By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Got a UHD HDR TV, a PS4 Pro, and a PSVR? I've got some bad news...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/3/13150140/playstation-vr-4k-hdr-pass-through

Posting from my PC for the first time in forever and the ads won't even let me see what I'm typing!  Anyway,  I bought a PSVR.  Loved it.  It got me excited enough to pre-order the PS4 Pro.  If the PS4 does VR this good, thePro should do it better, right?  Then, I started thinking--with all of the power that a Pro offers, I should go ahead and get a 4K UHD TV that suppors HDR.  So, I did.  Then I started thinking, "Doesn't HDR require USB 2.0?  I don't think my PSVR cam with USB 2.0...."

After a bit of research, I found out that, to use HDR, I'm going tohave to disconnect the VR Headset every time!  It's no dealbreaker since, after thatinitial connection, thePSVR isn't really that intimidating to connect or disconnect.  I just don't look forward to having to fiddle with my HDMI Ports whenever I want to experience one or the other--especially since I've mangaged to get FIVE consoles and a satellite reciever connected to a TV with only 4 HDMI ports (quite proud of myself...).  Anyway, now you know.  And knowing is half the battle.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
Yeah, that is kind of silly of Sony to design it like that.

Yeah.  Especially since the Pro boosts game performance, VR performance, and 4K performance.  They all kind of played a factor in my purchase of the other stuff.  Maybe Sony will offer an upgraded Processor Unit if both the Pro and PSVR do really really well in sales.

Odd of them to do that but good find on your part. Thanks for sharing!

...seems like your wallet is taking a beating lol

V-r0cK said:

It's not a pretty sight.  I'm desperately waiting for Sony to give me that $15 PSN reward.  That's my gaming budget for the rest of this year!

Doesn't work with an HDMI switch?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Yeah, I just discussed about this with one of my coworkers a couple of days ago. Odd thing to do indeed. Not a dealbreaker for me , but it is an extra hassle.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

vivster said:
Doesn't work with an HDMI switch?

I don't know.  Maybe if the switch supports HDR.  I'm using two of these to get everything running on my Bravia

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HXFARS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As well as a Sony amp with 4 extra HDMI ports:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH550-5-2-Channel-Receiver/dp/B00J30GXW2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478188644&sr=1-1&keywords=sony+strdh550 (I THINK this is the one I have.  They all look so similar!)

The back of my TV already looks like a sci-fi movie prop.  Not sure if I need to add anything else.

twintail said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1304983

Just for you OP :)

enjoy your VR

That is AWESOME! Looks like it should be cheap, too. Thanks, man.

d21lewis said:
V-r0cK said:

It's not a pretty sight.  I'm desperately waiting for Sony to give me that $15 PSN reward.  That's my gaming budget for the rest of this year!

lol lets hope that Sony does a Flash Sale soon :P  

But you're definitely ready for gaming this holiday :)

This would be a no go for me. I already have eight consoles running through an AVR right now and even adding the Switch is going to require me to put two of my HDMI devices on an additional switch. I know that the wife won't be tolerating too much more clutter :)

When I'm recording, there's also a splitter on the HDMI out before it hits the projector...

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7