By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Direct Feed Games: NX Is 3-4x The Wii U, Nvidia Pascal Tegra GPU

Lrdfancypants said:
Miyamotoo said:

3DS is currently around $150, this will be handheld and home console in one, I expecting price $249-299.

I seriously think they need to come in lower than that. 

That's a hard sell when the buzzwords will be tablet, 720p and tegra.  Just my opinion. 

But point is that isnt tablet, its a hybrid of home console and handheld, you can use it like real home console and like real handheld, you have base unit for playing at home and just handheld for playing on go. You saying like is just new 3DS.

Around the Network
Metroid33slayer said:
JRPGfan said:

They have had this discussion on Neogaf for along time.

Im not sure how the 350+ gflop number got out to the masses but its apparently wrong.

And people love to spread mis information.

The current believed to be true number is actually 176 Gflops for the Wii U.

Read this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175838

Well pretty much every gaming site says 352, have you seen the size of its gpu. There's no way it could be less than an xb360 /ps3.

You should have seen the size of the GPU in my Windows 98 Gaming Rig, that was a beast!

Metroid33slayer said:
JRPGfan said:

They have had this discussion on Neogaf for along time.

Im not sure how the 350+ gflop number got out to the masses but its apparently wrong.

And people love to spread mis information.

The current believed to be true number is actually 176 Gflops for the Wii U.

Read this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175838

Well pretty much every gaming site says 352, have you seen the size of its gpu. There's no way it could be less than an xb360 /ps3.

All those gameing sites that say 352 are all wrong (and the reason people like you believe in a wrong number).

"The Rv770 has 180 lots of 5 shaders giving a total of 900 shaders of which only 800 were enabled on the full fat die as the other 100 were spares to increase yields. Looking at the latte die it appears to have 32 lots of 5 shaders which is 160 cores meaning 176 GLOPS is the correct answer." - Marlenus

160 x 2 x 550 mhz = 176000 flops  (176 Gflops)

Zekkyou said:
Miyamotoo said:

-snip-

So what if NX failes, they have tons of money they will just try again. Saying that, nothing tells it will fail, they aiming mass appealing with affordable price, and they merged they software units.

Nintendo is a business, not a hobby group. They're not going to indefinitely throw money at their console business if it doesn't achieve the results they want. I have no idea how the NX will do, and even if it does fail they may very well try again, but every time one of their consoles fails it pushes them further towards alternatives. Hell, if the NX is a hybrid, it's already an alternative. Do you really believe that if the NX fails, which would likely drain a significant chunk of that 'tons of money' every year, that they'd just me like "meh, so what?".

They will through money on project until they think it will paid out. Of Course they will not make new console if they think it will fail.

I dont think NX will fail, but I do think if NX failed they would try again because with hardware market they have lots possibilities and full control, if they exist market they will hardly ever return to it.

bunchanumbers said:
Miyamotoo said:

Power was matters back then, and people still bought Wii instead PS3/Xbox360 because is way more mass appealing. And what about DS and 3DS, DS was less powerful than PSP and 3DS is way less powerful than Vita and again destroying Vita and actually carries solid with smartphones.

Power is somewhat important only if basically you have same product like competition, like PS3/Xbox360 or PS4/XB1, they are identical products and that's why every difference is important for them, but if you have different product with different experience power isn't really so much matter, actualy power matters only to hard core gamers, and it seems that NX will again be difrent with with different experience and again aiming for mass market like Wii.

Hybrid console that is basically handheld and home console in one should have price point of $99-149!? Now you acting silly, just 3DS is curently around $150 and it still sells (if I am correct 3DS was best selling console in US in Avgust).

Come on. You know Wii sold because of the Blue Ocean strategy. It also sold because of its low price point and gimmick. Its what also crippled its future sales and its potential later in its life. Wii was a wasteland for its last 2 years. Wii U was a wasteland for its last 3 years.

Nintendo is gambling on a user base that doesn't game to buy their system. This means if their gimmick fails, we're looking at not only a weak console, we're looking at a weak console with another failed gimmick that will drive away core gamers even more than Wii U did. Instead of doing that, they should be focusing on gamers that they know buy games. Or at the very least, making their console strong enough that core gamers don't feel like they are getting ripped off by a Gen 9 console that is weaker than consoles that launched several years ago.

And the Hybrid is even worse than doing a console/handheld. You're putting all your eggs into one big potential basket of failure. At the very least if DS failed, they still had the GBA to fall back on. If GCN failed they still had GBA to fall back on. If Wii failed, they still had DS to fall back on. Proof of this way of surviving is shown this gen. Wii U was a failure, but they still had the 3DS to fall back on. What happens of NX fails? Game over.

The way it looks now, they got hardware that is several times weaker than current gen consoles. Not to mention even further behind than the hardware refreshes. This thing will most likely be more than 10 times weaker than Scorpio when it comes out 6 months after NX launches.

