By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSVR will pass through 4K but not HDR to your 4KTV

Q: Does the Processor Unit support 4K and HDR pass through?
The PS VR Processor Unit (PU) supports video pass through so that you can enjoy regular non-VR content on your TV when you have the PS4 connected to the TV via the PU and the PU is connected to power via the AC adapter and the PS VR headset is not in use. This pass through support works for regular 1080p signals and also supports 2160p (UHD or ‘4K’) content in YUV 420 color format at up to 60 Hz from a PlayStation Pro.
However, HDR signals are not supported for pass through by the PU. This applies to both 1080p and 2160p HDR. If you have a HDR capable TV and want to view PS4 content in HDR, it is necessary to cable the PS4 directly to the TV.

*fixed link*

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/10/03/playstation-vr-the-ultimate-faq/

not entirely sure of the implications of this, but people over at neogaf seem pretty pissed about it.

(copy and pasted from neogaf)

Around the Network

I was really wondering about this. Absolutly stupid. Especially with HRD coming to every PS4 and the Pro coming out.

Guess this means I will have to run two HDMI cables from the reciever, and swap the cable on the back of the PS4 constantly. This will be a major inconvenience, and may just be the one feature Sony f***** up that will kill PSVR. This is the Vita not having calling and texting on the 3G model all over again. Why do they do this crap?

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
I was really wondering about this. Absolutly stupid. Especially with HRD coming to every PS4 and the Pro coming out.

Guess this means I will have to run two HDMI cables from the reciever, and swap the cable on the back of the PS4 constantly. This will be a major inconvenience, and may just be the one feature Sony f***** up that will kill PSVR. This is the Vita not having calling and texting on the 3G model all over again. Why do they do this crap?

I seriously doubt that. It is a weird that they didn't include the feature though.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Error 404
The page you are looking for could not be found…

Lol, first world problems. "Oh no, why don't my cheap low end electronic devices have high end features?? WHYYYYYYYY????".

If only people who are able to afford a PS4, PSVR and a 4k HDR TV could also afford a 30 bucks HDMI switch.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
HokageTenshi said:
Error 404
The page you are looking for could not be found…

Thanks for the heads up. fixed now.

vivster said:
Lol, first world problems. "Oh no, why don't my cheap low end electronic devices have high features?? WHYYYYYYYY????".

If only people who are able to afford a PS4, PSVR and a 4k HDR TV could also afford a 30 bucks HDMI splitter.

Again dont quote me on this , but people on neogaf are saying that this wont do the trick?

and in that case surely Sony could have just put another hdmi in?

MikeG85 said:
vivster said:
Lol, first world problems. "Oh no, why don't my cheap low end electronic devices have high features?? WHYYYYYYYY????".

If only people who are able to afford a PS4, PSVR and a 4k HDR TV could also afford a 30 bucks HDMI splitter.

Again dont quote me on this , but people on neogaf are saying that this wont do the trick?

I wouldn't know why it wouldn't. Sony could put a lot of things in their products but guess which certain gaming forum is first to complain if something is five bucks too expensive.

People should not expect features if they don't want to pay for it. People are getting already a lot more than they paid for with a $400 PS4 Pro and $400 PSVR.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
MikeG85 said:

I wouldn't know why it wouldn't. Sony could put a lot of things in their products but guess which certain gaming forum is first to complain if something is five bucks too expensive.

People should not expect features if they don't want to pay for it. People are getting already a lot more than they paid for with a $400 PS4 Pro and $400 PSVR.

Yeah fair point mate.

HDR passthrough is important, as at least half of the visual impact of a 4K signal comes from the HDR colors.