By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Handheld Switch predictions

Well, there are several things are confusing about Switch. We see a trailer with a 70% on the go device, but Nintendo says "primary and foremost a home console". New pokemon entry for 3DS by the time switch was first planned to release, the home console games on the trailers and the continum support of 3DS also indicates that switch is a home console and will have mostly home console experiences. For a while.

So, I tryied to speculate about a possible handheld switch.

-Is basically a smaller switch(no bigger than Vita) without a dock (and probable dock performance improvments), runs all home switch games(with on the go performance).

-No TV output. It is focused to be a handheld. Better battery life due better technology and smaller screen.

-Still the switch phylosofy: but instead TV and 'on the go', now switch between horizontal and vertical screen, just putting the joy-cons on the specific side of the screen.

-In vertical screen mode, runs DS and 3DS games, and works like a 2DS. (also, have a slot for the cartridges).

-Some mobile touchscreen ports, that will no run on home switch.(touch screen games mostly)

-Smaller joy-con, and all of home switch's multiplayer capabilities.

-2018 relase(probably on holidays). Together with pokemon eclipse. But the 3DS's version.(no specific switch version)

-Release price 100$ cheaper than home switch release price.

-2019 release of the glorious HD 8th generation of pokemon.(playable in both switches, of course).

-Home and handheld switches will outsell wii U+3DS combined. Probably, more than 100M combined.

Pretty easy predictions, but I havent seen any one put all that together.

Around the Network

I don't really personally see the point of cutting off TV output. It likely does not save you much money at all.

Some people really are in a rush to go back to the old Nintendo hardware model, but the whole point of doing the Switch is to try something new.

A smaller version of the Switch, sure that'll be doable with natural die shrinks over time, but no reason to remove the TV output.

You're not magically saving $100 by removing the dock, no way. The price of the dock will probably eventually be like $5-$10 at a manufacturing level when Nintendo is pumping out millions of them. 

Personally I'd rather have a larger NS. A lot of the stuff they showed in the trailer and playing together is going to be shit on a 6-inch screen. You need at least a 8-9 inch display to comfortably have people gather around like that minimum. 

You may get a handheld only model, but what's the point now that you can have both within the same device? The dock will be something rather cheap, 90% of the system is on the tablet. A newer version can be released, smaller and with better battery life, but it will have its own dock to play on the TV. The hybrid is here to stay.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
You may get a handheld only model, but what's the point now that you can have both within the same device? The dock will be something rather cheap, 90% of the system is on the tablet. A newer version can be released, smaller and with better battery life, but it will have its own dock to play on the TV. The hybrid is here to stay.

The name of the device is even "Switch", why have a "Switch" that can't "Switch". 

What are they going to call it the "unSwitch"? lol. 

Soundwave said:
Darwinianevolution said:

The name of the device is even "Switch", why have a "Switch" that can't "Switch". 

What are they going to call it the "unSwitch"? lol. 

Well, they did cal the 2DS to the 3D-less model. XD

Around the Network

What is the point? I think its better if they dont.

This seems like a solution looking for a problem... that could just throw a wrench into the Switch, and its main selling point.

It seems like a risk, without any merit to take it.

"There is a device for people not ready to switch and it's called the 3DS".

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

You run into problems once you start shrinking the Switch as well.

Like standard Joy-Cons ... how does that work? Does Nintendo have to start selling all of them in different sizes?

What about games that ship with their own custom Joycon? This is definitely going to be a thing, will those work on the smaller unit?

What about games like Just Dance that need the TV? Those won't play at all I guess?

There's a lot of issues, I think in reality too a Switch XL will outsell a Switch Mini. People will prefer a bigger screen, not a even smaller one.

vivster said:

Yeah. for a while.

But by 2018 ending, people would still be so interested on 3DS? I think not if a device can run all 3DS and switch games...

vivster said:

Hush, Mattrick. Don't jinx this.