By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Here's why Nintendo shouldn't make a new Smash, Kart, or 2d Mario for Switch

I guess I just don't see what new 2d Mario games have to offer at this point? I mean as far as Mario sub-franchises go, I'd much rather have either Galaxy 3 or 3d World 2 (or both) than another 2d Mario Bros. After NSMB2 and NSMBU the series just felt tapped out to me.

Maybe a Mario Maker 2 rather than just an enhanced port, that includes a game of officially made levels in addition to the creation suite (reworked to fit Switch better)? 

Around the Network

well it will depends how much support nintendo secures from 3rd parties.

They may not have a choice but to make mario kart 9 10 11 etc..

HyrulianScrolls said:

I guess I just don't see what new 2d Mario games have to offer at this point? I mean as far as Mario sub-franchises go, I'd much rather have either Galaxy 3 or 3d World 2 (or both) than another 2d Mario Bros. After NSMB2 and NSMBU the series just felt tapped out to me.

Maybe a Mario Maker 2 rather than just an enhanced port, that includes a game of officially made levels in addition to the creation suite (reworked to fit Switch better)? 

There is alot to still be done with 2D Mario, the "New" series was great since it was the first 2D Mario in over a decade and the Wii version brought multiplayer, but the series has gone stale and is in need of a shake up.

New artstyle is a must, all 4 of the "New" games share the same artstyle and is kinda bland at this point.

World design, the series has been sticking to the forest, desert, ice, etc. formula. Start coming up with new and interesting worlds, Mario Land 2 was pretty great about this, it had Space Zone, Macro Zone, Pumpkin Zone. Just come up with some original worlds.

New gameplay mechanics. Each game has added a few powerups but nothing that really has a big impact on the overall gameplay. Look at 3D Mario, Sunshine added FLUDD and Galaxy had the anti gravity mechanics, both of those things changed up the playstyle alot.

Boss battles, the series basically sticks with Koopalings, Bowser & Bowser Jr. Its time to start mixing things up and making different boss battles like the 3D games and older 2D games did.

2D Mario has gotten stale, that doesnt mean they should drop it, it means they need to mix it up and think outside the box.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

My thoughts are we'll have these advanced versions now and they'll continue with DLC type improvements - similar to the Luigi DLC for NSMBU.

Then once Switch proves itself as the default platform and 3DS is laid to rest, we'll see big new versions in a few years as 100% of Nintendo's development capacity is pushed on the platform and very likely a newer version of Switch is pushed out (this is where the every few years of revision/upgrades happens similar to PSPro and Scorpio).