By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Unfriending due to Political Differences

Would you unfriend someone due to political differences?

Yes 53 21.54%

No 152 61.79%

Unsure 41 16.67%

Total:246
FloatingWaffles said:

Jesus Christ dude, your whole post was the epitome of you saying: "IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH MY OPINION YOU'RE AN IDIOT!". You say that Trump has no respect for anyone yet you just wrote one of the most hatred filled comments i've seen on this whole website, on top of saying that you hope somebody kills him, which is crazy and just shows how ridiculous you are acting. If you're honestly hoping that anybody gets killed just because they have different views on something than you, then you're no better than the people you're trying to call idiots or say they should be hated. And before you try to say "Well Trump said it first", two wrongs don't make a right. If you're going to try to say he's horrible for that, and then proceed to say that same thing about him, you're just as horrible. 

The election is an opinion. It's about people choosing who THEY think is better for the office, which is why people are given the right to vote. If somebody is voting for Trump, it doesn't make them anything. If somebody is voting for Hillary, it doesn't make them anything. It's just an opinion on who they think is better suited. While you might not think Trump is, other people do think he is. You have no right to try to call them idiots because of them DARING to have a different view from you. You don't get to tell them that their opinion is wrong just because you think it is, because that's YOUR opinion, not theirs. 

I've written this once before on this site, but I'm really tempted to vote for Trump just to make people like you who post stuff like this angry just because of how outrageous you are acting and to show how wrong you are. Seriously, I couldn't give less of a shit about politics and I don't really pay attention to the elections, but i'm tired of seeing posts of people trying to tell Trump supporters or anyone that supports Trump that if they do it that means they are automatically racist or some shit and that their opinion is wrong and that they are trash just because they DARED to have a different opinion from yours, just like what you're doing right now with your whole post. It doesn't mean i'm an idiot. It doesn't mean i'm anything, although i'm sure you'll try to call me something. I can vote for whoever the fuck I want to for any reason I want to. I could vote for one of them just because they had the same favorite ice cream flavor as me. Chill out.

If this is how you act towards anyone that has a different view on something than yours, then you might as well not even bother talking to anyone in this world since, newsflash, everyone has their own opinion. 

If you think it's just about 'a different opinion than mine' and not 'this viewpoint in particular', then you are missing the point and are oversimplifying the matter.  

This isn't someone liking Xbox over PS4 or preferring DC movies to Marvel movies, this is the President of the United States of America. This isn't different preferences, it's a potentially catastrophic level of stupid.  I don't care if people disagree with me, but some 'opinions' can be harmful, and some 'beliefs' can be wrong.  Supporting trump is an ethically bankrupt decision and him winning would be a very bad thing, indeed.  Not for me, I'm Canadian and it has no impact on me, but when your country houses over 300 million people...well, that's a lot of people who may get fucked because too many of their population thought it was a funny joke to vote for the ignorant, racist, xenophobic, homophobic, woman hating, reality TV star instead of actual politicians who know what they're doing and actually give a shit.  

Supporting Trump might as well be treated as an act of terrorism.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

It's all so immature. Half of people on most others Facebooks arent even true friends anyway. And for people to allow themselves to become divided over stuff like this shows the quality of the person(s). Seriously, people are losing friends and what not because of lame political differences. And this year over a corrupt to the core vile woman vs a completely moronic billionaire loudmouth. 

I dont want to live on this planet anymore...

The issue is that if the person is an actual friend and not a pretend friend like a facebook friend...

political differences should not cause an end to a friendship as that friendship is based on something more then just politics but a personal connection of two people who like each other.

WolfpackN64 said:
I wouldn't diss on my family because of political differences (and I usually keep politics to a minimum with them), but any of my facebook friends who show right or far right tendencies I defriend without making a fuss.

Consequently, most of my facebook friends are left/far left.

Well imo it poorly reflects on yourself if you cant be a friend with aperson of right wing politics... 

They can be good people as well..

This notion that only left wing people are fun and cool is silly and narrow minded.

Politics does not define a person, it is a part of a person .

LadyJasmine said:
political differences should not cause an end to a friendship as that friendship is based on something more then just politics but a personal connection of two people who like each other.

This is a big part of what I was trying to express in the OP. The way you frame it is logical and straightfoward.

It's gotta be based on the person at the end of the day. A KKK Trump supporter is certainly different from an average Trump supporter. If you unfriend them because they're a Trump supporter and you think that speaks volumes about their personality...well then you were blind to their personality in the first place...or, you think their political choice outweighs their personality.

Both seem faulty on the accuser's end...

