By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS4pro HDD vs SSD test up: DF tests & NXGamer. Final 5-40% perf improvement

aLkaLiNE said:
walsufnir said:

I would argue with an SSD and SATA2, you would see similar benefits.

There's no point to argue, as this can literally be tested by using identical SSD drives on a regular Ps4 and on a Pro.

I never said otherwise.

Around the Network
antigin said:

A year ago I tested a bit SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD on my PS4 compared to stock HGST 500GB 5400rpm HDD:
-------------------------------------------------HDD------SSD
FULL PS4 START-----------------------------35s-------25s
FALLOUT4 START(UNTIL MENU)--------22s-------20s
FALLOUT4-SAVE LOAD (IDENTICAL)----56s-------37s
THE WITCHER3 START---------------------34s-------28s
THE WITCHER3-SAVE LOAD--------------93s-------68s
ROCKET LEAGUE START-------------------22s-------19s

w all we need is someone with an SSD in a pro to run the same tests. Albeit only on the game starts not the swve load tests unless of course the person has the exact same save loads as you :)

Intrinsic said:
antigin said:

A year ago I tested a bit SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SSD on my PS4 compared to stock HGST 500GB 5400rpm HDD:
-------------------------------------------------HDD------SSD
FULL PS4 START-----------------------------35s-------25s
FALLOUT4 START(UNTIL MENU)--------22s-------20s
FALLOUT4-SAVE LOAD (IDENTICAL)----56s-------37s
THE WITCHER3 START---------------------34s-------28s
THE WITCHER3-SAVE LOAD--------------93s-------68s
ROCKET LEAGUE START-------------------22s-------19s

w all we need is someone with an SSD in a pro to run the same tests. Albeit only on the game starts not the swve load tests unless of course the person has the exact same save loads as you :)

I will try to test og ps4 with stock hdd vs og ps4 with ssd vs ps4 pro with stock hdd vs ps4 pro with the same sdd.

Radek said:

Hmmm. I'd personally either go with stock 1TB 5400 RPM or upgrade to 2TB 7200RPM. The difference isn't huge and big SSD is expensive. Why do they still install 5400 RPM HDD's in consoles? 7200 RPM would surely help with loading.

consoles are optimized for performance/dollar - 7200RPM doesn't offer more performance in games, but does increase cost/heat/power consumption ever so slightly

antigin said:
Intrinsic said:

I will try to test og ps4 with stock hdd vs og ps4 with ssd vs ps4 pro with stock hdd vs ps4 pro with the same sdd.

This. We know any SSD will have lower loading times vs HDD. I don't see the point of knowing if we save 20% or 40% time. Totally pointless.

But OG PS4 stock HD vs Pro stock HDD is a much more interesting comparison because this is what most people are interested in and could show hardware improvements in Pro concerning HDD accesses.

Around the Network
globalisateur said:
antigin said:

This. We know any SSD will have lower loading times vs HDD. I don't see the point of knowing if we save 20% or 40% time. Totally pointless.

But OG PS4 stock HD vs Pro stock HDD is a much more interesting comparison because this is what most people are interested in and could show hardware improvements in Pro concerning HDD accesses.

No it's not because there won't be much differences.

OG PS4 SSD vs Pro SSD would be interesting. Mechanical drives suck, no matter if you put them into a PS4, a Pro or a new computer. Especially the comparison is off if it isn't the same drive you are going to test.

walsufnir said:
globalisateur said:

OG PS4 SSD vs Pro SSD would be interesting. Mechanical drives suck, no matter if you put them into a PS4, a Pro or a new computer. Especially the comparison is off if it isn't the same drive you are going to test.

The long loading times on PS4 (and other consoles) are only partly the fault of the HDDs inside, they aren't the only bottleneck. Something else has to be the cause of these long loading times on PS4, XBO and other consoles. Not only SSDs but also HDDs can't show their full potential in these consoles.

Or why else are multiplatform games (The Witcher 3, Fallout 4...) loading faster even from an HDD on a PC than from SSD on a PS4/Pro?

Conina said:
walsufnir said:

The long loading times on PS4 (and other consoles) are only partly the fault of the HDDs inside, they aren't the only bottleneck. Something else has to be the cause of these long loading times on PS4, XBO and other consoles. Not only SSDs but also HDDs can't show their full potential in these consoles.

Or why else are multiplatform games (The Witcher 3, Fallout 4...) loading faster even from an HDD on a PC than from SSD on a PS4/Pro?

It could be that it takes computing time because of drm and/or disk encryption that is required so the CPU might also limit the transfer rates.

Conina said:
walsufnir said:

Yes, you are right. I can't recall where i read or watched it, but the PS4og had a southbridge that was all xonnexted via a USB3 interface. Thats HHD, USB ports, BT controllers...etc.

Usually, the southbridge on PCs either have multiple dedicated interfaces for every connection it supports or connects eveeything via a 16x PCiE lane. 

In the case of the PS4og, that would have been the biggest limiter and would have been something sony did to keep the cost of the Chip and board to a minimum. They most likely have changed that now with the PS4pro.

updated OP