt matter what type, but rather only demand a healthy appetite. Just dance doesnt make you any less of one. That type of variety makes life even more enjoyable.

yeah you're right but you know the stigma, just dance and party games are for casuals!

I'd say the average CONSOLE gamer is hardcore. PC, smart device gamers aren't. Yeah, I know what you're thinking but on PC, there's ALOT of Farmville type of shit going on. lol

Bandorr said:
awesomeabe1998 said:

In regards to the battery life thing. I have not once seen the average gamer have 3 hours in a row dedicated to gaming outside the house. They have work school or whatever that they need to do. 

I have not seen a hardcore gamer have 3 hours in a row dedicated to gaming outside the house. I think that can  pretty much apply to anyone. That has to do with your life outside the house - not really about gaming.

You don't really need to have it be 3 hours in a row though. If you leave at like 8 and you only get back home at 8 - you are gone for 12 hours. Play an hour in the morning, lunch and dinner that is still 3 hours - but not in a row.

It is really more about time management than being casual/average/ or hardcore.

Yeah but then that takes into factor where you exactly are and whether u can charge it ot not, and most of the time you can find a power source to charge.

Around the Network

And I think you people should stop classifying gamers in order to make you belive that you're in a "higher tier" than other people.

Bandorr said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

A hardcore gamer consumes a lot of games because its their passtime. Knowing specs doesnt make anyone hardcore anything. I have a friend who plays his Xbox 360  and has the most powerful PC (but wont play on it), and knows his specs....but hes still casual.

I'd argue it is more about getting involved in it than anything. If someone reads every strategy guide, website, memorizes the rules etc - but only plays D&D one a month I'd still consider him very hardcore.

Someone playing a lot of games, is just playing a lot of games. Anyone can do that.

I guess it would be easier to sum it up in "time spent on it". If you are spending time reseaching each game, hardware etc that is as hardcore as spending 40+ hours a week playing one. Just in a different way.

As I said before to someone else, I have a friend who is a tech lover and talks about every new PC part he buys no different than a car enthusiast. He is what i'd called a tech enthusiast...not a hardcore gamer. He barely games at all, so he comes to me to request help on what to buy and refuses to play on his monster PC which could play almost any game on ultra (I guarantee  it). At this point I would suspect his PC is worth well over four or five grand based on parts. All of that...and he only wants to play a handful of shooters on his Xbox 360. 

Casual gamers dont care to buy every game and thats perfectly fine becasue they make up the majority, so the developers are going to make iphone games for them or they will come back to consoles and play madden or cod. Its more complex than we think. They know its not their passtime. Hardcore gamers are the people with the collections, who play every game and play many within a varied span of difficulties because they play for the challenge.

The market favor casual gamers because they will buy the popular game - most marketed game - cool looking game of the moment.
The way I see a hardcore gamer would research more, be that in games, indie games, specs, exclusives, particular franchises, companies, developers or whatever interests him/her more.

onionberry said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

yeah you're right but you know the stigma, just dance and party games are for casuals!

Thats an insecurity based boys club trip. The majority of dance game players are casual (like many other games) because they've always involved motion controls (which opens the doors for non-traditional gamers) , but a hardcore gamer can consume them just the same. I know I do. Im more of a dance central guy though. Haha

S.T.A.G.E. said:
onionberry said:

Thats an insecurity based boys club trip. The majority of dance game players are casual (like many other games) because they've always involved motion controls (which opens the doors for non-traditional gamers) , but a hardcore gamer can consume them just the same. I know I do. Im more of a dance central guy though. Haha

well yeah, fun is fun and I like fun!! can't wait to get a dance arcade, someday! I need a bigger apt lol