By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is committing a lot of the same lethal mistakes they did with the WiiU, and more.

KLAMarine said:
Is the horse dead yet?

Who cares? Lets beat it!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

No, im saying Switch appeals to multiple different markets. Its literally the entire purpose of its design.

Just limiting it to handheld or home consoles is too broad and doednt address the individual demographics within them.

1) Switch is designed to appeal to both the home and handheld markets.  Those are the groups that they are focusing on.  It isn't designed to reach other groups.  It isn't the Wii.  1-2 Switch and Labo do not have the reach to non-gamers like Wii Sports and Wii Fit.  It should be clear that the Switch is designed for both the handheld and home markets.

2) Right now Switch is mostly just reaching the handheld market.  It is mostly selling to people who already own a 3DS or Vita.  I'd say 80%+ of Switch owners already own a 3DS or Vita, which means it is basically selling to the same market.

Where did you take this from?What kind of reasoning have you used to reach this conclusion?Because as far as I see, there is zero evidence supporting this.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

1) Switch is designed to appeal to both the home and handheld markets.  Those are the groups that they are focusing on.  It isn't designed to reach other groups.  It isn't the Wii.  1-2 Switch and Labo do not have the reach to non-gamers like Wii Sports and Wii Fit.  It should be clear that the Switch is designed for both the handheld and home markets.

2) Right now Switch is mostly just reaching the handheld market.  It is mostly selling to people who already own a 3DS or Vita.  I'd say 80%+ of Switch owners already own a 3DS or Vita, which means it is basically selling to the same market.

Where did you take this from?What kind of reasoning have you used to reach this conclusion?Because as far as I see, there is zero evidence supporting this.

This is my hypothesis.  It is taking into account 1) total Switch sales curve vs. total 3DS sales curve, and 2) more importantly Switch sales in Japan vs. 3DS sales in Japan.  Switch is selling like a more popular version of the 3DS.

Switch is definitely selling like a handheld in Japan.  That should be clear by how much it outpaces PS4 (and every other platform) in the sales charts every week.  Only handheld platforms sell like that in Japan.  But if you look at how Switch sells in the rest of the world, NA has PS4 and Switch close to the same each week, and Europe has Switch selling decent but PS4 is ahead by a good margin each week.  That is also how handhelds sell.  In NA Nintendo handhelds usually sell about the same as the leading home console (sometimes more, sometimes less), while in Europe the leading home console tends to sell more. 

In every region Switch is selling like a handheld platform.

Handheld sales are still sales, and they have good games on it. Breath of the Wild is good regardless of it is a 'handheld' or not.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

KrspaceT said:
Handheld sales are still sales, and they have good games on it. Breath of the Wild is good regardless of it is a 'handheld' or not.

I agree.

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The argument comes from that if you remove the portability of the games, the switch doesn't have a lineup that you'd say would cause a better reception then what the Wii-U had. Yeah you have Zelda, but how many people who have BOTW didn't have a Wii-U. 

Games like Pokemon Switch and Metro will come, but it remains to be seen if they get the same attention to detail as Zelad/Mario does. 

I don't think Nintendo are doing mistakes with the Switch, i think that remains to be seen. 

areason said:
Nautilus said:

Yeah you have Zelda, but how many people who have BOTW didn't have a Wii-U. 

Probably a lot considering BotW is on track to outsell Wii U.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Wyrdness said:

Disagree some what on it selling like a handheld I think we're still quite a way from that point due to pricing still being with in console range as remember the 3DS itself struggled its initial price point, the main reason imo  is that it has established itself as a device that fits around your gaming habits whether as a primary or secondary platform for your needs or as a portable or home console. The result is both consumers from home console and portable markets are buying it for this reason for example some people may not have as much time for console gaming as they used to due to moving around for what ever reason but aren't into portable gaming before due to the type of games in that section of the market but picked up the NS as they can still play games like Doom, Skyrim, BOTW and so on while away from home.

Unlike the Wii U NS not only has a clear established identity in what it is and what it brings it both has enough to make it unique in its own right while also having enough to satisfy the traditional market leading to it being an appealing product.

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271115/switch-vs-3dsvgchartz-gap-chartsnovember-2017-update/

Look at the second chart.  You'll see the shape of the curves is quite similar.

I also 👎 that this means it is selling like a handheld. It may like that way but it's just a coincidence. It's also selling between the xbox and ps4 every month worldwide so by your logic that also means it's following the sake sales trends ad a home console.

JSG87 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271115/switch-vs-3dsvgchartz-gap-chartsnovember-2017-update/

Look at the second chart.  You'll see the shape of the curves is quite similar.

I also 👎 that this means it is selling like a handheld. It may like that way but it's just a coincidence. It's also selling between the xbox and ps4 every month worldwide so by your logic that also means it's following the sake sales trends ad a home console.

Ya the shape of the curve is because they both released in March.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
zorg1000 said:

How is that a handheld sales curve though? The reason they look so similar is due to them releasing at the same time of the year.

Edit: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/277011/switch-vs-dsvgchartz-gap-chartsmay-2018-update/

Compare it to DS, it looks much different because of the different launch windows.

I restate my original point.  Why does the Switch sell so much better than the Wii U, when their game libraries are so similar?  The answer is that it is selling mostly to the handheld market and not the home console market.  Is the Switch's sales curve more like the 3DS or the Wii U?  It's a lot like the 3DS, not only in shape, but more importantly in volume.

In other words, the real question is "who is buying the Switch"?  These customers didn't come from nowhere.  From which existing market did they come from?  Mostly from 3DS owners wanting to move on to the next generation.  

Compare it to the Wii, Xbox and ps4 launch aligned and it's also very similar.