Around the Network

Well I think people who respect differing political viewpoints are likely people who are from the centre so they can sympathize or perhaps see certain viewpoints.

This sounds harsh but if people go the far left or the far right, the further they go the more blind they become.

Runa216 said:
FloatingWaffles said:

Jesus Christ dude, your whole post was the epitome of you saying: "IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH MY OPINION YOU'RE AN IDIOT!". You say that Trump has no respect for anyone yet you just wrote one of the most hatred filled comments i've seen on this whole website, on top of saying that you hope somebody kills him, which is crazy and just shows how ridiculous you are acting. If you're honestly hoping that anybody gets killed just because they have different views on something than you, then you're no better than the people you're trying to call idiots or say they should be hated. And before you try to say "Well Trump said it first", two wrongs don't make a right. If you're going to try to say he's horrible for that, and then proceed to say that same thing about him, you're just as horrible. 

The election is an opinion. It's about people choosing who THEY think is better for the office, which is why people are given the right to vote. If somebody is voting for Trump, it doesn't make them anything. If somebody is voting for Hillary, it doesn't make them anything. It's just an opinion on who they think is better suited. While you might not think Trump is, other people do think he is. You have no right to try to call them idiots because of them DARING to have a different view from you. You don't get to tell them that their opinion is wrong just because you think it is, because that's YOUR opinion, not theirs. 

I've written this once before on this site, but I'm really tempted to vote for Trump just to make people like you who post stuff like this angry just because of how outrageous you are acting and to show how wrong you are. Seriously, I couldn't give less of a shit about politics and I don't really pay attention to the elections, but i'm tired of seeing posts of people trying to tell Trump supporters or anyone that supports Trump that if they do it that means they are automatically racist or some shit and that their opinion is wrong and that they are trash just because they DARED to have a different opinion from yours, just like what you're doing right now with your whole post. It doesn't mean i'm an idiot. It doesn't mean i'm anything, although i'm sure you'll try to call me something. I can vote for whoever the fuck I want to for any reason I want to. I could vote for one of them just because they had the same favorite ice cream flavor as me. Chill out.

If this is how you act towards anyone that has a different view on something than yours, then you might as well not even bother talking to anyone in this world since, newsflash, everyone has their own opinion. 

If you think it's just about 'a different opinion than mine' and not 'this viewpoint in particular', then you are missing the point and are oversimplifying the matter.  

This isn't someone liking Xbox over PS4 or preferring DC movies to Marvel movies, this is the President of the United States of America. This isn't different preferences, it's a potentially catastrophic level of stupid.  I don't care if people disagree with me, but some 'opinions' can be harmful, and some 'beliefs' can be wrong.  Supporting trump is an ethically bankrupt decision and him winning would be a very bad thing, indeed.  Not for me, I'm Canadian and it has no impact on me, but when your country houses over 300 million people...well, that's a lot of people who may get fucked because too many of their population thought it was a funny joke to vote for the ignorant, racist, xenophobic, homophobic, woman hating, reality TV star instead of actual politicians who know what they're doing and actually give a shit.  

Supporting Trump might as well be treated as an act of terrorism.  

Edit: Please read previous clarifications. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 16 August 2021

Like in real life, I got many friends online with political opinions different from mine, and usually I enjoy discussing with them.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

LadyJasmine said:
WolfpackN64 said:
I wouldn't diss on my family because of political differences (and I usually keep politics to a minimum with them), but any of my facebook friends who show right or far right tendencies I defriend without making a fuss.

Consequently, most of my facebook friends are left/far left.

Well imo it poorly reflects on yourself if you cant be a friend with aperson of right wing politics... 

They can be good people as well..

This notion that only left wing people are fun and cool is silly and narrow minded.

Politics does not define a person, it is a part of a person .

It's not about being fun and cool, that would be rediculous. It's about having a correct worldview. And while I happily discuss politics with everyone, I have no time to amuse neoliberal assholes as part of my circle of friends.

LadyJasmine said:
Well I think people who respect differing political viewpoints are likely people who are from the centre so they can sympathize or perhaps see certain viewpoints.

This sounds harsh but if people go the far left or the far right, the further they go the more blind they become.

Which makes me wonder...how many people in America are actually left, right, or center? 

The population is like 400 million of which only about 50 million vote. Looking at Romeny/Obama the election was close about 45/55. So of the 50m it's roughly 25m Left, 25m right. And considering the mentality is generally "lesser of two evils" many of those 25m are in fact centrists who simply have no choice but to stick with their party's candidate.

So, yeah, what do you guys think? How many are actually purely left/right?