By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - To Pixel or not to Pixel, that is the question.

superchunk said:

Introducing Google's new phone, Pixel. Google has finally moved on from low-cost developer phones (Nexus line) to push out a Google designed and branded phone to directly compete with iPhone and those Android phone manufacturers who like to butcher Android.

https://madeby.google.com/phone/

I for one, am very excited to see this. I loved Nexus phones due to remaining pure Android, no bloatware and carrier unlocked. After owing 3 generations of Nexus phones, my current phone is actually the Moto X (2nd edition) as it is as close to Nexus as you could get, but had some really cool features that were not bloatware and did not prevent it from getting latest Android updates relatively quickly.

However, this looks too good to skip. Great camera, casing, CPU/GPU, storage, upgrades to Google services, vanilla Android and universally unlocked with the biggest selection of mobile radios I've ever seen in any phone.

Anyone else interested?

PSA: Don't buy it from Verizon.

Not in need to buy a phone for at least the next two years but I will be looking at this phone's latest ver up against the iPhone 8s when ever that happens. (Motorolla Flip phone,Samsung Flip phone, iphone 4, iphone 6s) as you can see don't buy one that often.

Around the Network

View on YouTube

I love 3D touch on my 6s, what the hell is he talking about!

Besides, you can use 3D touch inside apps, which makes only mildy comprable to google implementation. 

Overview and example shots of Pixel camera. Special not is how fast the camera is, stated to be better than S7 in that regard. Images definitely look amazing.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/10/18/google-pixel-xl-camera-review/

From what it sounds like with the reviews that do a pretty good side by side comparison. The Pixel 110% beats the iphone 7 camera and ends up trading with the Galaxy S7 camera.

Pixel under great lighting conditions will just slightly beat the S7 camera and it will take pictures faster. But the S7's camera focuses much faster, has better stabilization, takes low-light pictures a lot better.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/18/13304476/google-pixel-vs-iphone-7-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-camera-comparison

I am still waiting for business-insider's review but all in all, it is a fantastic camera. But I wouldn't call it justifying the price tag camera though, thats for sure.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I just wanted to quickly post Business-Insider's Camera review for Pixel vs iPhone 7 and Galaxy S7

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-pixel-vs-iphone-galaxy-s7-camera-comparison-2016-10/#in-my-first-hours-with-the-pixel-my-impression-was-pretty-negative-again-and-again-it-made-obvious-mistakes-in-color-balancing-and-focus-that-you-rarely-see-from-the-s7-or-iphone-in-this-example-id-told-each-camera-to-expose-for-leaves-on-the-upper-left-of-the-frame-3

It essentially shows what I have suspected all along. In perfect conditions with great lighting and etc, Pixel camera does get ahead of the S7 and iPhone 7. But in less than ideal conditions (which is real world conditions), it has a hard time keeping up with the Galaxy S7 in most cases and in some cases, the iphone 7. Still a fantastic camera though but not the best according to them. The S7 once again, takes the cake.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

Hang on. Has the pixel a micro SD card slot ?

If it's not the case, it's an instant 'no buy' for me. Imho a SD card slot must be integrated in every phone and I won't support any constructor that does not provide it.

Killy_Vorkosigan said:
Hang on. Has the pixel a micro SD card slot ?

If it's not the case, it's an instant 'no buy' for me. Imho a SD card slot must be integrated in every phone and I won't support any constructor that does not provide it.

No

You do get unlimited uncompressed storage for your photos and videos via cloud though so its something I suppose.

Captain_Yuri said:

I just wanted to quickly post Business-Insider's Camera review for Pixel vs iPhone 7 and Galaxy S7

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-pixel-vs-iphone-galaxy-s7-camera-comparison-2016-10/#in-my-first-hours-with-the-pixel-my-impression-was-pretty-negative-again-and-again-it-made-obvious-mistakes-in-color-balancing-and-focus-that-you-rarely-see-from-the-s7-or-iphone-in-this-example-id-told-each-camera-to-expose-for-leaves-on-the-upper-left-of-the-frame-3

It essentially shows what I have suspected all along. In perfect conditions with great lighting and etc, Pixel camera does get ahead of the S7 and iPhone 7. But in less than ideal conditions (which is real world conditions), it has a hard time keeping up with the Galaxy S7 in most cases and in some cases, the iphone 7. Still a fantastic camera though but not the best according to them. The S7 once again, takes the cake.

I was at the park talking a walk at night. Shot some photos and I wished I had a galaxy S7 lol. You will never hear me say that again

LurkerJ said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I was at the park talking a walk at night. Shot some photos and I wished I had a galaxy S7 lol. You will never hear me say that again

Loll. Samsung really went above and beyond with this year's camera. It has been over 6 months and S7 can still be like "Come at me BRO" to every new phone that comes out with its camera. It is incredible.

I will say one thing, my sister has an iphone SE and Jesus do I get jelly everytime she gets a software update. That is what I respect about Apple's phones the most, the support they give is like no other. I was talking to their customer chat a few weeks ago cause my credit card got charged cause I bought this game for my original 80gb ipod I had back in the day but my credit card expired so the charge never went through but I did play the game. It was good old Sanic. But even though I bought that over 6 years ago from itunes, they still gave me a refund cause I don't have anything that is compatible with that game anymore. I tried doing something similar with Android because I bought a game from EA a while back but they didn't support Android 5 devices and person was like, welp too bad (in a nice way).

I think if they bring back the headphone jack with the iphone 8, I will buy it and use it with my Galaxy S7 and see how I like it just to test it out as my daily driver so that if I don't, my mom's getting a new phone loll but if I do, I might switch.

Nope, S7edge its backpack case have done wonders for me. Those curve edges feel much more comfortable on hands than this iphone wannabe