And what about the rumors of a 720p screen? Seriously? We're talking about 4K and HDR these days, and Nintendo is begrudgingly upgrading to a 720p screen.

Calm down, portable with 720p screen are fine, show me a smartphone with 1080p or 4k screen that can play game at max setting with battery last for 4 hours at least

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
vivster said:

So if AMD FLOPS are comparable with Nvidia FLOPS it's still below X1. So basically what everyone was expecting.

But they aren't, Nvidia is supossed to be more powerful with the same flops when it comes to gaming.

On PC they are not, whether they are also not equal on a system with an API dedicated for gaming is debatable. AMD has gotten better performance due to firmware updates which improved card functionality on windows pc's. AMD cards also saw a bigger improvement with DX12 than Nvidia cards.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=nvidia+vs+amd+dx12&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic38rzh8HPAhUGVhQKHX4yDuYQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=EfPcaIaJCU9DXM%3A

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Miyamotoo said:
bunchanumbers said:

Come on. You know Wii sold because of the Blue Ocean strategy. It also sold because of its low price point and gimmick. Its what also crippled its future sales and its potential later in its life. Wii was a wasteland for its last 2 years. Wii U was a wasteland for its last 3 years.

Nintendo is gambling on a user base that doesn't game to buy their system. This means if their gimmick fails, we're looking at not only a weak console, we're looking at a weak console with another failed gimmick that will drive away core gamers even more than Wii U did. Instead of doing that, they should be focusing on gamers that they know buy games. Or at the very least, making their console strong enough that core gamers don't feel like they are getting ripped off by a Gen 9 console that is weaker than consoles that launched several years ago.

And the Hybrid is even worse than doing a console/handheld. You're putting all your eggs into one big potential basket of failure. At the very least if DS failed, they still had the GBA to fall back on. If GCN failed they still had GBA to fall back on. If Wii failed, they still had DS to fall back on. Proof of this way of surviving is shown this gen. Wii U was a failure, but they still had the 3DS to fall back on. What happens of NX fails? Game over.

The way it looks now, they got hardware that is several times weaker than current gen consoles. Not to mention even further behind than the hardware refreshes. This thing will most likely be more than 10 times weaker than Scorpio when it comes out 6 months after NX launches.

And what about the rumors of a 720p screen? Seriously? We're talking about 4K and HDR these days, and Nintendo is begrudgingly upgrading to a 720p screen.

Thats point, NX is again Blue strategie, again will have affordable price and gimmick. Last 2 years of wasteland but despite that Wii sold more than 100m, thats huge succes. Wii U was totally different than Wii and it seems want do well basically from start.

So what if NX failes, they have tons of money they will just try again. Saying that, nothing tells it will fail, they aiming mass appealing with affordable price, and they merged they software units.

Again, who cares about how much less powerful is than Xbox Scorpio if have great and beautiful games that can't be played anywhere else, if its handheld and home console in one, if have affordable price!?

720p for handheld screen not for TV and you really don't need more 720p for handheld, VIta has 540p and majority of Vita games ever run at lower resolution and games still look great. It asumed that will be 720p for handheld mode and 1080p in docked mode when you play on TV.

Yeah because every company loves to bleed money

Sure, ok

vivster said:

So if AMD FLOPS are comparable with Nvidia FLOPS it's still below X1. So basically what everyone was expecting.

That begs the question if 3rd parties will bother with ports now that Nintendo's console differs even more from the other two and PC. It might get some fine mobile games which should be easy to port.

Really? Like. Seriously?
AMD's flops aren't even comparable to itself.

But yes. It's still below the Xbox One.

bunchanumbers said:

I think differently. Now NX will not only have to overcome its gimmick, it will also have to overcome its own weak hardware. 3rd parties don't care about the gimmick. They want to port their games with the least amount of effort possible in order to maximize profits. This does neither.

Sadly. True.

Developers love to make one game and port it to all platforms with minimal alteration, having even weaker hardware than the Xbox One will likely compromise the amount of Multiplatforms it will be able to grab.

Support for popular engines like Unreal Engine 4 will help things a little... But only a little, the Unreal Engine isn't as popular as it was last generation, EA for instance is using Frostbite for all the games.

twintail said:
How much hardware power does ps4 and x1 have over wiiu?

Probably close to 10x overall.

There are some aspects of the PS4 that could be close to 50-100x or more the power of the Wii U.

globalisateur said:
1 - Cartridges
2 - Under powered
3 - New gimmick

This is what will prevent third party ports on NX. Cartridges is the most limiting factor IMO.

Cartridges aren't the same as they used to be. They are competitive with Optical media in terms of storage capacity and offer superior performance and durability.

Cost could still be an issue though, but with game prices as high as ever (If you account for Microtransactions/DLC/Advertising etc'), I don't think anyone really cares. :P

Zekkyou said:

Regardless of the WiiU's internal specifics (many of which we still aren't 100% certain about), the standard PS4 isn't 10+ times stronger. It doesn't even present that kind of jump over the PS3/360, and the WiiU has shown itself to be more capable than both (when its hardware is used properly, anyway).

