By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - If you had enough evidence to know that God is real, would you love Him or hate Him or what?

Tagged games:

If God was real, would you love and worship?

Yes, I would love and worship Him. 49 41.53%

No. And would not. 69 58.47%

Total:118
Eagle367 said:
Porcupine_I said:
Imagine a voice from the heavens would start to talk to us and claim to be god.

What kind of evidence could prove that to a human? How could we ever be sure it is god and not some advanced powerful being posing as a god to us?

We don't have the mental capacity to decide either way.

Yes exactly if God exists we can't comprehend Him and hence the null hypothesis does not work on him either

That's exactly the situation where the null hypothesis is used... when you can't proved the hypothesis is correct, the null hypothesis is accepted.

Around the Network
Eagle367 said:
setsunatenshi said:
is this some type of Pascal's wager?

the short answer is, no.

the slightly longer answer is:

love is something that should be earned, in the hypothetical that some sort of god exists, for which reason should I love that entity? I see no reason why I should love anything whose existence is as real to me as the tooth fairy.

on the question of worship, sort answer, no.

slightly longer answer: nothing and no one in the universe should be an object of worship. if a person would lower themselves into blind acceptance of someone else's thoughts / orders, I would automatically lose respect for them as an individual. might sound cold, but if a person will set aside their own thoughts and ideas to act as a pawn (worship) something/someone else, then why should I waste any time with them?

so yeah, there probably are no gods, but if there were, definitively it wouldn't be the one some ignorant farmers in the middle east came up with a few millennia ago.

Let's put this in perspective. You could love Him because He CREATED you and the universe you live in and if you don't worship Him, in the next life you could be in HELL for all of eternity where your skin constantly regenerates so you never stop feeling pain

so it is a Pascal's wager afterall then.

allright I'll play:

1- so if your father was a serial murder/rapist that would torture people for fun. if he would just for laughs burn your skin with with a cattle prod? would you love him still?

2- if your father had sexually assaulted your mother and as a result you were born. let's say he would have disappeared and you'd have never met him. would you love him now? really?

3- what if your father was the dictator of the country you live in, and unless you would worship him he would torture you forever. stick needles under your fingernails, your eyes, forcefeed you to make sure you'll live a long live of torture with no human contact with anyone. would that really be worth of worship?

honestly hope you're not 'offended' by my examples, but at least i know they really aren't going to happen. on the other hand apparently you believe the entity you worship will torture me forever and that's all good for you. on that basis alone it's kind of sickening the entire belief, hopefully you took a second to read this and realize what it really entails. i'm not losing any sleep though, because I know it's all crap

setsunatenshi said:
Eagle367 said:

Let's put this in perspective. You could love Him because He CREATED you and the universe you live in and if you don't worship Him, in the next life you could be in HELL for all of eternity where your skin constantly regenerates so you never stop feeling pain

allright I'll play:

1- so if your father was a serial murder/rapist that would torture people for fun. if he would just for laughs burn your skin with with a cattle prod? would you love him still?

2- if your father had sexually assaulted your mother and as a result you were born. let's say he would have disappeared and you'd have never met him. would you love him now? really?

3- what if your father was the dictator of the country you live in, and unless you would worship him he would torture you forever. stick needles under your fingernails, your eyes, forcefeed you to make sure you'll live a long live of torture with no human contact with anyone. would that really be worth of worship?

honestly hope you're not 'offended' by my examples, but at least i know they really aren't going to happen. on the other hand apparently you believe the entity you worship will torture me forever and that's all good for you. on that basis alone it's kind of sickening the entire belief, hopefully you took a second to read this and realize what it really entails. i'm not losing any sleep though, because I know it's all crap

God is basically a Yandere. You can love him because he loves you but as soon as you stop loving him, he will torture you. That of course begs the question how true can someone's love be if it immediately turns into torture if it's unrequited.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
setsunatenshi said:

allright I'll play:

God is basically a Yandere. You can love him because he loves you but as soon as you stop loving him, he will torture you. That of course begs the question how true can someone's love be if it immediately turns into torture if it's unrequited.

haha that's a fair point... and just as real as an anime character :)

spurgeonryan said:
Despite what people say here or mock here, if they knew without a doubt there really was a God they would repent and follow him.

Well, no, not really. I mean first of all its never establishes it is the christian God. So you're reading too much into it with all that "repent" thing. 

