By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tetsuya Nomura discusses World of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts 2.8 and III, and Final Fantasy VII Remake in Dengeki PlayStation

Hm... how many teammates will be in battle at the same time? I mean, what I would like to see is my whole group fighting with me and not just being there to get swapped. So, I could choose between everyone in battle in real time. Something similar to the battle system in The Last Story.. but you couldn't change your character.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

don't know why it double post.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
The Fury said:

deskpro2k3 said:

It's a remake, not a remaster, and FF13 gameplay was inspired by FF7 Advent Children cinematic battles. From that fact, I have no doubt that FFVII Remake gameplay is going to be a lot better than FFXIII, and FFXV, IMO.

when you think about it, there is nine playable characters in the original game, two of them is optional to unlock but besides that, I can't wait to see what Nomura has to say about the gameplay.

No, Resident Evil (for gamecube) was a remake... which was then released as a remaster (just thought how weird that is). A remaster is taking the same game just tweaking the graphics to a new setting, see most remasters this gen (also see FF7 on Steam). Remake is taking the old game and actually remaking it, new graphics and all, same game though. Reimagining, which this is, is taking the game concept and creating a new one, this is what they are doing. This certainly is not a remake, even if it's called that.

Oh the gameplay might be better than FF13 (infact that's not hard. ), and through the demo of FF15, I would say probably that too. But that doesn't mean I don't want it like actual FF7. 

• re-imagining - do it again and change almost everything.
  • [BONUS] reboot - do it again with a different plot.
  • remake - same story and doing it again with changes.

Going by the trailers and interviews, they've made it very clear that, the major plot points will not be changed, instead they'll be adding more content EX: exploring all of Midgar. So you can scratch off reimagining, you can scratch off reboot, you can scratch off remastered, and what you have left is Remake.

Hiku said:

To you, the gameplay may have been what made the game great, but to many others, it was a combination of a lot of factors that made the game stand out. Music, sound effects, setting, characters, story, gameplay, and visuals. Even today, some of the pre-rendered backgrounds look nice and atmospheric. The out of combat character models have aged really badly though.

While they said that fans wanted the ATB system, that doesn't neccesarily mean most fans. There is a form of ATB system in this game though, but it seems to be for special attacks rather than regular attacks.
The thing about action based combat is that it has the potential to have the best of both worlds, and could potentially even let you play in the old way. Doesn't look like the latter will be the case here, but I'd rather they have a less restrictive base for the combat system, as that opens up more potential.

Most of what you mentioned, I'm fine with. Imagine a FF7 game where instead of just arrive in Kalm, which is a prerender scene with varying scales of people and house, going into a few houses and it cutting to a new prerendered scene. Instead you enter a busy little village, NPCs are going about their business. Sure your only goal is to go to the inn to hear a story but you can explore a bit, going into house won't require the new loading screen, it's just and open environment, much like FF13s movement and graphics. This is what modern gaming allows you to do which has improved on FF7s mid 90s era. Animations will be smooth, and not a preset bunch ( or angry pose, jump animation, like you mention. ).

(bolded) I understand that and yes, it all formed one great game. Yet people are seemingly fine with them changing the gameplay yet keeping (nearly) everything else? What if they remove/change the cross-dressing scene? One of the most iconic parts.

But then I'm over picky, I don't like the english voice actor for Cloud they chose for the films and other games he's in so... If Cid doesn't say S*** at least once, I'll be sad.

Hmm, pie.

Peh said:
Hm... how many teammates will be in battle at the same time? I mean, what I would like to see is my whole group fighting with me and not just being there to get swapped. So, I could choose between everyone in battle in real time. Something similar to the battle system in The Last Story.. but you couldn't change your character.

Going by what the trailer showed us, in this clip they switched over to Barret, and did Big Shot.

Notice he got his own attack, magic, summon, and item commands?

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:

Going by the trailers and interviews, they've made it very clear that, the major plot points will not be changed, instead they'll be adding more content EX: exploring all of Midgar. So you can scratch off reimagining, you can scratch off reboot, you can scratch off remastered, and what you have left is Remake.

But they are changing the gameplay. So not a remake.

Regardless of the bullcrap terminology, the more they change the less remake this becomes.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Regardless of the bullcrap terminology, the more they change the less remake this becomes.

but the plot, and storyline is still there.

deskpro2k3 said:
The Fury said:

Will it be? Until I see crossdressing Cloud I'm not going to believe them.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Will it be? Until I see crossdressing Cloud I'm not going to believe them.

Well I got a treat for you. Check out this interview, all of your fears will go away.

edit. someone beat me to it. :(

The Fury said:
RenCutypoison said:

If you want the same game it's playable on a handful of consoles and steam.

What's FF gameplay anyway ? Is this something only the "old fans" who only played FF7-9 understand ?

I've got FF7 thanks, played it a lot (I've long since lost my perfect save ) You know, the gameplay from FF2 onwards (even 1 would be fine), a strategic turn based combat. KH doesn't have that, it's mostly mash buttons until win (I love the series but in it's own right). Nomura compared it to KH combat, which isn't even like FF gameplay. Most FFs have a similar style with variations of how the magic system works, the main gameplay is still strategic turn based (with a timer), even if it's more fast paced like FF13 or you wander around the combat areas like FF12. Maybe in the end it will be more FF7 than I think but from this interview, I don't have much faith.

It makes sense for him to compare it to KH when comparing it to FFXIII would bring unwanted backlash and he probably doesn't want to compare it to FFXV given his history with the game.

ATB in 2016 is slow and frustrating, even FFX-2's system is feels terrible compared with more modern RPGs. Turn based RPGs sell terribly if they are not branded Pokemon, and the FF franchise gameplay always evolved towards more action. The budget to make FFVII look like on par with current games is also too high for it to keep a gameplay that's now niche, while most players that stopped evolving with the industry probably wouldn't buy a console for the remake of a game they played as a child.