Don't get me wrong, the WiiU is a very low-spec system, and even a system as described in the OT would fall short of the standard PS4, but the gap between the standard PS4 and WiiU is likely closer to 5 times than 10+.

The Wii U isn't necessarily more "capable" in terms of brute strength than the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 though.
But it is smarter and more efficient overall which does allow it to pull ahead when games are made it's way.

Plus you do have diminishing returns in graphics quality every time you multiply your power.
10x more performance isn't going to give you 10x better graphics for example.

teigaga said:

I was under the impression Wii U was around 300Gflops

Flops isn't representative of a systems performance.

Positive I have driven this point home with you before?

Akeos said:

Wii U have 350 GFLOPS,  see a little more... 

If NX is 3 or 4 times more,  so that means it will be 1 TFLOPS to 1,4 TFLOPS...  Nearly xboxone,  but with rescent technologie (pascal) 

It could have 2 Teraflops. It might still be slower than the Xbox One.

Soundwave said:

Pretty sure the general consensus was 176 GFLOPS for Wii U, a few people were pushing the 350 GF thing but it was on some dubious reasoning. 

XBox 360 is 250, but Wii U having more modern architecture and double the RAM can explain why in practise some Wii U games look a little better than the 360's best.

Towards the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3's life-span, developers found that Ram was one of the largest limitations with those systems and looked towards technologies like streaming from Optical Disk+Mechanic disk and impostering.
So you are probably correct on that assumption.

Miyamotoo said:

If rumours is correct, NX will be great handheld console (nothing imply that will be mediocre lol) and much better and strong home console than Wii U.

I am actually hoping it is an amazing device... A Competitive Nintendo is good for everyone, regardless if you are a PC, Playstation, Xbox, Mobile Gamer.
It's what drives innovation and keeps prices low... Plus it would be nice for Microsoft and Sony to take Nintendo seriously for once.

Soundwave said:

Your phone doesn't have a better spec than a Pascal-based Nvidia Tegra. That chip would melt the inside of your phone in an hour running at full tilt. For a mobile chip it doesn't get much better than Tegra X1, especially if they are using a new Pascal version of it.

4th gen Midguard can give Tegra a good run for it's money.

But ARM's true answer to the Tegra is actually Bifrost.

But you are right. No phone has better GPU capabilities than Tegra at the moment... But they are coming and could be here before the NX arrives.

HoangNhatAnh said:

Calm down, portable with 720p screen are fine, show me a smartphone with 1080p or 4k screen that can play game at max setting with battery last for 4 hours at least

You assume that games are being rendered at 1080P, 1440P or 4k on those mobile devices, they aren't... But despite that, there are gains to having higher resolution displays.

My Galaxy Note with it's 2560x1440 screen can last 4 hours easy in most games like Hearthstone.

Metroid33slayer said:

Yes it can. And it can still outperform the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

A large portion of the Wii U's die-space is actually caches/memory.

Qwark said:

On PC they are not, whether they are also not equal on a system with an API dedicated for gaming is debatable. AMD has gotten better performance due to firmware updates which improved card functionality on windows pc's. AMD cards also saw a bigger improvement with DX12 than Nvidia cards.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=nvidia+vs+amd+dx12&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=638&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic38rzh8HPAhUGVhQKHX4yDuYQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=EfPcaIaJCU9DXM%3A

The reason why AMD and nVidia's hardware perform so differently has nothing to do with Flops at all.

AMD can pull ahead in Direct X 12 etc' thanks to Async Compute.

nVidia will pull ahead in everything else thanks to it's tiled-based approach and other architectural advantages.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Miyamotoo said:
Lrdfancypants said:

I seriously think they need to come in lower than that. 

That's a hard sell when the buzzwords will be tablet, 720p and tegra.  Just my opinion. 

But point is that isnt tablet, its a hybrid of home console and handheld, you can use it like real home console and like real handheld, you have base unit for playing at home and just handheld for playing on go. You saying like is just new 3DS.

I'm just saying how I think it will be perceived. 

If the docking station has a chip as well and doubles the power or something then I think it will definitely be perceived as something unique and the $249-$299 price point will make more sense. 

If the dock is simply hdmi out to tv that's not going to set it apart. 

Like it or not the buzzwords that will swarm it, if all the rumors are true, will be tablet/720p/mobile processor and a $299 price point will look far out of whack with people able to grab a ps4 slim or an Xbox one S with free game and goodness knows what else tossed in randomly throughout the year by comparison and right or wrong it will be compared.  

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....

Qwark said:
Goodnightmoon said:

But they aren't, Nvidia is supossed to be more powerful with the same flops when it comes to gaming.

That has nothing to do, we are talking about Flops, Nvidia is still superior for gaming.