By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tantalus about working on Switch, confirmed they are working on Switch games

SWITCH REACTIONS - TANTALUS & STRAIGHT RIGHT

With Nintendo taking the covers off the Switch, fans are hungry to know more about the system and just what games we might be able to play on it. While almost everyone who has anything to do with Switch has gone radio silent on the projects, I have been reaching out to get some thoughts from developers to see what they think.

This time, Tom Crago, CEO of Tantalus and Straight Right studios, took the time to answer my questions.

As a gamer, what is your personal reaction to Switch?

It was great to see it finally announced, after all the months of speculation. I've always loved handheld platforms, and a lot of my fondest gaming memories have come from those devices. I’m thinking Tetris on GameBoy, F-Zero on the GBA, even Lumines on PSP. So even though you can play the Switch at home, a lot of the excitement for me comes in having a dedicated gaming device that is completely portable.

As someone who makes games, what excites you about the Switch?

Nintendo have done well in terms of creating a development environment that’s friendly and systematic. That sounds a bit limp, but as a developer you’re always looking to remove barriers to efficiency. We’ve been really happy on the Switch so far.
Beyond that we’re absolutely sold on the concept. The controllers are very cool, and the possibilities they open up for local multiplayer experiences are really interesting.

Tantalus have a history of developing games for Nintendo platforms, with the recent release of The Legends of Zelda Twilight Princess HD, so how do you think your fans will react to Switch?

We’ve always worked on Nintendo platforms and now of course after Twilight Princess HD our relationship with Nintendo is stronger than ever. I expect fans will look back through Nintendo’s catalogue and think about which titles they’d like us to bring to Switch. Everyone should feel free to make suggestions on our FaceBook page ;)

Of course, a new console excites a lot of people, how has the reaction to Switch been in the studio?

It’s true, we love playing around with every new console. It’s one of the really extraordinary things about working in this industry: one day a box arrives with new hardware inside and you take it out and think, “well, I wonder what this thing does?” Then you think about bringing your engine across to it, along with your tool chain, all the while trying to design new content that leverages the stuff that makes that particular platform unique. It’s a tremendously fun ride.

Given your studios history with Nintendo, can you say anything about any potential Switch games you are working on?

I can confirm that we’re working on Switch, and have been for some time. Our titles haven’t been announced as yet, but keep an eye out for more news soon.
http://www.maxi-geek.com/2016/11/switch-reactions-tantalus-straight-right.html

Around the Network

Which WiiU port will be bringing to the Switch? I doubt it will be MK8, Smash or Splatoon, hose will probably get some new stuff. My bet is Xenoblade Chronicles X.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Twilight Princess HD+ and Skyword Princess HD!!!

No thanks!

maxleresistant said:

No thanks!

Don't you mean Skyward Sword?

Most obvious guess would be Mario Galaxy HD collection and Zelda Skyward Sword HD.

Around the Network
Mr.GameCrazy said:
maxleresistant said:

No thanks!

Don't you mean Skyward Sword?

oh yeah, just woke up, brain is not really fully awake ^^

Skyword Sword HD !!!

Miyamotoo said:
Most obvious guess would be Mario Galaxy HD collection and Zelda Skyward Sword HD.

If it's a remaster, I hope they go for something older, like a N64 or GC game. And that it will be a true remake, and not a lazy remaster like Nintendo normally do.

maxleresistant said:
Miyamotoo said:

If it's a remaster, I hope they go for something older, like a N64 or GC game. And that it will be a true remake, and not a lazy remaster like Nintendo normally do.

It would be cool to see a Super Mario Sunshine remaster imo.

maxleresistant said:
Miyamotoo said:

They don't can really remastere N64 game, N64 game would need whole remake (especially on Switch) not just a remaster, but you can remaster GC/Wii/WiiU games. They will not gave to Tantalus to make full remake of same game, also full remake takes lotsa a time and resources, much more than remasters require, In case of full remake they would just go for new game than instead of full remake.

"Lazy remaster like Nintendo normally do"!? You can say that only if you completely ignoring all other remasters on market, because Nintendo remasters are much better than other usuals remasters on market, Zelda OoT 3D, Zelda MM 3D and Zelda WW HD (espacily Zelda WW HD) are all great remasters.

Mr.GameCrazy said:
maxleresistant said:

It would be cool to see a Super Mario Sunshine remaster imo.

Eternal Darkness would be on the top of my list. That and Nintendo finally helping Shadow of the Eternals.

It's kind of hard with Nintendo, because a lot of their sequel to their games are already sort of remakes of the previous ones.