Around the Network
Dante9 said:
He'd have a hell of a lot of explaining to do. He is all powerful and he makes the rules, so why doesn't he change the rules so that everything would be better? Why would he feel the need to be worshipped? To stroke his ego? What other purpose is there for worship? How petty can such a being be?
I would not love such an entity, because he clearly is not deserving of such love. You can always say I cannot understand his reasons because I'm only human, but that's just other people making excuses for him. I'd like to hear directly from him and not from a bunch of my fellow apes who are just as ignorant as I am, altough they claim to have some knowledge outside of the human experience.

I did not say He neeeded your worship, I asked if you would love and whorship Him, or hate him like Hitchens said, or a third option.

We all have a lot of stuff in our lives that we don´t need. I even have a wiiU...

I mean, in face of enough evidence, enough to satisfy you beyond any doubt. I assume he does not need your love and worship, but that was not the question.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

JWeinCom said:
Eagle367 said:

Yes exactly if God exists we can't comprehend Him and hence the null hypothesis does not work on him either

That's exactly the situation where the null hypothesis is used... when you can't proved the hypothesis is correct, the null hypothesis is accepted.

But something metaphysical or extra physical can't be proven by physical means. It's an impossibility

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

setsunatenshi said:
Eagle367 said:

allright I'll play:

Except there is a huge difference between a father and the Creator of Everything.its like comparing a snail's speed to the speed of light. Also I do care and its a fact that He gave you the ability to have a will and freedom and he can just as easily make you do whatever He wants. The only reason to warn people of the afterlife is because we care. I disprove of physically harming or murdering people just on the basis of belief. So you chose to try to defy the undefiable so He punishes you He is omnipotent He can do anything and He created the perception if morality that we have so in context it does not matter. The only way to know whether atheists, Christians, Muslims, Jews or Buddhists or Hindus or anyone else are right is to die. You'll know where you belong and whether you were right after you die and if atheists are correct than you wont since no more consciousness. There is no other physical way to prove or disprove God is to die and by His permission return to warn the people or if God directly or indirectly speaks to you but no one would believe you anyway

SpokenTruth said:
As he is depicted in the Bible? Absolutely not. He's killed billions of people. Smited and spited. Wrathful and full of vengeance. Gives love only if worshiped and has his ego appeased. That's not a god, that's a spoiled child.

You can't really comprehend God. He can do whatever and He can warp your mind and that of humanity to change morality and can warp the universe to change physical laws He can even will you and everything out of existence without a trace and no one except Him will know you ever existed. He created energy and we think it can't be created so that just shows you if He exists, you can't comprehend Him in any way or form. You just can't

Eagle367 said:
setsunatenshi said:

allright I'll play:

Except there is a huge difference between a father and the Creator of Everything.its like comparing a snail's speed to the speed of light. Also I do care and its a fact that He gave you the ability to have a will and freedom and he can just as easily make you do whatever He wants. The only reason to warn people of the afterlife is because we care. I disprove of physically harming or murdering people just on the basis of belief. So you chose to try to defy the undefiable so He punishes you He is omnipotent He can do anything and He created the perception if morality that we have so in context it does not matter. The only way to know whether atheists, Christians, Muslims, Jews or Buddhists or Hindus or anyone else are right is to die. You'll know where you belong and whether you were right after you die and if atheists are correct than you wont since no more consciousness. There is no other physical way to prove or disprove God is to die and by His permission return to warn the people or if God directly or indirectly speaks to you but no one would believe you anyway

The examples i gave stand on their own, i don't believe might makes right. The same way like i'm much more powerful than a dog, it doesn't give me the moral right to torture it. The same way any god you can come up with has no right to turture me for a limited time, nevermind eternity.

At the end of the day i know all this is fan fiction you guys have created and taught yourselves to believe it. But for me this is quite simple, if you really think there's an afterlife and you'll be super happy there, why do you seek doctors when you're sick? Why do you eat and drink? Why don't you take risks with your life in hope to jump to the new one asap? Why do you get sad when a loved one dies?

The reality is that at the end of the day, deep down you know it's all fantasy. So you cling on to this life as it's the most precious thing you have. You cry when a loved one dies because you know they don't exist anymore and you will never see them again.

(Don't take this as me recommending you actually kill yourself, i honestly hope you have a great life and enjoy it to the fullest)