By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September 2016 NPD Thread! XBO #1; PS4 Slim flops

Ariakon said:
Wright said:

Because it's a NPD thread...

Did you read the rest of my post?

I did, and I stand by what I said. The rest of your post feels like a consequence of the former (which is explained of it being a NPD thread) rather than an evidenced case of NPD-bias. I don't think people take too lightly the numbers of other places. PS3 basically managed to beat Xbox 360 thanks to Japan numbers and the slight outselling in Europe, and we all acknowledge those two markets being decisive factors. NPD is nice and all that, and since it used to be Xbox's territory, it's obviously the one that gets the most emphasize when going for the console marketshare discussion thingy whenever it is involved. That doesn't mean the rest is disregarded.

Then again we all know that Xbox has zero chance in Japan like Lawlight tried to ironically propose, so there's no point in bringing it up, and much less in NPD thread. It's not that it doesn't matter, it's the fact that it doesn't matter to Xbox.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
barneystinson69 said:

Its quite a bit. People here where expecting a 10-15k gap. It was a much larger win than expected.

Think of it this way - how long will it take for this gap to be oblitrated in Japan?

While what you typed is absolutely, and hilariously, true on all accounts, why would you say this and not say something a little more relevant to the thread, such as: The PS4 in November will wipe out the little ground that Xbox made up on the PS4 over the last three months in the United States, and not only will it wipe out that gap, but it will then increase the gap by an extra couple hundred thousand if not a million, just like last year

barneystinson69 said:

Its quite a bit. People here where expecting a 10-15k gap. It was a much larger win than expected.

Yep, I did. I'm really surprised it's 47k.

The PS5 Exists. 

Wright said:
Ariakon said:

Did you read the rest of my post?

I did, and I stand by what I said. The rest of your post feels like a consequence of the former (which is explained of it being a NPD thread) rather than an evidenced case of NPD-bias. I don't think people take too lightly the numbers of other places. PS3 basically managed to beat Xbox 360 thanks to Japan numbers and the slight outselling in Europe, and we all acknowledge those two markets being decisive factors. NPD is nice and all that, and since it used to be Xbox's territory, it's obviously the one that gets the most emphasize when going for the console marketshare discussion thingy whenever it is involved. That doesn't mean the rest is disregarded.

Then again we all know that Xbox has zero chance in Japan like Lawlight tried to ironically propose, so there's no point in bringing it up, and much less in NPD thread. It's not that it doesn't matter, it's the fact that it doesn't matter to Xbox.

You keep saying "we," but I wasn't saying "you." I was saying that Barney would say it's an npd thread, which is fine, since this board is generally nuanced about sales discussions, and then expressing my frustration with less knowledgeable forums and sites where the US is really the only region that is treated as if it matters. And no, I'm not writing an analytical essay here, I write enough of those in grad school :)

Anyway, I didn't mean for my prior post to be argumentative, so sorry if it came across that way.

Ariakon said:

You keep saying "we," but I wasn't saying "you." I was saying that Barney would say it's an npd thread, which is fine, since this board is generally nuanced about sales discussions, and then expressing my frustration with less knowledgeable forums and sites where the US is really the only region that is treated as if it matters. And no, I'm not writing an analytical essay here, I write enough of those in grad school :)

Anyway, I didn't mean for my prior post to be argumentative, so sorry if it came across that way.

Oh sorry, I interpreted it that way, hence my reply.

Around the Network
barneystinson69 said:
Lawlight said:

Think of it this way - how long will it take for this gap to be oblitrated in Japan?

Why would I? This is the US we're talking about, not Japan.

Hmm... for perspective? Because this is the biggest market for the Xbox and yet this "big" difference is smaller than 2-3 weeks in a smaller market like Japan?

Kerotan said:
I don't think forza was good at all. I mean uncharted isn't even far behind. Superb for uncharted to increase this month, same with gta V.

NBA did amazing to grow again but I'm shocked fifa decline unless it was released for less weeks compared to last year.

The FIFA decline could be due to the lack of an xbox bundle in the US for it or digital.

poklane said:

Hardware Average Selling Price (ASP) in September 2016 USA Retail according to NPD:
PS4: $306.10
XB1: $299.57
Wii U: $298.59
PS3: $152.50

3DS up YoY

https://twitter.com/AstronautClaire

I'm surprised the xb1 won by such an amount and it was only a few dollars cheaper.

poklane said:

PS4 = 285.300 (down 19.3% YoY)
XB1 = 332.800 (up 13.8% YoY)

the XB1S sold really well this month. Considering that last month Madden did 16k and now its around 60k. Will be interesting to get Halo numbers.

GribbleGrunger said:
barneystinson69 said:

Yep, I did. I'm really surprised it's 47k.

This. I expected around a 47k gap to be in the PS4 favor tho.

wedemboyz said:
aLkaLiNE said:

Wait, isn't that the only first party game that came out that month? d:

Just to put it into perspective.
Driveclub sold 42k units frist month NPD

the only "big" first party game release that month

If you want to put it into perspective then you wouldn't be comparing an established franchise with over 7 entries to a brand new IP marred with connectivity issues at launch that also got utterly destroyed by critics. So, if you want to put things into perspective, how about comparing another first party game from an established franchise that had its own month of no conpetition from any first party title?

All I asked was, wasn't FH3 the only first party exclusive that launched that month? That tweet is completely redundant if so

Ouch! Forza sure is a niche title even dribecluv sold over 3 million

poklane said:

PS3 = 40.900 (54.3% up YoY)
WiiU = 36.300 (58.9% down YoY)

jeez

Crazy to think when the Wii was dominating the ps3 that not only would the ps3 last much longer it would also outsell the Wii U, it's successor,  in its final year.  Crazy. 

poklane said:
Ariakon said:
So, with the 47k difference this month, what is the overall gap between them? Something like 1.59 million?

I have the gap at 1.607mil using numbers from all the NPD threads on this website, but due to those numbers being rounded to the nearest thousand (for example 332.800 = 333k and 285.300 = 285k) and based on % increases it could be off by a few thousand.

Holy shit the 3 month win streak barely dented it's lead.  Come November it will be growing again. 

barneystinson69 said:
Lawlight said:

Why would I? This is the US we're talking about, not Japan.

If Microsoft can bring up other regions in their NPD pr then so can we. I don't see you giving out about microsft not sticking to the US.